tuscl

Off topic, you ever feel like you could be doing a lot better?

My short term trading account was up about 13% ytd at the end of the day.

Some guy on the web site I follow posted that his account was up 1300% ytd.
I feel like I should learn more about options. Oh well. Just when you think you are doing good, you learn you could be doing an awful lot better.
I know I could be doing far worse too though. I'm getting a bit lucky this year I think.

14 comments

• Dougster
    10 years ago
    You're doing great!

Usually if guys are boasting that kind of return they started with a small amount of money and went allin.

A guy at work had a yearly gain around your options guy's (he was also playing option on high beta stocks) but it was because he started the year with a small amount, so losing it all would have not have been that big a deal.

• Dougster
    10 years ago
    I wonder how AfricanLovePimp's trading is going.
  • sharkhunter
    10 years ago
    I got stopped out this morning in my short term account. Oh well. I should have moved my stop up closer. Live and learn. Only up about 9% ytd.
  • sharkhunter
    10 years ago
    I was in TNA yesterday.
  • sharkhunter
    10 years ago
    TNA sounds like it belongs on a strip club site, lol.
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    Ah, you go for the turbo charged names. Probably moving nearly as fast as options on you.

• Dougster
    10 years ago
    I've been mostly shortly lately. Working overall, like today, but did get my ass handed to me yesterday.

Looks like my picks against farmerart for the year - retail brokers are going to be the big losers. Restaurants probably also likely to choke.

• ilbbaicnl
    10 years ago
    Making money by market timing is a matter of pure luck, or having information few other people have. I'd guess, for most people, the sports book is the best way to make over 10% yearly passive profit. There are always people who will bet on their favorite time, even if history shows they are major underdogs.
  • sharkhunter
    10 years ago
    Thanks for saying I'm one of the luckiest people around. I'm currently 9 percent positive for the year in my short term accounts. You can blame luck for everything. It was even luck that I placed a stop and my stock got sold the other day to prevent any losses past a certain point. I was up about 13% but it is a small account.

I also would like to thank luck and the Fed for helping my accounts. I would also like to thank luck for the market following certain patterns that have been reliable on occasion and all of this is publicly available. Expert opinions may cost money but that is publicly available as well.
  • sharkhunter
    10 years ago
    After saying the above it is true that the majority of people are better off following a balanced approach to stock market investing where a certain amount of funds are allocated to certain stocks or assets and readjusted on a particular time frame to keep their allocation percentages fixed. This assumes that the market will go up over time. When the market goes down, the readjustment would move funds from fixed assets into equities and when the market goes up, funds would readjust the percentages as well. Then if the fund is smart, the percentage of funds allocated to more stable assets goes up as one approaches retirement age. I think these are called life funds.

Some think they can do better than this.
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    ^^^ Modern Portfolio Theory

• georgmicrodong
    10 years ago
    My 401K was up about 25% last year over the previous one (not counting contributions). That is likely because I have absolutely nothing to do with managing the actual investments...
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    Hedge funds averaged about 6% last year while the general market was up close to 30%. Realizing their underperformance hedge funds apparently piled into momo stocks late last year and earlier this year. Now many of those stocks are down 20-30% from their peak. Waiting for the stats to come out as to just how badly the hedge funds are doing this year. Them boys really earning their 2 and 20, huh? :-)

• georgmicrodong
    10 years ago
    I only *wish* I had the spare time to pay more attention to financial stuff. That does not appear to be an area where my competence pertains, though.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion