tuscl

Happy Vernal Equinox

First day of spring, gang! It's been a long, hard winter.

Planning to visit the club tonight to make up for the St. Patty's day debacle.

15 comments

• jackslash
    11 years ago
    Which do you prefer: the vernal equinox or the autumnal equinox?
  • SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    Either are preferable to the Chevy Equinox.
  • steve229
    11 years ago
    I always forget - which is the one where you're supposed to sacrifice a virgin?
  • SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    When it's in La Yucatan.
  • motorhead
    11 years ago
    Unfortunately, winter ain't over in my neck of the woods.

• farmerart
    11 years ago
    Spring?....humbug! Here in Alberta we have been teased with two weeks of above average temperatures. But ol' man winter is kicking us in the ass again. Snowing right now in Calgary, getting heavier later in the day, wind building to 75kph, temp falling to the -20Cs. -30C temps at the exploration camp in NWT (which is where I'll be going again soon).

Sheesh....
  • rockstar666
    11 years ago
    Spring is morel season, which I always look forward to. Fall is elm oyster mushroom season which while less rewarding, is still fun. I get a lot of shaggy manes in the fall too. The black walnuts are ready late Sept as well... But since I hate the winter, I prefer spring to fall. Morels are equal to all the others combined!
  • skibum609
    11 years ago
    Spring? Yeah today I it is over 30 for the fourth time in the last 3 weeks, so we're getting freezing rain. Next week they are predicting snow which of course will fuck up my flight to Florida.
  • Club_Goer_Seattle
    11 years ago
    I'm with Motor. The western Washington calendar doesn't really recognize spring. It's just the second half of winter.
  • SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    @Rockstar-I just missed out on the LA Mycological Society meeting last Monday night.
  • rockstar666
    11 years ago
    LA has mushrooms?

Yeah, I currently feel safe eating about 5 species of wild mushrooms that grow around here. It's not dangerous if you stick to the ones that have no poisonous look-alikes. I wish I knew more about the purple kind, but the ones around here have LOTS of poisonous analogs!
  • SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    I have a relative in the SF Bay Area who picks and sells morrels, chanterelles, and such to various restaurants up there. He hipped me to mushroom forays. I'm a rookie but am learning.
  • mikeya02
    11 years ago
    As small kids, we all ate those little white mushrooms that sprung up on very lawn. Apparently, they were harmless.
  • shadowcat
    11 years ago
    Now I can wear my shorts to the club without being looked at as a pervert. :)
  • rockstar666
    11 years ago
    @Mikey: THOSE are the ones people confuse with the deadly amanita species!! OMG...you really need to know your stuff if you eat ANY wild mushroom that grows on lawns and looks like a store bought button mushroom! Everything I hunt and eat is quite distinctive.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion