tuscl

Cops and Clubs

Sunday, December 29, 2013 10:47 AM
I do not drink at clubs when I go by myself. If I have to drive, I do not drink at all! I have cokes instead. I think drinking and driving is a heinous crime that risks the lives of innocent people and my conscious will not let me do it. But even if I had no conscious at all, I wouldn't do it. Where I'm from (South Carolina), cops often hide out around clubs and wait fro people to leave them. They get some DUIs this way- from dumb guys who don't realize that this is happening and won't use a designated driver or taxi. I want to make sure that if a cop stops me, he will be disappointed! Do cops do this everywhere else too?

21 comments

• shadowcat
    11 years ago
    I have been visiting two Columbia SC clubs for more than 12 years and have never seen the cops lurking to bust some one. Same is true at my favorite Atlanta club. I don't drink anyway.
  • crazyjoe
    11 years ago
    Probably chances of that are an out as good as any other bar
  • tumblingdice
    11 years ago
    Tumblingtaxidice here.When I do go out and drink I got my Lovedart with me and she never drinks.Makes for a lot of crossed arms and beady eyes in the a.m.
  • sclvr5005
    11 years ago
    Yeah they do it everywhere. They need the revenue to continue to support their unsustainable pensions.
  • Alucard
    11 years ago
    They find a way to get the drunken dummies.
  • joker44
    11 years ago
    No, here in KCMO cops don't specifically target clubs/bars. Rather, they set up traffic stops to nab DUI/druggers. Often they also catch some driving on suspended license or outstanding warrant folks as well.
  • sharkhunter
    11 years ago
    I live in South Carolina and haven't noticed cops targeting everyone who goes to strip clubs. Now if you are visibly drunk, a cop might follow you. Just don't drink too much and you won't have a problem. If you don't know how much that is or you can't handle only drinking a little bit, you are probably better off not drinking at all. In NC one night I left a bar late at night and had a car follow me all through town and then down a two lane road on my way home. There was hardly no one driving anywhere and I was thinking this joker just had to stay right on my tail with his lights in my mirrors. I sped up a little trying to lose him. He sped up to. Then I sped up some more and then I suddenly saw blue lights. errrr. I told him he had been following me for miles and that his lights were in my eyes. I think I had blood shot tired looking eyes. He let me go with a warning. I was thinking next time there is only one other car on the road, assume it's a cop. I was not drunk. In NC, they can even do a spot check at the stop to check your alcohol level if they suspect you.
  • sharkhunter
    11 years ago
    My bigger concern is driving drowsy. If I didn't get enough sleep, driving for a whole hour to get back home, it can be easy to fall asleep and not even notice you are getting sleepy. I've fallen asleep while driving and that is a scary feeling when you wake up. I avoid long trips at night unless I believe I had plenty of sleep. For some reason, sunlight and bright lights will keep me awake. I wouldn't mind if my car could flash lights at me if it detected drowsy driving.
  • lopaw
    11 years ago
    I don't often go to the topless clubs that sell booze, but the few times that I have I always see the PoPo (along with the taxis) waiting out front for the driving impaired to emerge. It's like a bad version of Let's Make a Deal - will you choose door #1 (taxi) or door #2 (cop)???
  • BigCodyCooper
    11 years ago
    Shark- They used to do this so much in Lyman/Wellford that I stopped going to Nikita's (the old location before they moved and became Teazers). I had to drive 29 back up towards Spartanburg and got super paranoid even if I'd had NOTHING to drink! Dancers sometimes griped about it hurting business. Cops in that area are not exactly famed for their honesty and integrity. Cops would even walk into that club sometimes too! Granted, I don't think it's as bad as it once was now though. I have my own story. One Sunday night i drove up to Charlotte. On my way home, a cop pulled me over for failing to signal before changing lanes in Gastonia. I guess I was tired and nervous and the cop asked if I'd been drinking. I hadn't. But he gave me sobriety tests, which he said I failed. I asked for a brethalyzer and he said no. They took me to the hospital to draw blood, then to jail. I had to pay $150 to get my car the next morning (plus taxi fare). The bloodwork came back .00 BAC and the charges were all dropped. Stupid cop!
  • motorhead
    11 years ago
    Somewhat similar story. I left a club at closing and was almost immediately pulled over. The cop said he observed me crossing the center line. Which I don't believe. He asked where I had been. He saw me leave, so he knew. I said I was at the strip club but I only had soda. He asked if I would take a field breathalyzer test. I consented and of course I blew a 0.0. I think I ruined his day.
  • rockstar666
    11 years ago
    I see unmarked cars in the lot from time to time. When I do I tell my ATF to be careful with extras to strangers, and I make sure not to overdo the drinks. I've never had a DUI in spite of my drinking and I hope to keep it that way.
  • Tiredtraveler
    11 years ago
    Platinum Showgirls in Toledo was I a small shooing center at a corner and Scarletts was 1/2 block south. I was there several times while working in Toledo and the cops would set up each direction from the club and pull cars leaving the clubs starting about midnight. They would really do it on Monday and Thursday during football season due to a promotion the club did that if your team scored you got a free shot. A high scoring game = drunk idiots. I left about 11:30 one night just as they were setting up and resolved to never drink in that club. The very next week I left shortly after midnight and got pulled over. When the cop asked me I had been drinking I replied no sir I have had nothing but water all evening. He started to get snotty with me when a supervisor came over and asked me the same things and told me to have a nice night and to move on. I would also have blown a 0 is it would have gotten that far. This is the primary reason I do not drink at clubs and also to prevent the little head from doing to much of the thinking. I always see cops set up around clubs if I stay late. I seldom stay late for that reason and the fact that the clubs get crowded late with assholes that have been out drinking all evening elsewhere.
  • skibum609
    11 years ago
    I live in New England and estimate that in my 39 years of driving I have been pulled over 7 times when I have had too much to drink, albeit with zero lifetime arrests. Four of the seven have been after going to the Inner Room Cabaret 1200 miles from my home so yes they do look for us in Cocoa Beach.
  • Clubber
    11 years ago
    Since 99% of my visits are afternoon or often on my bike, I never have more than a beer or two in the hour or more I'm there. I've also not seen LE scoping out clubs in the afternoon. There were times, in my younger years, I did stupid things. But never had to pay the price, other than the drink/little head making me spend way to much cash.
  • rockstar666
    11 years ago
    @Clubber: 100% of my visits are in the afternoon. I doubt the cops I mentioned are looking for DUI's since the club is pretty empty. Whether they're fucking strippers or looking to make busts is the question.
  • dallas702
    11 years ago
    Over a year ago I was pulled over two blocks from Treasures, Houston by a local cop who said he was watching the club entrance. He asserted that he stopped me because he observed me weaving and changing lanes without signaling. That part was true - I was trying to get to the Interstate and had to change lanes on an unfamiliar road. After a brief discussion that included me asserting (truthfully, this time) that I did not have any alcoholic drinks and the officer verifying that I was legally carrying a concealed weapon (I also showed him my lock up for the weapon where I stored it while in the club) the officer relaxed. Some cops are bothered by armed citizens, this one was not. This cop claimed the the City of Houston was fighting a court battle against Treasures over local dress code, zoning and alleged prostitution. He was (informally) asked to keep an eye out for drunk driving that may be connected to the strip club. He also asserted that patrol units do often watch for drunks leaving popular bars and clubs, but strip clubs are seldom targeted. He stated that they usually leave SCs alone simply because they can take many more drunks off the road in the same time frame by targeting a popular pick-up bar or regular dance club. My opinion is the Houston cop described the situation honestly and the same conditions apply in most of the USA. Many more drunks drive out of regular bars than strip club parking lots. When cops are looking for DUI (DWI) busts they will be much more likely to watch regular bars and clubs. When they are asked to harass a particular strip club due to local politics, they will make DUI checks as the easiest way to pass a message or create a claim of "problems" caused by the club.
  • farmerart
    11 years ago
    My driver's licence is absolutely crucial to me. I came close to losing it a few years ago over my fascination with speed. Age has finally reigned in that fatal fascination, I think. If I am drinking in a club I will be walking to my hotel or taking a taxi. One Alberta club that I frequent has a courtesy van (no limo for this joint) to shuttle its drunk customers to nearby hotels/motels.
  • rickdugan
    11 years ago
    I used to drive to the clubs in Greenville SC and never had that problem. Nowadays I cab it to my road clubs and drive when I am local, though when I am close to home I am more careful to monitor my intake.
  • georgmicrodong
    11 years ago
    I don't drink when I'm driving. In fact I don't remember *ever* having a drink in a strip club at all. So I don't fucking worry about it.
  • sofaking87
    11 years ago
    Cody, I agree dude, the cops stake out the clubs in mississauga, and it ain't worth the trouble. I order a water, and avoid the DUI!
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion