tuscl

OT: Amazon's Delivery by Drones

Papi_Chulo
Miami, FL (or the nearest big-booty club)

I thought about posting this last night b4 it was all over the news today but I thought there'd be little interest.

It seems there are a lot of naysayers/haters w.r.t. this – I think it's cool and hope it happens – I think technology is great and should not be discouraged – I also really admire what Jeff Bezos has done w/ Amazon and believe if someone can do it; it's him.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101237479

21 comments

• Alucard
    11 years ago
    Drones won't get the package delivered to your front door and into your hands. IF he wants to eliminate Humans - he'll need Andoids like Data from StarTrek:THE!
  • Alucard
    11 years ago
    That's Star Trek: TNG
  • sharkhunter
    11 years ago
    I thought it would have been nice to have a spy drone when I had a hot single female neighbor who used to lie out in her backyard in a bikini. Even though I couldn't really see her too much back there behind a fence, she would often come out and wash her car which was right in front of my window next to my computer.

Camera drones probably will be coming soon. They detect motion in a neighborhood and start recording. It could be the new neighborhood watch from above. If someone wants to lay out in their backyard though without being watched or recorded, that might be a problem with an overhead spy cam.
  • Papi_Chulo
    11 years ago
    “… I thought it would have been nice to have a spy drone when I had a hot single female neighbor who used to lie out in her backyard in a bikini …”

I’ve heard of dudes that have rigged hobby style remote control helicopters with cameras in order to spy on women. Don’t know if this is urban legend or real – but def in the realm of possible.
  • sharkhunter
    11 years ago
    Probably already happened since I know I read about it somewhere. There might be invasion of privacy laws against it but our government seems to ignore so many laws and our rights so much, it's like we are losing all our rights to privacy and rights bit by bit or state by state so when an individual breaks the law, I'm not sure how the courts would rule.
  • sharkhunter
    11 years ago
    Of course why would I bother looking in the backyard with a fence in the way when she goes up front right in front of my window even waving at me? Too bad she moved. The view used to be nicer. She was literally only a matter of feet outside my window. My house is super close. The major drawback to being so close is that you can't do anything outside without your neighbors seeing everything.

I wouldn't mind using some kind of electromagnetic propulsion system to have a quiet flyer going to high altitude. I haven't thought of how to invent it yet.
  • Alucard
    11 years ago
    How will the Drone get to your front door & ring the bell to deliver your package? Will there be a size limit? Sounds like there might if Amazon planes to use these small Drones.
  • Club_Goer_Seattle
    11 years ago
    That story has been all over today's news in various media outlets. I saw the original on 60 Minutes, last night. Even Canadian TV news showed it tonight.
  • sharkhunter
    11 years ago
    Yeah I saw it earlier. I was wondering if a drone could set a box behind an empty pot up under my front porch. I kind of doubt that.

I always thought it would be cool if you could rig up little miniature anti aircraft missles and have someone fly their model air plane by and see if it gets shot down. Or maybe have model airplanes with miniature gun mounts on both and have a dogfight between model airplanes. Actually I'm thinking more like model airplane wars. It could be similar to robot battles except these battles could take place between model air planes. Plus maybe some miniature defensive base missles etc. the planes would need to try to dodge or it would crash and burn. I think that would be fun to watch.
  • crazyjoe
    11 years ago
    “… I thought it would have been nice to have a spy drone when I had a hot single female neighbor who used to lie out in her backyard in a bikini …”

These are reality already. I have a friend that bought a quad rc hellicopter and has gotten into flying them as a hobby. He invited me to a meet once at a rc shop one night. He was telling me you can put an onboard camera and record video or take pics with it. You can even put onboard GPS and some will have a flying range of several miles. You can even get glasses to wear while flying one that allow you to see the view from the onboard camera. These glasses even allow you to control the helicopter with head movements.

I did see the 60 minutes special about Amazon. These drones are similar to the ones I described above. They will have a 10 mile range and able to deliver up to 5 pounds to anywhere in the flight range in 30 minutes or less.
  • crazyjoe
    11 years ago
    A quad helicopter with a range of several miles and gps and onboard camera can be set up for $800-1,000. Gps is so you can find it if it runs out of battery power or you crash it out of your sight.
  • SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    We still rely on mules in these here parts.
  • jackslash
    11 years ago
    I like the way Bezos explores new ways of doing old fashioned things like warehousing and delivery. You can buy anything on Amazon now at great prices. I hear Amazon will soon be delivering strippers to your home via slut drones.

• SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    There's only one thing you can't order from Amazon-an actual Amazon.
  • gawker
    11 years ago
    Slick - yes you can. You just need to inflate her upon arrival. Your new BFF!
  • Alucard
    11 years ago
    This makes for a lot of Media attention, which I TRULY suspect was the whole point. The idea when seriously thought about is highly impracticable.
  • farmerart
    11 years ago
    A few years ago I saw the huge Russian helicopter, the MI-26, lift a huge piece of oilfield production equipment out of a bush camp. That particular piece of equipment probably weighed close to 35,000kg.
  • Alucard
    11 years ago
    Art, how does that example apply to Amazon deliveries by Drone? It isn't likely Amazon will use a MI-26 to deliver oversize packages.
  • farmerart
    11 years ago
    Alucard, it was just another observation how deliveries are made to locations out of the bounds of any traditional delivery methods.
  • Alucard
    11 years ago
    Okay. THX Art.
  • Alucard
    11 years ago
    I wonder how these Drones will impact the coat of delivery of items delivered with them? LOL
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion