tuscl

OT: America's cheapest states to live

Papi_Chulo
Miami, FL (or the nearest big-booty club)

This thread is inspired by Juice since he seems to often be looking for ways to afford SCing :)

The list lists the 10 cheapest states to live in – unfortunately IMO the only state out of the 10 worthwhile to live in SC wise was Texas – all others have mediocre to poor SCs IMO:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100835110

8 comments

• sharkhunter
    11 years ago
    I'm kind of wondering how they came up with those home prices. I bought a new house for less than half the cheapest listed average price and my total utility bill was just over $100 last month but I didn't run the air conditioner very much.
  • sharkhunter
    11 years ago
    Gasoline costs about $2.95 here. I saw it for 2.85 at one station in Greenville. I guess they only got averages for high priced homes in the larger cities. Then they left out other details.

I like to see a list of cheapest high mileage lap dances with good looking dancers.
  • dallas702
    11 years ago
    What this kind of "ten most X" reporting neglects to include really has an impact on rankings. In the example from CNBC, the report neglects to address the impact of wages on "livability." Oklahoma may be very "cheap" when looking only at costs, but since wages in OK are also among the lowest in the country, disposable income in OK is actually less than most states. No spending $ = no good clubs

I lived for a decade near Nashville, TN. In spite of its Music City status it really was a very inexpensive place to live (low taxes - property and sales, low housing costs, and cheap TVA power). But for most people in Nashville, salaries were also very low. So Tennessee may cost less than some states, but most people there make so much less than average that they actually have less left over from their paycheck than people who live in NYC or San Fran. Not much money to spend = few clubs

It is the $$ left over - after paying the rent, car note, utilities and buying groceries - that pays for lap dances! I think that the quality and number of strip clubs in a particular area is an indication of real livability. Only in an area where many guys can pay their bills AND have money left over to regularly hit the clubs and buy VIPS will strip clubs proliferate.

LA - high cost of living, but lots of very highly paid people = COI!
  • Papi_Chulo
    11 years ago
    Dallas702 makes a good point.

Perhaps a ratio of income vs cost-of-living is a better barometer of a good place to live (although the CNBC report was only looking at the single aspect of cheapest state to live in).

I lived in Dallas, TX for ~10 yrs in the 2000s and I recall a fellow coworker telling me had looked it up and that the N. Texas region was #2 (at the time) in income vs. cost-of-living. I did not look at the data myself but his statement was consistent w/ what I perceived of the N. Texas region.
  • mjx01
    11 years ago
    I agree with PC, Texas is the only decent one for SCs. Also, many good points by Dallas, and I'll add another: the list does not discuss taxes. For example, yes many 'cost of living' items are comparatively cheep in Idaho, but IME, Idaho has comparatively high taxes.
  • Papi_Chulo
    11 years ago
    For what is worth, found the following info form a link from a Forbes.com article:

Best States to Make a Living

These rankings are based on an analysis that considered:
    Average wage and unemployment data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics
    Cost of living data from C2ER (formerly ACCRA)
    State tax rate information from Tax-Rates.org
    The Workplace Environment rankings from the Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index poll
    Going from best to worst, here is how all 50 U.S. states ranked for 2013:

1. Washington
    2. Virginia
    3. Colorado
    4. Texas
    5. Wyoming
    6. Minnesota
    7. Nebraska
    8. Utah
    9. Kansas
    10. Oklahoma
    11. Arizona
    12. Iowa
    13. Massachusetts
    14. Missouri
    15. Indiana
    16. Michigan
    17. North Dakota
    18. Nevada
    19. Pennsylvania
    20. Idaho
    21. Ohio
    22. Illinois
    23. Georgia
    24. Tennessee
    25. Wisconsin
    26. Maryland
    27. Delaware
    28. Florida
    29. California
    30. Kentucky
    31. Arkansas
    32. Louisiana
    33. Oregon
    34. Montana
    35. New Mexico
    36. New Hampshire
    37. Connecticut
    38. North Carolina
    39. Alabama
    40. Maine
    41. South Dakota
    42. Alaska
    43. Vermont
    44. West Virginia
    45. New Jersey
    46. South Carolina
    47. New York
    48. Rhode Island
    49. Mississippi
    50. Hawaii

http://www.money-rates.com/research-cent…

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jacquelynsmi…
  • Ermita_Nights
    11 years ago
    I started my working career in high cost cities, saved what I could, then moved to a low cost city (Detroit area, coincidentally also has great strip clubs). When I moved to Detroit area, I took a 25% pay cut, but bought a bigger house for half what I sold my old big-city house for. Car insurance, restaurant meals, taxes, and many other expenses are half what I used to pay. Lap dances are the same price but much higher mileage. A beer in a strip club can be as little as $2 (happy hour in Toledo) vs minimum $8-12 in the big city. My 401K is much bigger than the people around me and my retirement should be quite comfortable if we don't have another financial meltdown.
  • Papi_Chulo
    11 years ago
    That’s what I’m talking about Ermita :) – make your $$$ and then live somewhere cheap where your $$$ will go farther (and of course move to a place w/ good SCs)
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion