RIP: Emile Griffith

motorhead
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Before MMA and UFC there as boxing. Emile Griffith, a boxer involved in one of the most legendary fights in history, passed away today at the age of 75.

In a 1962 nationally televised fight with Benny Paret, Griffith battered Paret with a series of blows. Paret lapsed into a coma and died 10 days letter. It is thought to be first boxing death witnessed by a national TV audience. The death haunted Griffith the rest of his life. A respected referee's career was over. Televised boxed changed.

It was reported that Paret taunted Griffith with the word "maricón". It was not a name a boxer in 1962 wanted to be called.

This was a tragic event - before my time - but a part of boxing history.

4 comments

• motorhead
    11 years ago
    Sorry for the many typos. Still can't type on a phone.
  • SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    Great info. Death is one of the hazards of boxing. Benny "Kid" Paret was a pretty tough Cubano. He had a record of 35(10ko)-12(4ko)- 3. I also wouldn't wanna be called "maricon".
  • SuperDude
    11 years ago
    I used to watch the Friday Night Fights, when they were sponsored by Pabst Blue Ribbon Beer. (Yes, I'm that old.) I have a vague memory of watching that fight, but a clear memory of the aftermath. Paret's death was a shocker, especially given that he was battered by Griffith on live TV. There was talk of taking boxing off television, banning the sport alltogether, requiring new headgear or limiting all fights to five rounds. The glamour went out of the fight game with that match. Ali brought some of it back. It looks like the sport has now died as a major attraction.
  • magicrat
    11 years ago
    I too vaguely remember that fight although I'm not sure that killed the sport as in addition to Ali there was Frazier, Foreman, Tyson, Leonard, Duran, Haggler, Holmes, and many others. Personally I've lost interest as I don't believe I could name one current boxer.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion