tuscl

2 Drink Minimum

big_d_2011
South Carolina
Tuesday, June 4, 2013 1:05 PM
Became a regular at my favorite club and was told after a year that they have a two drink minimum. Pissed me off that in a dead club they would send a waitress over to tell me I needed to buy drinks. I left with $500 in my pocket. I am not cheap, but you just don't do that. Platinum Plus Greenville is now on my boycott list. Lust and Trophy Club's gain!

23 comments

• gsv
    11 years ago
    I can understand a one drink minimum, but two is sort of pushing it so I can see your frustration.
  • shadowcat
    11 years ago
    bid_d - Some one must have been on the rag. I have a lifetime membership to the Platinum Plus chain and have been to 4 of their current 5 clubs. I didn't even know they had a two drink minimum. I have NEVER been hassled over anything.
  • goodsouthernboy
    11 years ago
    How do they enforce a 2 drink requirement? Do you have to buy 2 at once when you get there? Then you'll end up with a hot beer for your second round. But how do they keep you from leaving after your 1st?
  • Alucard
    11 years ago
    I assume your drinks were alcoholic. Selling overpriced alcohol is how they make money.
  • big_d_2011
    11 years ago
    Exactly my point Shadow. I have been going to the club in Greenville for a year and before that I would go to the two clubs in Columbia and never once did someone come up to me and tell me that. I had been there for about 30 minutes and I was waiting for a dancer and I even tipped a girl on stage. If you've ever been there before, you know the waitress is on you as soon as you sit down asking what you want. I told her I was good but to check back. Well 30 minutes later she came back and I told her I was still good. That is when she said "I was just told that we have a two drink minimum". I explained to her that I had never been told that and that I visit the club about once a week, sometimes I drink, sometimes I do not. She said that corporate is really pushing it now and so they are trying to enforce it more. Pissed me off so I told her I understand the club has rules but that I would take my $500 and go elsewhere.
  • big_d_2011
    11 years ago
    Alucard, I understand. But my point is that it's not like everyone else was drinking in the club. In fact there were about 10 customers total and I saw at least 3 that did not have a single drink and they arrived after I did. I just don't like being told to do something. I was pretty excited about the promotion where drinks would be $2, but when you pretty much say I have to purchase something, that ruins the experience for me.
  • minnow
    11 years ago
    OP says he is not cheap, but yet didn't even buy a frigging drink? I'd be willing to bet 2 things: 1) If you'd bought a drink to start with, and then "nursed" it, waitress wouldn't have hassled you. 2) The 2 drink min is probably bogus. Waitress wanted her share of tips. You WILL get attention from them, whether you want it or not. If I'm not in the mood for a refill, I say I'm good, but could you please bring me back 19 ones for a 20. Harmless way to apply a little grease.
  • jester214
    11 years ago
    @GSB in general I think they just say it with the hope that you'll do it on your own. I've been told this in many places and while I generally already plan on doing it, I've never seen anyone try to enforce it or keep track.
  • JackFrost9
    11 years ago
    You got gamed
  • big_d_2011
    11 years ago
    Minnow, at the time I did not want anything to drink. I go to this club several times a month, sometimes I drink, sometimes I don't. This is the first time someone has done this. Whether I drink or not, I tip the waitress. I guess my mistake today was not tipping her soon enough. I just don't like someone telling me I have to do something.
  • big_d_2011
    11 years ago
    How did I get gamed? I didn't buy a drink and left with all of my money in my pocket. The only ones who were really hurt were the dancers I was planning on seeing. There are several other clubs in the area and I will just go there from now on.
  • gatorfan
    11 years ago
    I will have a water and another water please.
  • goodsouthernboy
    11 years ago
    That will be $20 gator, cash or credit?
  • ime
    11 years ago
    i've never seen it enforced anywhere. I actually have noticed that drink prices aren't that much higher than regular bar prices at the last few clubs i have gone too. $5.25 for a gin and tonic and $4.50 for a Yuengleng. Fuck I went into a club the other night and it was dead like no girls except one swamp donkey sitting at the bar. Had a drink watched a little of the basketball game and left. I guess if its $4.00 for a water thats a bit steep- but that kind of the price to play in the SC.
  • goodsouthernboy
    11 years ago
    LOL at "swamp donkey"! Hadn't heard that one before
  • magicrat
    11 years ago
    I was at Plat Plus today and nobody mentioned a 2 drink minimum.
  • Papi_Chulo
    11 years ago
    I’ve been at clubs where the DJ has announced there is a 2 drink minimum but like others it has never been enforced all up on me as Juice would put it. I am not much of a drinker but will always order one drink (usually a beer; sometimes a water) and just nurse it since I rather spend my $$$ on dancers. If one usually has a non-empty drink in hand; one will usually be left alone. But being in the SC any extended period of time w/ no drink in hand will make one “stand out” sort of speak. I respect the OP’s opinion but will respectfully say that he may perhaps be being a bit too inflexible. The world is not perfect and buying just one drink (even a water) is not an unfair request by the club IMO. Just like the club has the right to charge a cover; they have the right to ask one to buy a drink even if it’s non-alcoholic. As others have mentioned, if the OP would have bought at least one drink (a water?) in the 30+ minutes he was there, they probably would have left him alone. Blacklisting a club for this may be counterproductive IMHO.
  • motorhead
    11 years ago
    Run a 5K before entering the club. Then you'll be thirsty
  • lopaw
    11 years ago
    Most non alcohol clubs here in L.A. have a 2-drink minimum, and it's not unusual to have the waitress dive-bomb you as soon as your ass hits cushion. But I have never witnessed the second drink being pushed. Still....I'll take the 2 drink minimum over the constant "buy the lady a drink" bullshit anyday.
  • big_d_2011
    11 years ago
    Papi, I can understand that and maybe I did take the request the wrong way. On the few trips I don't buy a drink ( today being one of those days), I will buy a drink for the ladies or tip the waitress. The dancers I buy for were occupied but I knew they would be free in a bit. Which is why I told her twice, not right now.
  • sharkhunter
    11 years ago
    I go to Platinum a lot in Greenville and I never heard about the two drink minimum. If it's even close to midnight on Saturday night, they don't even serve bottled beer anymore thanks to South Carolina blue laws. I never had a waitress say anything to me about not buying a cup of beer or any beer for that matter. I tell the waitresses no so much, I think many are used to hearing it. However I do buy bottled beer if I arrive early enough. I get it myself though from a bar. One individual waitress won't know in a crowded club how much you drank unless she watches you like a hawk. I remember at the old Nepals, one waitress had the nerve to tell me certain tables were reserved for drinking customers. I rarely milk the drinks I get. I was merely letting what I already drank disappear from my system. Anyway I got up and went to the bar to get drinks every time I saw her working from that night on. I think she found another job somewhere else because she wasn't there that long.
  • big_d_2011
    11 years ago
    Shark, I never knew either. I am just wondering why she told me on this visit and why was I picked out. As I mentioned, I was not the only one who did not have a drink. That is why I overreacted. I will visit again in a few weeks and see if it happens the next time. I'll make sure I am thirsty before I go too.
  • samsung1
    11 years ago
    I agree it is stupid. Christie's cabaret in Brunswick has a similar attitude towards customers. Also have had the issue at sirens in Columbus.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion