tuscl

Barbecue

motorhead
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Since, we're discussing food lately, I just couldn't let this go by without asking. What's your favorite style of barbecue?

Eastern North Carolina with the vinegar based sauce and pork
Western North Carolina with the ketchup based sauce and pork
South Carolina and the mustard based sauce
Memphis with it's thick tomato based sauce basted on the pork ribs
Memphis with it's dry rubbed pork then chopped and served with sauce on the side
Kansas City BBQ with it's spicy sweet sauce served with all kinds of meat, not just pork
Texas beef brisket with a dry rub (just to name one. there are lots of Texas BBQ styles).

and there's lots of other regional favorites too

14 comments

• mmdv26
    11 years ago
    I'm from Kansas City, and I love KC BBQ. BUT, I have learned over the past few years that a lot of other regional BBQ is very good as well. I think the true test is with burnt ends - the delicate texture of the meat and ALL of the great flavors that can be cooked into it.
  • gawker
    11 years ago
    My favorite is the Texas dry rubbed brisket.
  • toysales
    11 years ago
    Western NC gets my vote. On a trip to Dallas I visited KC masterpiece. I ordered BBQ and got sliced brisket. I was like WTF is this! I live in central NC and beef is not BBQ here.
  • JuiceBox69
    11 years ago
    West and East North.Carolina
  • SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    Santa Maria Style Tri-Tip in the USA. Argentine Parillada outside. I'm partial to quality beef over pork or fowl. Quality beef doesn't need too much sauce or seasoning. It's like make-up on women. Accentuate what's there. Don't mask what's not.
  • jester214
    11 years ago
    I prefer the Western NC but every time I've had KC style it was very good.
  • PredragDr
    11 years ago
    South African braai with some peri peri
  • shadowcat
    11 years ago
    Truthfully they all taste pretty much the same to me. Whether it store bought or what they use in the restaurants. I guess what I am really after is that Smokey flavor.
  • motorhead
    11 years ago
    I lived in Columbia, Missouri for about a year. Lived by a BBQ joint that was probably KC style.

Fell in love with it. Now I watch endless hours of the Food Network and do wanna try some of the other regional styles.
  • dallas702
    11 years ago
    Toy sales, I grew up in Texas and I know that real BBQ is beef, buffalo, goat or deer. Dry rub is to seal the meat for cooking and sauce goes on just before the meat comes off the grill to form a bright tasty glase. That kind of BBQ is still my favorite.

I was shocked when I discovered some strange people cooked pigs in peppered sauces and called it BBQ. What a strange concept! But then some people consider Carib jerked chicken a style of BBQ. To each their own.
  • Corvus
    11 years ago
    Texas style all the way.
  • crazyjoe
    11 years ago
    What is a jerk rubbed chicken breast
  • farmerart
    11 years ago
    Occasionally I will throw a big bash at my farm featuring a whole pig or a couple of lambs turning slowly on a spit over charcoal and maple chips. I fill the pig's cavity with extra tenderloins or the lamb's cavity with extra racks.

That is a righteous afternoon and evening with a bunch of buddies. Warm, sunny afternoon. Big tubs of beer on ice. Lots of guy bullshit as the carcasses are basted periodically during the afternoon. Potato salad and grilled asparagus.

The meat that comes off the spit is superb, especially the extras packed in the carcasses' cavities; that stuff is self-basted as the fat oozes out of the carcass during the cooking process. Combine that with the charcoal and maple flavour and you have unbeatable farmerart barbecue.
  • SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    That sounds amazing. I'm about to cry and go to bbq heaven. Since this is about bbq, and IMHO, beef reigns supreme, ever notice that in the Americas, North, Central, and South, cowboys are everywhere? Different styles, different techniques, yet a common, underlying and unifying factor.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion