tuscl

Heartbreakers in Columbia SC to close.

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb
The owner of two prominent Columbia strip clubs, Platinum Plus and Heartbreakers, will close the latter club's doors, per a new agreement with Richland County government.

County Council recently approved the deal after months of negotiations with the owner's lawyer, Tim Rogers. In an effort to become compliant with Richland County's 2008 ordinance restricting the location of sexually oriented businesses, the clubs' owner has been searching for a new property to move his businesses. And he found one — near Williams-Brice Stadium.

According to council members, the owner went through scores of properties before finding and purchasing only one that satisfies the county's stipulations that require the business be at least 1,000 feet from a church, school, private residence or park.

The county's options were limited, says Council Vice Chair Greg Pearce — and they didn't want a strip club by the stadium.

To keep the new strip club from going up “within a mile or two” of the Gamecocks football stadium, County Council made a deal.

According to the agreement, Heartbreakers and the nearby lingerie shop on Bush River Road will close, but Platinum Plus will remain open and in its current location on Jacob Road. The newly purchased property near Williams-Brice will be placed under a deed restriction, preventing any sexually oriented businesses from occupying it now or in the future.

Pearce says that of the options, an agreement was best. Enforcing the ordinance on the businesses, he says, could result in being tied up in court with an injunction that prohibits enforcement anyway. Pearce says the clubs' historically “deep pockets” suggest a costly, lengthy court battle.

According to council members, Rogers was expected to challenge the previous settlement and continue with a lawsuit challenging the county's ordinance on sexually oriented business, as his client had settled believing there were numerous places he could relocate.

“This seems to be the option council felt most comfortable with,” Pearce said. “As a result of having an agreement, one of the most in-your-face clubs is gone.”

Rogers has not returned calls from Free Times, and attempts to reach the clubs' owner or learn his or her name were unsuccessful.

Councilman Seth Rose, whose district houses the clubs, considers the deal somewhat of a win. Rose says he receives complaints from constituents about both strip clubs, but receives far more about Heartbreakers due to its high visibility.

“I would like to have seen the ordinance enforced on both clubs,” says Rose. “But this is still a step forward for that area that has long been neglected.”

Rose adds: “I'm thrilled that they're [closing] forever, and I was relieved that six people didn't vote to leave it as is.”

Council approved the deal in an 8 to 2 vote, as Damon Jeter was absent. Against the deal were Councilmen Seth Rose and Bill Malinowski.

Crush Gentleman's Club of River Drive is also in violation of the 2008 ordinance, but is not represented by Rogers and was not a part of the agreement.

8 comments

• georgmicrodong
    12 years ago
    I'm heartbroken.
  • canny
    12 years ago
    I'm surprised that the owner didn't keep fighting on the grounds that the city council passed a bill to specifically put him out of business. Most laws like that grandfather in existing businesses because when the owners of existing businesses fight hard enough they win and they also win reimbursement for their legal fees.
  • vincemichaels
    12 years ago
    Effin government !! I wonder how many of the city council have been to the clubs there.
  • girlmoneys
    12 years ago
    I thought I felt a disturbance in the force
  • sharkhunter
    12 years ago
    They need to vote in new city council members to change the law. I'm not aware of any in your face activity about the club. I drove right by it several times without even realizing where it was.
  • Travis833
    12 years ago
    More business for Platinum.
  • shadowcat
    12 years ago
    Ok one of my buddies visited the club last week. The word there is that they will be moving to the building one occupied by Southern Gentelemens Club which closed about 5 years ago. No time table yet.
  • pop
    12 years ago
    That's what I heard. It's supposed to be a legal location.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion