tuscl

Long-distance SCers: What do you do while driving to a club?

chandler
Blue Ridge Foothills
Drives of 1 or 2 hours I listen to music CDs. I need to get a car stereo with RCA jacks so I can plug in my iPod. I get most new music nowadays as MP3s, and about the only reason I burn audio CDs anymore is for my car player.

On longer road trips, I favor books on CD. Nothing too heavy. Usually non-fiction. For some reason, I find fiction far more enjoyable when I read it myself. I like popular history, war stories, memoirs, that sort of thing. Sometimes, the book might be good but the reader will be so annoying, I have to eject it and try another book.

I remember trips when I was a kid, hearing all the local radio stations along the way. Those days are gone. Local radio is the same everywhere: dull.

None of this really gets me ready for the strip club experience, unless it's by taking my mind off it and recharging my psyche, whatever. The one exception is a good comedy CD, which can start me smiling and maybe even supply a joke I can share with a stripper.

13 comments

• parodyman-->
    18 years ago
    I hope tonite is good weather for a little "quiet" open window drive. May just head out to Ottawa.
  • Bob_Loblaw
    18 years ago
    watch for potential road traps
  • FONDL
    18 years ago
    My favorite traveling music is Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band, especially "Against the Wind." My favorite line: "If only I didn't know now what I didn't know then ..." Also their "Main Street" gets me in the mood big-time. I also enjoy hearing the Beastie Boys - my ATF always danced to them. I've got to get their first album, especially "You've gotta fight for the right to party."
  • chitownlawyer
    18 years ago
    As regards "getting in the mood"--my best road trip music is a Pretenders "greatest hits" album that I have bought in three formats over the last twenty years--album, cassette tape, and CD (as well as the individual albums containing each of the above.) For the particular strip club experience, I listen to a double CD Steely Dan compilation. For some reason, the basic hopelessness and pessimistic irony of their lyrics seem to get me into the right frame of mind for three or four hours in a strip club ("I take one last drag as approach the stand"--there's a Proust novel in that line)
  • messaround
    19 years ago
    I don't usually drive far but if it's afternoon I'll try to find Jim Rome - otherwise sports talk or a CD to get in the mood.
  • chandler
    19 years ago
    Chitown: I remember recommending them but I didn't realize you had taken up the idea. As much as I love music, it can only take me so far. A good recorded book can make a long drive fly by. I still remember some road trips by the books I listened to along the way.
  • minnow
    19 years ago
    Never driven more than 2:15, but split time between stations, and CD's/Cassettes. 1 of my cars is xm equipped, even there I channel surf.
  • chitownlawyer
    19 years ago
    Chandler got me into books on tape. Definitely helped my last really long drive--eight hours each back in November. Before that, I would just go from one NPR affiliate to the next (despite the fact that my political leanings are the opposite of the national organization. But their talk shows are good).
  • chitownlawyer
    19 years ago
    By the way, that eight hour drive was not primarily to go to strip clubs, although I hit two on the way out, and one (a repeat to Favorite Club) on the way back.
  • FunSeeker
    19 years ago
    I listen to new/talk/weather/sports radio stations, and some music.
  • FunSeeker
    19 years ago
    I listen to news/talk/weather/sports radio stations, and some music.
  • parodyman-->
    19 years ago
    I like to shut everything unnecessary off (radio ect.) open the windows and just drive.
  • DandyDan
    19 years ago
    I myself have XM Radio and usually have it with me in the car everywhere I go. Local radio just doesn't do it for me anymore. Moreover, you go to a rural area, outside the reach of big city radio, and all the stations are country. Anyway, I have a wide variety of channels of XM radio I listen to.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion