tuscl

Hawaii Theatre in COI was supposed to re-open... what happened?

So HT in COI closed down a while ago. For a long time it was supposed to re-open under a new name and (I think) different management, but still as a strip club. It's been long enough that I've already forgotten what the new name even was so I have no way of checking up to see what the progress is, if any.

Anyone remember what the new "club" was supposed to be called? Apparently on some boards it is speculated that HT is going to become a Monarchs Gentlemen's Club but I know that wasn't the name it was going to go by before.

8 comments

• lopaw
    12 years ago
    Have you checked zbone? I remember reading something there recently that discussed the new club that was taking over HT's spot.
  • Club_Goer_Seattle
    12 years ago
    The new club was due to be named, "Pinks." It was owned by the Spearmint Rhino folks. It even got listed on TUSCL, briefly. See:

https://www.tuscl.net/stripclub.php?DID=…

The funny part is that it's labeled as "closed." I'm not certain it ever really opened. From my memory, the Rhino acquired the property (by lease), and made tenant improvements. I remember actually seeing a review for it. (I think it got removed for being a shill review.) I think what happened is that the Rhino management didn't do its homework, spent money on the remodel, and then either the city of Industry, or the city of Hacienda Heights denied the required final approval(s) to open.

The TUSCL member who would know best is inno123. He and I discussed it at the time. You can probably search the San Gabriel Valley Tribune for articles on it.
  • Club_Goer_Seattle
    12 years ago
    The URL in my above post got cut short. This is the full:

https://www.tuscl.net/stripclub.php?DID=…

The Strip Club Hound had a good explanation at the time: There was a zoning issue involving the requirement that strip clubs be located at least 250 ft. from a residential area. (The Hawaii Theater was right across the street from a residential area.) Hawaii got a waiver from this, but the waiver likely terminated 30 days after the Hawaii closed (and before a new club could open in that location. Whether or not the Rhino new that is questionable.

See http://stripclubhound.blogspot.com/2011/…

Pink's website is still up. http://www.pinksgc.com/
  • jerikson40
    12 years ago
    No idea, but whether it opens (IF it opens) as Pink's or Monarch's, it's still Spearmint Rhino. Both names are trademarked by SR. Pink's was trademarked last year, and Monarch's just a couple months ago.

If you look at the Google Earth street view you'll see that they even put the Pink's signage on the old HT building sometime this year, so clearly they were all set to go but the local gov't is making it tough.

In any case, if it's connected to SR they'll have to pay me to go there. I hate SR.

My idle speculation, based on nothing but a guess, is that SR is having a tough time in this economy, and sees Deja Vu with its $10 lap dances, and maybe SR is trying to compete in the lower priced market. So they trot out a new name for the low priced clubs.

We'll see. But I'll need a whole lot of convincing to ever set foot in a Spearmint Rhino.
  • inno123
    12 years ago
    The last I heard it was still closed and stood no chance of opening because the zoning exemption had expired. It seems a classic example of not doing your homework before jumping in.

I will check when I get a chance to drive by, maybe tomorrow.
  • jerikson40
    12 years ago
    From zbone: "Right now, the plan seems to be that pricing will be comparable to that of SRCOI. Word is the decor will be upscale, striving to be the "nicest club in the SR chain"

Well if that's true, the place is going to suck balls. The worst part, IMO, of SR is the branding as a "gentlemen's club", which gives them license to raise prices based on a nice decor and arrogant asshole attitude. And commensurate with the "gentlemen's" label, the dancers get the attitude that "Oh, I'm not a stripper, I'm a dancer, and I'm too good for all this shit, so I'll charge the customers big money just to be honored with my presence". Expect strict dress codes and all that other shit that only serves to make your trip less enjoyable.

If it's Spearmint Rhino on steroids, then thanks, but no thanks.
  • thelapper
    12 years ago
    RHINO SUCKS! So sick and tired of their rip-off approach to the customers! Why can't management of ANY strip bar figure out that if they provide a decent value for decent (or great) mileage like Hawaii they will be hugely successful. Does it really cost the club any more money to have the songs go for 3 minutes instead of 1.5 minutes like Rhino?!? At $20 for 3 minutes, the rate is still $600 per hour! So charge a few bucks for non-alcoholic Shasta sodas and get $20 at the door...but give us a FULL song for our lap dances! The dancers would make more money too.

I can't tell you how many times I have walked in and out of the Rhino after one 1.5 minute dance. I feel like I got ripped off so I just leave. I would LOVE to stay longer but I refuse to have them take total advantage of me (partial is OK). At least Deja Vu has timed lap dances for a reasonable price. Not always the highest quality dancers there, but guess what Mr. Rhino? The place is PACKED all the time because it offers a reasonable value!

Get over yourself Rhino. You have one great club in Vegas with great looking women. And I am sure that club does more revenue than all the other rip-off Rhinos combined. Personally, I will NEVER step foot in any Rhino again unless they start to value their customers.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion