tuscl

Treasures strip club can continue to operate with new limits.

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb
Monday, September 10, 2012 7:40 PM
Monday, September 10, 2012 | Updated: Monday, September 10, 2012 8:56pm Treasures strip club can continue operating in the face of city and county allegations that it is a den of criminal activity, a judge ruled Monday, but it must beef up security, fire felons on its payroll, tape just about everything that goes on in the club and have its dancers completely cover their behinds. The Houston city attorney and Harris County attorney filed a lawsuit against Treasures last May, seeking to close it down because of what they allege is a pattern of prostitution, drugs, illegal weapons and sexual assaults at the club in 5600 block of Westheimer. The club's attorneys have argued that Treasures is being unfairly targeted because it challenged the city's sexually oriented business ordinance. Monday's ruling calls for close monitoring of the club in the three months before a December trial at which the club's future could be decided. If state District Judge Alexandra Smoots-Hogan rules in favor of the city and county and declares Treasures a public nuisance, the club would close for a year. City Attorney David Feldman and County Attorney Vince Ryan greeted Monday's ruling as a victory. Sound like the fun may be over at Treasures... "What the judge has done is make sure that within a very short period of time they're complying with the law and we have evidence if they're not complying with the law," said Ryan. "If they follow the court's orders, work with us, we work with them, it can be a legal operation. We don't want to close them if they will obey the law." Attorneys for Treasures said they will file an appeal of the temporary orders. "The bottom line is, the judge didn't order us closed," said Al Van Huff, one of the Treasures' lawyers. "It's our position that we don't operate unlawfully anyway." Van Huff said he considers some of the restrictions "overly burdensome," but would not specify which. Smoots-Hogan gave the club a week to: » use employee sign-in sheets and deliver them to government lawyers; » check bags of all entering employees and contractors on camera; » require employees to completely cover their behinds. "I saw far too much tokus for my liking" in a review of videotapes, Smoots-Hogan declared. » require patrons to tuck in their shirts; » reform background checks on its hundreds of employees and contractors; » fire anyone on the payroll who has been convicted of a felony in the past decade; » call police if employees witness any sex acts or drug activity; » position four bouncers on the club's second floor, including one in a special room that has stalls; » perform random drug testing of employees; » and install 14 video cameras in addition to the 12 currently in operation and turn over tapes weekly to government lawyers. Attorneys for Treasures asked for more time to install the video cameras, but Smoots-Hogan denied the request.

9 comments

• inno123
    12 years ago
    So let's see, 109 hours open each week (from their website) times 26 cameras is 2834 hours of video to be turned over every week and some poor tech's job is going to be to watch every minute of it on super-fast-forward. Absolutely tedious. "I saw far too much tokus for my liking" in a review of videotapes, Smoots-Hogan declared....So Judge Smoots-Hogan doesn't like looking at tushes? Sounds like his problem.
  • mmdv26
    12 years ago
    Was "too much tokus for [his] liking" allowed by law?
  • TortillaChip
    12 years ago
    Who is this judge? The inspiration for Judge Smails?
  • jackslash
    12 years ago
    This is a travesty of a mockery of a sham of a mockery of a travesty of two mockeries of a sham.
  • vincemichaels
    12 years ago
    As long as their fronts are uncovered, what's the problem. :)
  • Alucard
    12 years ago
    The END of this Club.
  • vincemichaels
    12 years ago
    Perhaps, these things take time to develop. At the very least it will put a severe crimp in the club's operation. It's a shame, it's a great club. I thoroughly enjoyed myself there.
  • rrbill
    12 years ago
    Well, the judge's name should give you a clue. It's not Alexander. Alexandra Smoots-Hogan is a feminist with a hyphenated name. I'd hate to be before her with a child support case.
  • Titangs
    12 years ago
    You beat me to it. Hyphenated last name typically translates in English to "BITCH".
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion