tuscl

Funny how these law suits are always filed after they no longer work there.

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb
Two exotic dancers who used to work at a Pensacola strip club are suing the club's owners for supposed unpaid wages, saying they were wrongly classified as independent contractors and not employees of the club.

Utahna Hughes and Jessica McClellan both worked at Escapes Gentleman's Club on North Davis Highway, according to court papers. Both women, the suit says, should have been paid hourly wages and tips according to federal law, but since they were technically not employees of the club and its owner, they were not.

The lawsuit, which was filed earlier this month in the Northern District of Florida, is seeking an unnamed amount of damages. Edmond Burie and GC&P Enterprises, the owners of the club, are named as the defendants.

The 14-page lawsuit spells out how the tips that the exotic dancers received were doled out.

“A portion of the dancer's tips would be paid to the disc jockey, the bouncers, the managers on duty, the defendants and/or the bartenders,” the lawsuit says.

As of now, Hughes and McClellan are the only plaintiffs named in the lawsuit. However, the suit says they are trying to recruit other exotic dancers who “were compensated in a similar matter.” All are entitled to damages, court papers say.

About 100 exotic dancers have worked at Escapes since Burie has owned the club, the suit says. Due to poor bookkeeping, however, the number of actual dancers is hard to ascertain, according to court papers.

“The plaintiffs are not in possession of all the records and schedules which may exist to reflect the total number of hours worked for defendants,” the suit says. “As a result, they cannot plead, with accuracy, the number of dancers that worked for defendants without being paid the proper minimum wage.”

Jeremiah Talbott, the attorney for Hughes and McClellan, did not return a phone call last week.

A response has not been filed. Burie did not submit a comment Saturday.

17 comments

• vincemichaels
    12 years ago
    Gee, one would think they'd be happy with the tons of money they make from the Navy guys there Lap dances aren't cheap in Pensacola.
  • motorhead
    12 years ago
    Someday these dancers are gonna get what they keep asking for.

They're going to paid minimum wage, have to keep a schedule, and perform jobs they don't like (cleaning the restrooms, etc...).

They're killing the goose that lays their golden egg.
  • deogol
    12 years ago
    what motorhead said.
  • georgmicrodong
    12 years ago
    What motorhead said, *plus* pay taxes on their income and tips. In addition, every state I've lived in allows the employers of tipped employees to *assume* that a certain percentage of the employee's income comes from tips, and deduct that amount from their actual paychecks, so the paycheck can reflect a significantly lower amount than would e there if it was hours times rate.
  • deogol
    12 years ago
    Well, with those time clock things (ie, stick the entire amount of the dance in the meter), funny money, etc. - making them employees can be enforced.

If there is no funny money, they will also have to check in with a dance goon to insure they get their amount. Pay without funny money, tossed out - dancer and customer.
  • inno123
    12 years ago
    California requires that dancers be regarded as statutory employees, and the industry has hardly suffered as a result. The main difference is that you either have something like the timer pole or you pay the doorman or bartender for the dance (but not the tip). As I said, it works OK.

The big lesson is that club owners think that they can call them independent contractors but then micromanage them like employees. You just can't do it both ways.
  • deogol
    12 years ago
    I agree that club owners are confused about what is a contractor and what is an employee.
  • jester214
    12 years ago
    The club owners aren't confused. They are using the system that works best for everyone, but also happens to not be legal. These suits are not about the legality of the issue, but about lawyers and dancers realizing they can get relatively easy cash.

At the end of the day their forcing the issue is good for no one but themselves in the short term and (as always) the lawyers.
  • JohnBuford
    12 years ago
    My son clerked for a Judge (a woman) who was hearing a similar case here in Massachusetts several years ago.In her chambers when discussing the case she was perplexed because she didn't know how SC's operated.My son didn't either and asked me if I knew anything about them.Keeping my best poker face,I told him only of my experiences overseas and quickly changed the topic.
  • deogol
    12 years ago
    If they are smart, they (dancers and owners) will settle out of court.
  • motorhead
    12 years ago
    Bingo! Jester, you hit the nail on the head. Right answer.

Yes, the clubs are not following the law. As others said, they want to call the dancers independent contractors yet have rules as if they are employees. Who cares? Probably 95% of the dancers prefer it this way. These lawsuits are NOT REALLY about misclassification as independent contractors. It's just the argument the lawyers use to convince some dancers to help line their own pockets.

As SC said in thread title, why is it always "ex" dancers?

• Alucard
    12 years ago
    Typically people will sue an ex-employer because they were fired. If any of you were fired in your opinion without just cause, would not YOU sue also?? Hmm...
  • motorhead
    12 years ago
    One thing the dancers who want to be classified as employees rather than independent contractors should keep this in mind --

The dancers that merely use the club as a safe, convenient, and efficient means to develop a base of OTC customers would be operating a competing business with their employer. Most employers forbid, or strongly frown upon, current employees operating a competitive business.

• Timbuck12
    12 years ago
    The reason the dancers wait until they are "ex" employees before filing these kinds of lawsuits is because if they filed while they still worked there they would get fired or retaliated against. Same holds true for almost any type of employee-employer lawsuit. That's just good common sense. It has nothing to do with the merits of the case itself.

I can’t speak for all states’ laws, but here in Georgia the way the clubs handle dancers is nowhere close to meeting the legal definition of an independent contractor. They really are employees under Georgia law, and as such clubs are supposed to be subject to state and federal law concerning taxes, wages, overtime, etc----but they get away with shirking these responsibilities UNLESS dancers hold them accountable through these types of lawsuits. Do you think the clubs (or any type of employer for that matter) are just going to step up and “do the right thing” without being sued? Of course not, or they’d already be doing it.

I always find it interesting to see the public outrage that is directed against people and their lawyers for bringing a lawsuit without ever trying to determine first if the case may actually be legitimate. What’s even more interesting is that usually these same people that decry “lawsuits” and “ambulance-chasing lawyers” the loudest then turn into the most litigious and money-hungry people whenever something supposedly bad happens to THEM.
  • Alucard
    12 years ago
    We have a lot of "Experts" here! LOL

They perhaps fit into your definition.
  • motorhead
    12 years ago
    Timbuck12,

I never said the dancers did not have a legitimate case. Sure they do. In most all instances of cases of this type, the courts have made it clear that the clubs have misclassifed the dancers as independent contractors. That's not my point. My point is simple -- is it really in the dancer's best interest to be classified as an employee?

It's pretty easy to convince a naive 22 year old stripper that if she'll agree to help in the lawsuit, she is going to be rich. One case I'm fairly familiar with, the lawyer went into a club and talked to the dancers in the club. She didn't come to him. Talk about ambulance chasers!

In the case I'm pretty familiar with, I've read the court documents numerous times. I've talked to many dancers. When the dancer filed the lawsuit, the club, of course, fired her...just as you said they would. When her lawyer filed a counterclaim for her job, the club re-hired her as an employee. They paid her minimum wage as the suit requested. She got her panties all up in a bunch and quit. See - it was never about "misclassification" under FLSA.

When the class action suit was settled, dancers were offered either $500 or a $1000 credit toward house "rents". (All dependent on how many days they worked). Wanna guess how many dancers at this club accepted the cash or credit?

I'll say it over and over again. Yes, the clubs are wrong by the definition of the law. But it's a system that works pretty well. If these dancers keep filing these lawsuits, then someday, we're all going to see clubs with timed, automated, "pay first" dances - something the members of this board almost universally reject.
  • jabthehut
    12 years ago
    I walked into Escapades once just to see if it was better than Babes across the street. All the girls there loomed like biker gang rejects. They were the skankiest strippers I have ever seen and after one dancer got half way through her first dance I got up and left.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion