tuscl

No shit!

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb
Wednesday, May 30, 2012 10:44 AM
Opinion: Strip Club Bill Is A Sin Tax, Not A Crime Tax By Edward McClelland Wednesday, May 30, 2012 | Updated 11:54 AM CDT In her campaign to pass a bill adding a $3 admission surcharge to strip clubs that serve alcohol, Lt. Gov. Sheila Simon may be misrepresenting the results of a study on whether such clubs cause crime. “There’s been research done in communities across the United States that all come to the same conclusion that where you have a strip club that serves alcohol, there’s an increase in crime,” Simon told Ward Room earlier this month. “It’s an increase in both sexual assault and other crimes that I would not have suspected before starting to look more closely into this part of the economy. The men who go to strip clubs are going to a place where they’re not going to want to spend money on their credit cards, and so have a lot of cash and consume alcohol and are considered soft targets for crime, because they’re less likely even to report what’s going on.” Simon’s bill is modeled on a bill passed by the Texas Legislature, and affirmed by that state’s Supreme Court. But in an article on [view link], blogger Tracy Clark-Flory argued that the legislature’s study didn’t find a crime increase in strip clubs, and that the crime issue is a cover for “censorship,” “religious moralism” and “just plain financial desperation.” (Simon’s bill would devote the surcharge to funding rape crisis centers.) According to Clark-Flory: The key study advocates point to is one commissioned by the Texas Legislature in 2009. But that very report states, “no study has authoritatively linked alcohol, sexually oriented business, and the perpetration of sexual violence.” What’s more, when I talked to Bruce Kellison, director of the Bureau of Business Research at the University of Texas at Austin, and one of the authors of the report, about the alleged link between strip clubs and sexual assault, he said, “That’s not really what our study was trying to do.” What it was trying to do was review the research on whether clubs have a “negative secondary effect” (in other words, harmful side effects). “Most of the [research] has found that there is a moderate amount of increased criminal activity outside of clubs,” he said. That’s a point contested by some: Daniel Linz, a communications and law professor at the University of California, Santa Barbara, says studies used to support restrictive zoning or special taxes on strip clubs are methodologically flawed — they fail to use appropriate controls and rely on inconsistent and unreliable data sources. Take, for example, that zoning laws often relegate strip clubs to shadier parts of town, where, of course, there is greater crime. Without an appropriate control, that crime can’t be attributed to the club itself. According to a study Linz conducted, “Those studies that are scientifically credible demonstrate either no negative secondary effects associated with adult businesses or a reversal of the presumed negative effect.” He tells me, “We’ve done crime map after crime map after crime map of many cities and there just aren’t clusters of crime around [strip clubs]. Most crime in most cities tends to occur around high schools.” Tax the teens! That’s just to speak of crime in general. The important thing here, given the aim of these tax initiatives, is sex crime. The Texas report looked at the incidence of sexual violence in particular inside the clubs and found that there wasn’t “additional sexual assault violence going on in the clubs,” says Kellison, or even around the clubs. Simon testified to the Senate Public Health Committee that “[t]here’s been a strong, scientific recognition that when you associate those industries with alcohol, that there's a substantial effect there, an increase in crime, particularly sexual assault.” The bill passed the Senate unanimously last week, with sponsor Toi Hutchinson, D-Chicago Heights, asserting a connection between strip clubs and sex crimes. If the clubs were really causing more crimes, the solution would be closing or policing them. This bill is going to pass, but let’s be honest about what it is. It’s not a crime prevention measure. It’s a sin tax. Buy this book! Ward Room blogger Edward McClelland's book, Young Mr. Obama: Chicago and the Making of a Black President , is available Amazon. Young Mr. Obama includes reporting on President Obama's earliest days in the Windy City, covering how a presumptuous young man transformed himself into presidential material. Buy it now! Source: [view link]

18 comments

• EarlTee
    12 years ago
    "Most crime in most cities tends to occur around high schools." Well there you have it! Tax the zits, not the tits.
  • vincemichaels
    12 years ago
    Go fuck yourself, Lieutenant Governor.
  • gatorfan
    12 years ago
    Yes let's all fuck her
  • jester214
    12 years ago
    Google, then rethink gator.
  • Alucard
    12 years ago
    Better a Tax than closing the Clubs.
  • inno123
    12 years ago
    First of all they keep on pointing out the addition of alcohol. I am guessing that was because they found no correlation about nonalcoholic clubs, which usually have greater nudity. Which brings up the fact that if you bring a bunch of drunk guys into an ordinarily vacant industrial section of town you will have more crime...well duh.
  • Alucard
    12 years ago
    "Which brings up the fact that if you bring a bunch of drunk guys into an ordinarily vacant industrial section of town you will have more crime...well duh." The Evils of Alcohol! ;) :)
  • inno123
    12 years ago
    [view link] has an ability to do crime rate maps for most major urban areas. So I decided to zoom in and do a screen shot of the City of Industry, supposedly home to SoCal's highest mileage clubs. I took a screen shot and then added blue dots for the locations where the clubs are. I have uploaded the result to my pictures. At least for COI, there is no correlation at all.
  • Ermita_Nights
    12 years ago
    The prevalence of 2am'ers might suggest high crime rates around strip clubs. But at least here in Detroit, the newspapers I read seem to report more crimes around civilian college bars.
  • sharkhunter
    12 years ago
    If strip clubs were properly run by the mafia, there would be a dramatic drop in crime next to strip clubs because a hit man would be sent to take care of business with anyone disturbing their customers. There might just be some broken bones and some people really messed up in some other locations. A good location might be a church parking lot if the messed up guy reported it. Then the city could show an increase in violence around churches. Tax the sinners going to church. End the tax free status. I'm already hearing about it. Actually I'm against adding taxes across the board. We get taxed this and taxed that. Enough with all the taxes. That's a democrat most likely proposing a new tax.
  • sharkhunter
    12 years ago
    There is a concept where the economy grows and businesses get more customers and more people are hired to work which increases overall tax revenue. I'm tired of all the politicians wanting to add more taxes just so that they can increase their spending.
  • pabloantonio
    12 years ago
    Tobacco, Alcohol, and Stripclubs are the only 3 legal Sins left to tax. If they figure out a way to tax sex, guys like VinceMichaels, Shadowcat, and Juice will go broke and Stripclubs will go out of business. Then there will be nothing for amateur clubbers like me. I am crying at the thought.......
  • dallas702
    12 years ago
    Politicians (either party) generally don't care about restricting or taxing strip clubs or any other "adult" entertainment. What they care about is is a really good sound bite for the 6 O'clock news that they can also use at the PTA when they stump for reelection. It really does not matter to them whether crime around strip clubs is higher or lower than elsewhere. Ron Paul is the only politician on the national scene who is opposed to government intervention (and excessive taxing) but even if he were electable (I don't think he will ever have a chance) he also favors significant changes in other areas that could (temporarily, at least) trash the economy. I'll settle for incompetent politicians who pass stupid laws and try to tax sinners (as long as the sin taxes usually fail!).
  • gatorfan
    12 years ago
    Use paper and then fuck her
  • txtittyfan
    12 years ago
    By her logic, she should tax admissions to the Catholic Church. They have far more sex crimes against minors than any strip club.
  • vincemichaels
    12 years ago
    txtitty, that's a good point !! Let's see what our friend, Dougster, thinks. :)
  • Dougster
    12 years ago
    How them short treasuries working out for you these days tittyfan?
  • dennyspade
    12 years ago
    The Lt. Governor in Illinois prefers same-sex relationships. This Bullshit Tax is a precursor to a same-sex marriage bill being drafted to be presented to the Illinois Legislature. It was said that the lawyers (lobbyists) representing the Illinois strip clubs met with the legislative aides and struck this deal. The crowds at most of the clubs in my area have dwindled to the point of insignificance A $3 cover charge for 27 guys on the day shift is still miniscule monies. It will not balance the budget or provide housing and shelter for battered women.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion