tuscl

Opinions? Is plastic surgery a mental health condition?

deogol
Michigan
I was reading this story about the woman who is facing a felony for bringing her kid into the tanning booth with her. She looks horrible! I mean she looks like a marshmallow that has been cooked over an open fire.

I think this is true for dancers who have these huge plastic tits, botox faces, vaginalplaxi (however it is spelled) and god knows what else.

I think there is a mental health problem in play. I mean these women cut themselves up, stuff shit into places stuff shouldn't be going... just wow.

Others think what?

12 comments

• carl95
    12 years ago
    Michael Jackson.
    /thread
  • jackslash
    12 years ago
    I think adults should be allowed to make their own decisions, including cosmetic surgery, without being subjected to armchair psychoanalysis.
  • bang69
    12 years ago
    there life, body,money. there choice
  • vincemichaels
    12 years ago
    Speaking about that woman, I've never seen someone with that deep of a "suntan booth" tan. It looks sick. I'm with bang69, otherwise. Sometimes the plastic surgery works out well, we've seen the horror cases.
  • Ermita_Nights
    12 years ago
    There is a legal definition of mental illness that has to do with harming yourself or others. Problem with that is almost anything you do has the potential to harm you (see other tuscl threads on the subject of risk). Too much tanning carries the risk of skin cancer, but who decides how much is too much?

On the medical side, there are plenty of disorders to choose from these days, from OCD to borderline personality, and all of us show symptoms of some disorder at various times.

Excuse me, I must get out of my armchair now.
  • Alucard
    12 years ago
    I think we all realize that some women, be they Dancers or not, & some men have Self Image issues. Plastic surgery & excess tanning can be a symptom of this.
  • SnakePlissken
    12 years ago
    Plastic surgery a mental condition?

No, of course not.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/art…
  • Ermita_Nights
    12 years ago
    Snake, I was just about to have dinner and now you've ruined my appetite.
  • canny
    12 years ago
    Everyone who does something to change how they look, starting with coloring their hair and going the whole way to plastic surgery, does it because they think they'll look better with the change than without it. It's definitely a self-esteem issue. They don't think that they're attractive without the alteration.
  • Stiletto25
    12 years ago
    I don't judge people who get plastic surgery. If it makes them feel good, that's great. Botox and other non permanent injections don't really fit in my definition of plastic surgery. These injections wear off in three to six months so who cares. Getting plastic surgery doesn't mean someone has no or low self esteem. Every case is different.
  • MADDOG_ROMEO
    12 years ago
    Totally agree with Stiletto, and I couldn't have expressed myself any better than she just did on this topic....
  • SnakePlissken
    12 years ago
    Out of curiosity, has anyone here ever gotten liposuction? I'm not old enough to need it yet, but I definitely plan on getting it if I ever start to get a pot belly.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion