tuscl

RIP Levon Helm

motorhead
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Thursday, April 19, 2012 3:52 PM
I can't come up with any connection to strip clubs - but I did want to comment on the passing today of Levon Helm. Perhaps a bit unknown to our younger members, he was a member of a group simply called The Band. He was the drummer and did some of the vocals on one of my all time favorite songs The Weight. His voice was unique among singers in rock. He later turned to acting and his performance as Loretta Lynn's father in "The Coalminer's Daughter" was outstanding. He was a natural as an actor. RIP Levon Helm.

10 comments

• Alucard
    12 years ago
    On the "The Coalminer's Daughter" DVD there is an audio commentary. Helm had a death scene in the film & supposedly was more than a bit nervous about getting into the coffin. RIP sir.
  • gatorfan
    12 years ago
    I think Levon Helm went to a strip club in 1987
  • vincemichaels
    12 years ago
    I wouldn't be at all surprised that Mr Helm got a lap dance or two somewhere along the way. RIP, sir.
  • rikk
    12 years ago
    Nice tribute, motorhead. My favorite Band song sung by Levon has always been "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down." he indeed was a unique talent.
  • farmerart
    12 years ago
    I, too, am of the generation who remembers Levon Helm and all the other members of The Band, even before they took that name. I remember them when they were The Hawks as in Ronnie Hawkins and The Hawks. They also backed Bob Dylan in the 60s. The reason that this old Canadian oilman remembers The Band so well is that it was a Canadian group and, as such, received tremendous airplay in Canada. Levon Helm was the only American in The Band; all the other guys were Canadians. During the 60s The Band did a great deal of scuffling in shithole Canadian bars, the sort of bars that I frequented back then. Unhappily, I never hit one of those bars during one of The Band's appearances. I have been listening to one of their CDs as I type this. Right now one of my favourites is playing - "Life Is A Carnival".
  • magicrat
    12 years ago
    A true legend. I'm even more impressed with this board and the members giving props to this talented man.
  • JuiceBox69
    12 years ago
    He was in a band he of course had strippers all over him !
  • jabthehut
    12 years ago
    I own two DVDs - Woodstock and The Last Waltz, the latter being my favorite. Best "music video" of all time! The penultimate gathering of musicians.
  • Rlionheart
    12 years ago
    Unusual but great voice, impeccable timing, great professional drummer. Levon will be deeply missed
  • umissedaspot
    12 years ago
    Penultimate? How so? Then why isn't it called "The Next-to-Last Waltz"?
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion