tuscl

Tattoos. Piercings, Preferences and Bigotry

georgmicrodong
Just a fat, creepy old pervert.
Sunday, March 18, 2012 9:51 AM
In the <a href="[view link] the Hottie #5</a> thread, I made a comment equating some of the comments against tattoos to bigotry. Rather than hijack Jackson's thread (even though he so graciously denied that it was, in fact, a hijack), I want to clarify here, rather than there. For the record, I was not addressing the simple preference for no tattoos (or piercings) on a girl's body, nor the "mark down" in rating that some apply when they see them. After all, <b><i>I</i></b> have a preference <b><i>for</i></b> those things, and I tend to "mark up" girls who have them, even if it's not as automatic or reflexive as some of the opposite attitude I've seen here. I do find it somewhat amusing that this one thing can have such a dramatic effect on one's perception of beauty, but, to be fair, I'm also amused that some other single attributes, e.g. hair color or breast size, can be make or break attributes for some as well. No, I'm talking about the notion that tattoos and piercings automatically imply some "bad life choice" on the part of the person so decorated. A notion that has been reached without knowing anything at all about the person except that they have a tattoo or piercing. <b><i>That</i></b> notion is prejudice, bordering on bigotry. As I said before, I'm not looking to change anyone's mind, and in fact, I absolutely support and defend the right of anyone to have any opinion they like, good or bad, for whatever reason they have, good or bad. That doesn't mean I support, condone or agree with any such opinion, though; when I see what I believe is a silly prejudice, I'll identify it as such.

15 comments

• MADDOG_ROMEO
    12 years ago
    @gmd, you're always kool bro....
  • MADDOG_ROMEO
    12 years ago
    I subscribe to a "Live and Let Live" kind of creed....
  • deogol
    12 years ago
    Face it, your a racist. (Because it seems like every argument on the internet has one side throwing up that argument regardless of what the subject is about.) :)
  • minnow
    12 years ago
    gmd- Disagreeing with ones pov, even when stating so boldly or strongly doesn't make one bigoted any more than your sharp response to Che, etal makes you reactionary. Furthermore, making a bold (even rash) statement does not automatically diminish its validity. For example, how many prison inmates are tatted? When was the last time you walked into an attorneys office,or courtroom, and spotted an inked attorney? Which group do you think made the better choices?
  • gatorfan
    12 years ago
    Pierced Tattoo chicks are racists?
  • georgmicrodong
    12 years ago
    @minnow: "Disagreeing with ones pov, even when stating so boldly or strongly doesn't make one bigoted" No, it sure doesn't, and as far as I can tell, I never said it did. Reread what I wrote. "Furthermore, making a bold (even rash) statement does not automatically diminish its validity. For example, how many prison inmates are tatted?" How many Soldiers, Marines, Sailors and Airmen are tatted? Care to make any other irrelevant observations? "When was the last time you walked into an attorneys office,or courtroom, and spotted an inked attorney?" When was the last time you saw a tattooed Congressman, Senator or President? Tattoos don't equate to moral turpitude any more than the lack equates to virtue.
  • MADDOG_ROMEO
    12 years ago
    Quick sidebar, gator, lmfao...that was fucking funny!!!!
  • Stiletto25
    12 years ago
    I agree completely with GMD. Thanks for writing so eloquently.
  • steve_ny
    12 years ago
    I think some of this is generational. Now tattoos are more mainstream, many office workers have them. They are usually hidden but very common. In the past, tattoos were judged more harshly in the business world. I agree that there will always be people that find them attractive or unattractive just like other attributes. I find extremely muscular women unattactive, others are turned off by implants. I am attracted to tattoos but if my girlfriend came home with a Mike Tylon like tattoo across her face, my opinion would probably change.
  • minnow
    12 years ago
    "I made a comment equating some of the comments against tatoos to bigotry". Seems to me that you're labeling some anti-tatoo people bigots for stongly opining their rationale against them. You never answered my questions posed, choosing instead to throw back some other questions at me. OK, I'll ask the same question(s) a different way. How many prison inmates do you think regretted their life choices? How many law school graduates regretted going to law school? I'm aware that other demographics besides prison inmates have been tatted. So, I'll pose another set of questions: Namely, what was the mental state, mindset, and phase of life when the individual got tatted? I'd be willing to bet more than a $10 cover charge that 1 or more of the following were applicable to many of the tatooed individuals at the time of initial tatoo: 1) They were inebriated 2) They were at the young/rebellious stage of their life 3) They were being initiated into a gang. OK, many, if not most people have been rebellious and/or inebriated at some point(s) in their life. Must one "permanently" and prominently advertise this factoid ? Like it or not, tatoos do make a statement, and the connotations aren't all positive. Nowhere in my prior post did I state that non tatted individuals are more virtuous. Indeed, I'd wager that a tatted vet would be more likely to render me assistance if my car broke down in the boonies than a non-tatted lawyer would. I'll close with this bit of advice given to a young man prior to joining the Marines by his ex-sailor father: "Don't let anyone choose your friends." "If you get a tatoo, have it put on the sole of your feet." That young man who took his fathers advice to heart was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame 40 some years later, the father lived to be 90.
  • Clubber
    12 years ago
    All of my choices are prejudicial. I can't think of any in which I completely examine all facets before choosing.
  • 10inches
    12 years ago
    women (as a whole) are simply Gods' greatest creation, so why deface such beauty?
  • inno123
    12 years ago
    Since the reference to 'bad life choices' appears to come from a comment I made in rate the hottie #2 I think I should clarify that comment. When I said 'different life choices' I did not mean the choice to get A tat but rather the choice to get THOSE tats. In the same manner does saying that her hair is a mess mean that I am against all hairdressers? I will admit that it is a very rare case that I see a tat that I honestly feel improved the appearance of the person it was on. But that is not because I am against tats, but I am against BAD tats. Unfortunately most tatoo 'artists' are completely unworthy of the title. They have little artistic understanding or skill and are mostly just tracing the mostly terrible work of others. The only thing that keeps their work from seeming as ugly and clumsy as it is derives from the fact that the canvas is so beautiful.
  • Dolfan
    12 years ago
    I'm with clubber, nearly all of my opinions are prejudicial. It's a rarity for me to make a FULLY informed decision about the majority of the trivial items in my life.Even in business I'm forced to limit the amount of data I consider before making a decision. I think its tough to say drawing a conclusion about someone other than "that's the kind of person who gets tattoo's" is anything other than prejudice. Defining what kind of person get's tattoos certainly falls in that. With strippers, I look at them for 10 seconds tops before I decide if they're the kind of stripper I want to talk to. I draw conclusions based on hair style, outfit, age, body language - all prejudicial, all rash, almost always wrong... It's the nature of the decision, its a trivial one, so that means I'm going to make little effort in getting all the facts before drawing conclusions. That said, I couldn't fucking care less if a strippers got tattoo's and piercings or not. Hot is hot, ugly is ugly. I'd fuck the shit out of the girl with the dragon tattoo & I'd fuck the shit out of her out of character as well - with zero preference.
  • looneylarry
    12 years ago
    I also think it is a generational thing. I used to think that a dancer with a tongue stud was advertising that she was an exceptional fellator. With no experience, sadly, by which to judge it one way or the other, I doubt if the existence of a tongue stud means she is or isn't. On the other hand, if you happen to notice the hot buttoned-down MILF at the office has a small tattoo on her ankle, or a tramp stamp peeks out from under her blouse when she reaches for the top shelf, does that bump up her stock dramatically? I don't know, but it is worth it to ponder.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion