tuscl

Redbook has Positive Story about Stripper

jackslash
Detroit strip clubs
Redbook, a magazine my mother used to read, published a story about a mom who started stripping to support her family. The story is surprisingly positive for a mainstream woman's magazine.

http://www.redbookmag.com/kids-family/ad…

7 comments

• MADDOG_ROMEO
    13 years ago
    JackS, that's an interesting find....It underscores that it can be a hard business, especially because of the emotional toll it can take on a dancer's outside relationships....IMO, all the more reason why women who dance for a living should be treated with respect and dignity....

There was also a reference to a book called "Strip City" by Lily Burana that looks to be a good read....anybody know that??....

As an aside, a group of us from TUSCL should one day band together and write a book about the SC experience....The stories abound and our collective knowledge and experience would make for quite a book IMHO...
  • Alucard
    13 years ago
    "IMO, all the more reason why women who dance for a living should be treated with respect and dignity...."

And that is EXACTLY how I TREAT women who Dance.
  • motorhead
    13 years ago
    "The story is surprisingly positive for a mainstream woman's magazine."

Yes it is - but the article didn't start out that way. I hated the opening line: "With so many ways to make extra money, no woman should have to resort to taking off her clothes"

That's elitist, judgemental bullshit. What other ways? Selling Mary Kay and Amway? Working at the Golden Arches for minimum wage? Wal-Mart? Name another part-time job this woman, with little education or marketable skills, have taken that she could earn the same level of income. The article even said her husband could only make $100 paiting or moving for a weekend odd-job.

"Peter Feinstein, managing partner of Sapphire Las Vegas, the largest strip club in the country, estimates that as many as 25 percent of his dancers are mothers"

Seems way, way too low. Maybe it's a geographical thing. Perhaps so in Las Vegas where I'm sure plenty of young, single girls come in from LA and across the country to strip. But it places like Michigan where stripping is a career for many, it has to WAY higher. I can't put a number on it, but it has to be higher than 25%.

• Club_Goer_Seattle
    13 years ago
    @ motor: I often bring up the question with other dancers as to what percentage of dancers do they think are single mothers. The average guess seems to be around 80%. I'd certainly believe that from the dancers I've met.
  • Alucard
    13 years ago
    I haven't met a Dancer that wasn't a Mother in several years.
  • bang69
    13 years ago
    every one shouldbe treaded with respect.even the crack hoe on the street corner
  • nick6090
    13 years ago
    ""When I made only $200 that first night, I called my husband crying." Joseph calmed her down and encouraged her not to take it to heart"

Damn complaining about "only" $200 a night? I know some strippers who are happy to make that much money in a night.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion