tuscl

Was the 80's really better

Saturday, October 8, 2011 6:29 PM
So last night I was watching the 80's movie "Tight Rope" with Clint Eastwood. So in one scene, Clint is in a strip bar in Burbon street, New Orleans, some of you may know it. It is the one which had the legs coming through the wall onto Burbon street. Well the camera takes you into the bar and past the gay side to the traditional girl side and there is a sign on the wall advertising table dances for $3.00. WTF, now I did not spend much time in strip clubs in the 80's but went to a few in Detroit in the 70's and I don't ever remember a $3.00 table dance. But maybe I have selective memory loss.

13 comments

• nicepants
    13 years ago
    Big Daddy's? No, it was never better, as a strip club it was always, uh, odd. It was always a place at its best to stumble through on your to elsewhere, anywhere.
  • stag0069
    13 years ago
    I believe the 80s had better talent due to the better economy. More strippers and more customers both. That said, I don't believe it was much cheaper, no. You get what you pay for: low end clubs are cheaper (I know a place with 15 dollar dances) but high-end clubs are nicer and typically have prettier girls. I do miss the 80s. I thought the scene was better then, but there are always tradeoffs . . .
  • Dudester
    13 years ago
    table dances for $3.00 It was strictly air, and nothing but air. NO touching at ALL. NONE The strippers, for the most part were prettier and classier than today, but there was no back room. If a club had a back room, she was five feet from you at ALL times.
  • Pete22z
    13 years ago
    Big Daddy's was actually the first strip club I ever visited (early 90's). From what I saw, I could understand why they were only charging $3. I think they made more money charging the customers to put their clothes back on.
  • sinclair
    13 years ago
    The swinging legs used to be at Big Daddy's. Then Rick's bought Big Daddy's and turned it into Rick's Sporting Saloon which is like the minor leagues for the main Rick's establishment across the street. The swinging legs were kept despite everything else being remodeled since they were kind of famous. [view link] The Big Daddy's name moved next door to what used to be called Unisex World Famous Sex Acts. It is now Big Daddy's World Famous Sex Acts. Actually I think both places were owned by the same people but just merged. [view link]
  • Dudester
    13 years ago
    This was the place where I had a confrontation with a mountain sized bouncer because a late 40ish cow wanted a tip for swinging her sagging udders and cellulite onstage. When I refused, she sicced man mountain Mike on me. He took two steps and froze because I gave him a "don't fuck with me" look, "because it will cost you dearly." I then left the club, with her protesting dearly, she badly wanted (and most likely needed)that single. Anyway, the post I gave above about the distance was from California clubs in the 80's. I did get a hands off, but stripper touch, contact LD at the original Rick's in 1989 from an absolute blonde Goddess. It was only one (I was a poor college student at the time).
  • georgmicrodong
    13 years ago
    I am *so* glad my 80's strip club excursions were better than those described by other members on this board.
  • georgmicrodong
    13 years ago
    But to answer your question, it wasn't really better, per se, just different. Less out in the open and obvious, I had to work a little harder, but outright sex was still pretty widely available. In buying power terms, it might have been a little more expensive than now, but I won't swear to that. I just don't have any explanation, other than perhaps area, for why my experiences differ so drastically from those of many others here.
  • motorhead
    13 years ago
    I don't think it was better. Perhaps overall the talent was better. Fewer clubs so most dancers were pretty hot. But it was mostly air. George, if you got lucky, good for you. But it wasn't openly available for a newbie like me. I remember getting a $5 table dance in Florida during a trip my junior year in college. But by the late 80's I was getting laps in Michigan for $15. Mostly one way. Touching was rare if non existent. When you factor in inflation then $15 was expensive in comparison to today.
  • Rod8432
    13 years ago
    prendebp - I know it's anecdotal, but I've heard it both ways relative to the economy. You were stating that, "I believe the 80s had better talent due to the better economy." Elsewhere in other TUSCL discussions it's just the opposite. The "worse" economy today means some of the hotter girls can't find good work elsewhere and turn to stripping. Of course, that also translates into what better bargains for extras, as well. It would be interesting undertake a study to ascertain the validity of either position. Perhaps I'll write a proposal to submit to a government agency for funding, with me as the principal investigator, of course... :)
  • shadowcat
    13 years ago
    From the standpoint of LE involvement the 80's were better but then there wasn't much going on in strip clubs to get them riled up. From the standpoint of enjoyment, now is better. At least for me.
  • Alucard
    13 years ago
    I had not started my Clubbing career as of yet in the 1980's. In terms of having Sexual experiences, it was BETTER!
  • gatorfan
    13 years ago
    Strip clubs in the 80's were nothing like the clubs today
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion