tuscl

Deadly Shooting Outside Cheetah's Strip Club

Thursday, April 14, 2011 3:24 PM
DETROIT (WJBK) - It happened outside Cheetah's strip club on Eight Mile Thursday night. Shots were fired. Two men were wounded, one fatally. "I heard the gunshots, and the first thing I did was fell on my floor," said neighbor Cynthia Walker. "When I looked out, I didn't see anything, but I knew something had happened." "It was just an altercation that I understand happened and circulated into the neighborhood. It's too bad that it has to come to that. I don't know why," said Cheetah's manager Josephine Mistretta. "As far as what happened the other night, we were cooperating with authorities 100-percent and we're doing what we can, but as far as anything else, we have no comment." There have been numerous acts of violence around Cheetah's in recent years. In one case, a customer drove over and killed a valet driver. In another, a valet driver shot and killed a would-be carjacker. "That's what's going to happen when you have the clientele that's hanging out at that bar," Walker said. "I as a citizen … am really sick of it." Neighbors complain about liquor bottles and used condoms littering the area. They also say the noise from the club is especially disruptive. "Like twelve o'clock on the music is loud in there, and then once the club is closed, they come out (to) their cars. (They're) drinking, (they're) smoking, women, just loud noise all night," said neighbor Ricky Thomas. "You find condoms, liquor bottles, they just don't care about your property." People in this well maintained and stable neighborhood are calling for more police patrols and want the city to keep an eye on the club. "It's a nuisance, but it has not always been like that," said Walker. "Recently, it has gotten out of hand." [view link]

6 comments

• boatmonkey
    13 years ago
    When they say "it has not always been like that" I wonder how far they are thinking back? I remember that place when it was divided into two small strip clubs, one called the Odd Frog Pub. That had to be 30 years ago! I don't remember getting the kind of service I get now at my favorite place, La Chambre, though! These are the Good Old Days!!
  • deogol
    13 years ago
    The reporter is simply setting up the secondary effects argument to close it down. One finds "those types" shooting people on the street, robbing convenience stores, etc.
  • vincemichaels
    13 years ago
    Yes, as unfortunate as it is, it is what it is. Another act of violence, this time outside a strip club. Guess I'll just have to pack my AK-47 on 8 Mile.
  • SuperDude
    13 years ago
    My former ATF danced there and I was a semi-regular. As the dancers became rougher looking and talking tough, the patrons became decidedly gangsta. I stopped going after a couple of guys barked at me for monopolizing their girl. That and $12 dancer drinks sent me looking for a friendlier and safer place.
  • samsung1
    13 years ago
    This is not the first time Cheetah has had problems: [view link] Tuesday, March 16, 2010, A 38-year-old man was inexplicably beaten and run over by a car at Cheetah's Gentlemen's Club on Eight Mile Road in Detroit. Fox 2 reports that Jerry Wagner, the club's valet, was scheduled to be taken off life support today. It is unknown whether Wagner's family has gone through with that decision. Patrons and employees at the club say that around 2 a.m. on Sunday, a man left the club and asked Wagner to get his car, but was told to wait his turn. "He just flew up in the parking lot and hit him, backed up and hit him again, and then got out of his car and proceeded to, I believe, kick him," said a Cheetah's worker. Wagner has a two-year-old daughter. Detroit Police are using surveillance video from the club for more details.
  • vincemichaels
    13 years ago
    Nice place, there. I haven't been to Cheetahs in years. Last time there was nothing special. No desire on my part to return. The Penthouse Club is just down the street. I'll go there and enjoy the hotties.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion