tuscl

Strip clubs making it rain on politicians

“All of the liquor, none of the clothes!” the billboards promise.
Take a drive across the south suburbs and you know:
Strip clubs are big business.
But it's not just nude girls and club owners making money. Thousands of those dollars bills have found their way into campaign coffers across Cook County.
A SouthtownStar analysis has tracked where this money flows. For some politicians, the results were troubling.
A spokeswoman for County Board President Toni Preckwinkle said the campaign would return $2,000.
Northridge-based Allstars Gentlemen's Club, which burned down in December 2010, donated the money to Preckwinkle for President earlier that year. Preckwinkle spokeswoman Jessey Neves said the contribution was made during a fundraiser that brought in just under $30,000 for a campaign that raised about $3.5 million.
According to Neves, Preckwinkle is going to return the money due to the “nature of the business.”
“We're not financially dependent on that amount,” Neves said.
But others say donations are fair and legal — just like the clubs themselves.
Former Chicago Heights mayor and current State Rep. Anthony DeLuca (D-Chicago Heights) has received in his two political committees $2,000 from Jimmy's Restaurant and Club 390 since 2005.
DeLuca is the chairman of Friends of State Rep. Anthony DeLuca and the Unity Party for Anthony DeLuca.
City chief of staff Matt Fares is the treasurer of those committees.
He didn't see a problem with the strip club money.
“Whether someone is in the adult entertainment business or someone in the garbage business or someone in the printing business, there's many people who contribute money who are involved in all types of business,” DeLuca said. “Just the fact that they are in the adult entertainment business, it doesn't exclude them from being in the political process either.”
Not everyone agrees of course. The clubs, while attracting thousands of customers as legal businesses, often bring scrutiny from religious and community groups.
“I think politicians know that the center of strip clubs is very close to prostitution,” said Michael Murphy, University of Illinois-Springfield associate professor of women and gender studies. “If you had a degree from Harvard, you wouldn't be shaking it. Neither would I.”

http://www.wlsam.com/Article.asp?id=2151…

7 comments

• jackslash
    13 years ago
    “I think politicians know that the center of strip clubs is very close to prostitution,” said Michael Murphy, University of Illinois-Springfield associate professor of women and gender studies. “If you had a degree from Harvard, you wouldn’t be shaking it. Neither would I.”

This is exactly what is wrong with a Harvard degree.
  • Prim0
    13 years ago
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I wonder if she get's nosebleeds waaaaaaaay up there on her high horse.
  • vincemichaels
    13 years ago
    Probably jacks off in his office thinking of dancers. (Michael Murphy) sounds like a guy to me.
  • Book Guy
    13 years ago
    Thing is, people with degrees (from Harvard, or from just about any other reputable institution) know, that "the center of strip clubs" is absolutely NOT "very close to prostitution." If HE had a degree from Harvard he wouldn't feel free to FABRICATE OTHERWISE FALSE ASSOCIATIONS.

Next, we'll all need to stop using shampoo since the center of shampooing is very close to masturbation.
  • SuperDude
    13 years ago
    Does Prof. Michael Murphy expect his students to reach conclusions from objective analysis of facts or from guesswork and supposition?
  • Book Guy
    13 years ago
    Actually, I'd hope the class would employ in-field experimentation, trial, perhaps error, and then "experiential learning." :)
  • sanitago
    13 years ago
    well fuck, at least one politician isn't ashamed to admit they've got nothing against strip clubs. good for him!
    now if only we could get some of the hypocritical shmucks who love to sneak into a club, then go out on the campaign trail and harp on "family values" to 'fess up, things might be a bit better.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion