tuscl

Would this work?

I was thinking about the Hawaii Theatre and what I would do to refurbish/remodel it. Part of the challenge is that the COI has decided to not approve any new clubs and thus only 'grandfathered' locations are allowed. That would most likely allow remodeling but not expansion. But with a constrained number of clubs then expansion, if you could do it, would be possible.

So I thought about the Xposed/WetSpot combo in Canoga Park (one nude club, one topless bar in the same address) and wondered whether one could do it one better, particularly since a new topless bar wouldn't get approval either.

So the idea would be a remodeled nude club that didn't really bother to serve much of anything in terms of drinks. And then in the same center have a full service bar/grill with no 'live' entertainment at all but rather a one-hour tape-delay of the action on the main stage of the other club on a high definition large screen. One cover charge, actually a 'monthly membership' would allow access to both clubs. Dancers would be allowed, subtly encouraged, to take their breaks and stop by after hours to mingle, but are not allowed to sell anything other than to tell folks to come to the other club to get dances.

4 comments

• stevestevesteve
    14 years ago
    "not allowed to sell anything other than to tell folks to come to the other club to get dances." Good luck with that.

All the clubs I went to in that area the girls give you there number and "prices" with ease.

If you got the money to do it, I say go for it. I think that will be a good combination.
  • inno123
    14 years ago
    @steve...the not selling would be the official story. In reality more than a few guys would be looking to get OTC action by showing up at the after-hours bar, but you want to keep yourself clear of any accusation that your bar was a bordello.
  • sanitago
    14 years ago
    actually, unless their wording is very specific, as long as you keep the original building, an addition should come in as just part of a "remodeling" job. after all, it isn't a separate structure, capable of standing on it's own, is it? so unless you're worried about crowding the property lines or something similar, WTF should they complain about. *DO* get a good lawyer to go over the law in detail to make sure, but if you are allowed to do "remodeling", then any attached structure should qualify under that wording.
  • inno123
    14 years ago
    @Santiago This is not a plan that I am actually expecting to execute. I do not have the money, nor do I know the details of this site. In general a cabaret license will specify a number of seats or a square footage and will specify an address. Usually to change any of those parameters requires an ammendment, and if the city is not granting any new licenses they aren't going to grant any ammendments to 'grandfathered' locations. So the bar part of the pair really would have to be a separate facility, perhaps not even including any direct connecting door.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion