tuscl

Strip Club Worker Mary Bassi Claims She Was Fired for Being Too Old

Monday, January 17, 2011 10:03 PM
Topless Bar Waitress Sues Club, Settles for $60,000 and Is Back on the Job Elsewhere An adult entertainment waitress is up $60,000 after settling a lawsuit with her former strip club employers after, she says, they called her "old," teased her about Alzheimer's disease and menopause, and then fired her at age 56. "You can't discriminate against people because of age regardless of what industry they work in," said Connie Wilhite, the attorney who handled her case. The Houston-based strip club, Cover Girls, fired Mary Bassi, now 60, in 2006 although she'd been performing her job well and received no disciplinary action, according to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, which took on the case. In the months leading up to Bassi's firing, managers began hiring younger female waitresses and scheduling them in her place, according to Wilhite. But Bassi has not been deterred by the industry. She's back working as a waitress at another sexually oriented business with different owners. The suit was brought against AHD Houston Inc. and W.L. York Inc., both owned by Ali and Hassan Davari, brothers who operate Cover Girls. Ali Hassan and his lawyer, Lauren Serper of Houston, did not return calls requesting comment. While issues like hair color, eye color and weight can, at times, be grounds for firing if they hinder a person's ability to do their job, Title VII protects people from being fired for their gender, age, race, religion, national origin or disability, according to Randy Schmidt, a clinical professor of law at the University of Chicago Law School. Schmidt said employers often will pressure people out of their jobs with comments like, "I think the job's getting too much for you." Lawyer: Age Discrimination Common for Adult Entertainment Workers Age discrimination is a common issue for strippers and topless dancers, according to Wilhite, who works for EEOC. She said the settlement was significant for women in adult entertainment. "It lets them know that they're not just a value because of their youth," she said. "They can't be run out of any industry as they get older." Cover Girls closed its doors because of a fire shortly after Bassi was fired. A male general manager in his 30s was the main person responsible for the harassment, which lasted about a year, according to Wilhite. He's accused of mocking Bassi by asking how old she was, repeatedly teasing her about her age and making jokes about her experiences with menopause. Cover Girls is expected to reopen in early 2011. [view link]

15 comments

• Digitech
    13 years ago
    Back when I lived near Kansas City, one of my favorite dancers was 50 years old -- At least that's what one of her friends told me. She was older than most strippers, so I believed it. But she was still totally hot! So I guess I can picture a 56 year old stripper, or even a 60 year one.
  • Gossage54
    13 years ago
    That's a tough one. Personally I like 'em young and I think most guys that go to clubs go there to see and socialize with young girls. I definitely would say most of the business guys that go to the clubs after work etc are there to have a smoking hot 20 year old sit in his lap and giggle like he's still young and desirable. That being said there's a niche for every age group. I'd say obviously a MUCH smaller one for a woman over 40 (if not 35) who is still dancing. 56 seems a bit much. I think most of us that have been going to clubs for some time all have experiences where that one dancer appears that is WEEEEELLL past her prime and still trying to work it. It usually is pretty sad. There is a club near me that has a dancer there well into her 40s who actually has kept her body in great shape. She's had nips and tucks all around (face included) but she has a solid fan base that love her. So how well preserved she might be plays a huge part of course. In the end if she wasn't causing any trouble and had a solid base of regulars that came to see her then the club probably had no right to shitcan her. If she was just an eyesore that turned off most of the clientele then the club probably had to do what they had to do. In the end it really is a young girl's game any way you slice it.
  • jackslash
    13 years ago
    An old dancer might show you some new wrinkles.
  • womanlover
    13 years ago
    I was at the Jewel Box upstairs and the barmaid was over 70 years old and a real bitch. She was just too old - no wonder they had no customers.
  • vincemichaels
    13 years ago
    New wrinkles can be good wrinkles. Up in Detroit there used to be a dancer who was definitely in her 50's, but she was still smoking hot!! I enjoyed every time with her. As to the waitress, I hope she wins. Fucking jackasses deserve to be taken to the cleaner. Clearly, (IMO) this is age discrimination.
  • vincemichaels
    13 years ago
    Oops, she won. LOL
  • steve229
    13 years ago
    The old farts in the club should be us customers, not the staff, lol.
  • Cravey
    13 years ago
    Keep in mind, guys.. she's a waitress, not a dancer..
  • vincemichaels
    13 years ago
    So what, Cravey? We have age discrimination laws. I'm glad she got a settlement.
  • Digitech
    13 years ago
    Gossasge54, I am little different -- I actually like the older ones. They tend to have a better attitude and also be more skilled and experienced. If there is a hot looking older stripper, I would choose her over a young one. On the other hand, I'm also probably a bit younger than most of the forum members.
  • georgmicrodong
    13 years ago
    The Bellamy Brothers had a song back in the 80s or thereabouts called "Older Women Make Beautiful Lovers". Fine if you want a lover, but I just want to fuck, so I think I'll rechristen it "Younger Women Make Beautiful Fuck Buddies", and go from there.
  • gatorfan
    13 years ago
    Fine she was fired for being too fucking ugly.
  • samsung1
    13 years ago
    Club X is having a feature dancer this weekend (2 time biker model of the year from Dayton, OH) named Kennedi Kay. I looked her up online and she is 49 years old! too old to be feature dancing but club x does not have the kind of budget like columbus gold.
  • samsung1
    13 years ago
    Oldest NFL cheerleader is 41 years old. Yahoo posted an interview with her on their homepage today. [view link] "While attending an NFL football game, Laura Vikmanis decided she wanted to become a Ben-Gals cheerleader. At age 41, she never thought she would be the oldest cheerleader in the league."
  • MisterGuy
    13 years ago
    Kennedi Kay looks pretty good to me: [view link] I heard that MILF Lisa Ann didn't get a warm reception in Cleveland, OH recently from a local shock DJ.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion