tuscl

Facebook

http://www.walletpop.com/2011/01/12/smar…

SmartMoney: 10 Things Facebook Won't Say

"2. "We know where you go online ..."

In its seven years, Facebook has evolved quickly, adding features like instant messaging and news feeds. But critics say some developments can compromise user privacy. For instance, you can share online content with Facebook friends using the ubiquitous "Like" button. But press it or not, if you're logged in to Facebook while surfing, it will know when you visit any site with these so-called social plug-ins, says Nicole Ozer, a policy director at the ACLU of Northern California. "Facebook can essentially track you around the Web," she says. Facebook makes all such policies known to users, but critics wonder how many people are paying attention. Responding to a letter from privacy groups last year, Facebook said it stores users' Web-surfing data for no longer than 90 days."

9 comments

• vincemichaels
    14 years ago
    Fuck Facebook. I use it sparingly. I don't care for its's policies.
  • gk
    14 years ago
    That tracking is precisely why I don't want to use social media. That plus I don't need to keep in touch with everybopdy all at once.
  • Prim0
    14 years ago
    I only really use it to see how my ex SO's are looking. In most cases I made the right choice to trade them in on "newer" models. LOL
  • Cheo_D
    14 years ago
    I discovered this when I went to tripadvisor and up popped a reference to "things your friends liked" ... Using my facebook login name instead of the name I use to log in to tripadvisor. Always log out when you leave a site.
  • samsung1
    14 years ago
    I think CTQ plans on shorting their stock lol
  • CTQWERTY
    14 years ago
    Sam, in order to receive such a rich valuation there has to be a pretty big potential way to make bank. Having the best marketing info on the public to sell to interested parties would do it. Course it will be peddled (marketed) by Facebook & Wall St. differently.
  • gatorfan
    14 years ago
    I think I said fuck Facebook before.
  • samsung1
    14 years ago
    In 2007, when Facebook opened its platform to developers, it seemed Facebook was using Microsoft’s playbook—let developers create apps using their platform and see what apps succeed (just like Microsoft did with Lotus 1-2-3, WordPerfect, and Harvard Graphics). Then acquire or clone the successful ones (Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint) as the cash cows and leave the crumbs (relatively speaking) for others.
  • vincemichaels
    14 years ago
    Fuck Facebook.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion