tuscl

Planning first TJ trip

Monday, January 10, 2011 1:42 AM
I've read so many reviews about Adelitas and Hong Kong that I'm planning my first visit this year. I want to coincide my visit with a trip to San Diego as I have never been there either. Does anyone know of any festivals (preferably Jazz, Blues, or Reggae) in SD during the year? If not, what other tourist attractions does SD offer? I'm, also, looking to spend some time at Del Mar Racetrack. Is it easy to get to TJ from Del Mar? I'd appreciate any info you guys can give.

10 comments

• mjx01
    13 years ago
    I've been to San Diego. There is a lot of tourist things to do there. San Diego Zoo, Balboa Park (which comprizes several museum type places), Scrips (very good aquarium), Coronado, Sea World, USS Midway, Harbor Sailing, etc etc etc. Depends on waht you are looking for. [view link] has a calendar of events. All of the strip clubs I've been to in San Diego are pretty tame. Don't waste time and money in San Diego clubs if you are going to TJ for the milage. Never been over the border to TJ. However, the consensus of all the reviews I've read is to WALK across the US-Mexico border. Park on the US side or use the trolly system to get to the boarder. Walk across, take a cab. Del Mar isn't that far North of San Diego. So, not any hard to get to TJ compared to San Diego, just longer drive.
  • kuteechaser
    13 years ago
    Disneyland is within driving distance from San Diego. Also, remember to bring your passport. Leave your car parked on U.S. side and walk into Mexico. Once you cross there will be plenty of yellow taxicabs available and all you need to say is "Adelitas" or "Hong Kong" when asked about your destination by the driver.
  • jester214
    13 years ago
    I'm probably in the minority... but you couldn't pay me to go in to Mexico right now. It's only a matter of time before the Cartels start kidnapping and killing gringos.
  • jester214
    13 years ago
    Forgot to mention though... Check out international sex guide (just google it). They have a lot of information on how to do TJ.
  • basketball
    13 years ago
    As the Jester said, go to ISG, read Brocton O'Tools guide to Tijuana. It will walk you through the experience. If you: park on USA side of border, taxi to/from the border to Adelitas, don't get drunk, stay in La Zona, and don't talk to locals on the street, you will be fine.
  • pjsands
    13 years ago
    Go to [view link], there is a ton of info there. You have to register but after that u r good to go. Id be careful in TJ, the cops will rob u for any reason. Don't go alone and stick to the yellow or official cabs.
  • EarthQuake365
    13 years ago
    Hey, thanks for all the advise. I have to say, I am a little more nervous than before. It seems the safety factor is not very good. I'll read up on ISG, and tjamigos. Thanks again
  • DougS
    13 years ago
    EarthQuake... I've never done the clubs in TJ, but I know from an ex-TUSCLer regular how great the TJ sexperience can be. He told me that safety wasn't that big of a concern and he'd never been uncomfortable in the areas, BUT, his recommendation was to stay on the main streets - avoice the dark alley ways, etc. If you speak a little Spanish, it should be a slam dunk, sure thing. Good luck!
  • silkypants
    13 years ago
    Earthquake365, I don't want to downplay security concerns because I think it is better to be cautious and informed than to be caught off guard and get into trouble. I was in TJ last September for the first time and everything went great even though I speak almost no Spanish. All the people I met were very friendly. My two pieces of advice are to take the train to the border on the $5 day pass and bring more money than you were originally planning. It is Mexico, so the ATM machines only dish out Peso's. Have a great time and stay safe.
  • Dougster
    13 years ago
    This has got me interested. A couple of newbie questions of my own - What are the drug laws in Mexico? - Is it only latinas working Adelitas and HK?
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion