tuscl

TABC Launches Investigation into Jaguars Strip Club

CAMERON COUNTY - New details are coming out about our CHANNEL 5 NEWS investigation "Sex for Sale". The state has launched an investigation into what's happening at a Cameron County strip club.

The Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission has limited oversight of a strip club like Jaguars. It's a fully nude, B-Y-O-B establishment. They're not supposed to serve alcohol at all. Insiders tell us, the club doesn't always follow the law.

People who used to work at Jaguars say, once you get through the door, anything goes. One former dancer says it's easy for anyone to drink.

"They just go in. They show their ID at the beginning. That's it. They don't get bands. They don't stamp you. They don't band you," she said.

"There's minors that are drinking there at the club, and I think that's another reason why it should be shut down. One of the customers actually told me he goes, 'Yeah I drink there all the time," she added.

It's okay for people 21 and up to bring in their own alcohol. It's not legal for the club to sell it, at all.

"Customers are going outside to refill their drinks with beer after hours. They're coming back right past the cop, and the cop is still not doing nothing about it," said a former male employee.

The former employee also says the club sells beer and liquor after hours.

"Like they don't care as long as they get their money...It's all about them. Take. Take. Take," said a dancer.

CHANNEL 5 NEWS showed Lt. Mario Villarreal from the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission our undercover tapes. We told him about about the allegations.

"Now with regard to a place that doesn't have a license, our inspection is limited by scope to pretty much the area that the public has access to," said Lt. Villarreal.

He explained how limited his agency's jurisdiction really is.

"We will go in there and do an undercover inspection. We will go in and do an inspection as a private citizen, sit down, spend money, obtain their services that they do for any other citizen," said Villarreal.

They'll investigate, if they spot crimes, like prostitution

"We don't only enforce the alcoholic beverage code. We enforce the penal code and if an agent so happens to be solicited for prostitution or drugs, the agent at that time, depending on the circumstances, may accept the offer and go through with the 'buy,'" he added.

A "buy" that can lead to arrests.

The TABC says it's willing to work with the Cameron County Sheriff's Department. The state can provide extra help so they can work together to investigate Jaguars. We should tell you, we're still waiting to hear back from the lawyer for Jaguars.
http://www.krgv.com/news/local/story/TAB…

1 comment

• Dudester
    14 years ago
    I've been meaning to find a way to post this, but:

1) Years ago, one dancer at St. James told me that the way they knew who was vice was guys who were spending money like water.

2) Yesterday, the news was talking about how HPD (Houston) had to cut it's budget by 15%.

Ergo, it's happy time in Houston.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion