tuscl

Judge Bans Nude Dancing in San Antonio

Dudester-San Antonio is a tourist city and city leaders want it to be like Orlando (low to no mileage).

SAN ANTONIO, Oct. 7 (UPI) -- A judge in San Antonio has ruled that nude dancing in gentlemen's clubs is illegal.

District Judge Michael Peden signed two injunctions specifically barring RCI Entertainment from allowing nude dancing at XTC Cabaret and Paradise Entertainment, the San Antonio Express-News reported.

Jim Deegear, the attorney who represents the clubs, said he learned of the injunctions from a reporter, and he will advise the clubs to abide by the ruling while the orders are in effect, even though the clubs hadn't been served.

"I think he may have completely banned nude dancing, but I'm not sure that he'll ultimately be allowed", Deegear said. "For now, they're going to have to stop until we have a final judgment or while we ask the court for an abeyance while we appeal, or try to get a fast appeal through the 4th Court of Appeals. ... The cautious thing to do is to follow the order(s)."

The city passed a "human display ordinance" in 2003 banning nude dancing, but XTC and Paradise continued to offer nude dancing, deciding to battle arrests or citations on a case-by-case basis.

XTC and Paradise sued San Antonio following the arrest of its entertainers and managers on Dec. 30, 2009. The suit claims the city's ordinance is pre-empted by state law, and violates the Texas Constitution because it has a chilling effect on protected speech, the newspaper said.

Deegear said a provision in the city's ordinance allows nudity if the dance is artistic, or for serious, artistic, social or literary purposes.

6 comments

• Dudester
    14 years ago
    Houston is one of the best SC destinations in the country, and according to reviews, a good time can be had in El Paso, Austin, Dallas, and San Antonio. It's unTexaslike to try to buck the trend. I like to visit San Anton because it's a great tourist destination.

Unlike city leaders there, I think the city can have the best of both worlds. Take the kids to Seaworld, Six Flags Fiesta Texas, the Alamo, the museums, and then have mom take the kids home while dad stays behind to play a day or two.
  • troop
    14 years ago
    REMEMBER the ALAMO!!!
  • sinclair
    14 years ago
    Prostitution was getting pretty rampant in the clubs in San Antonio. Some club got hit with a prostitution bust when I was there in January.
  • bosss
    14 years ago
    Both XTC and Paradise had stopped nude dancing long back(read- more than 3-4 months), and stage dances are with pasties on thz days.
    What is going to change after this new injunction?
  • samsung1
    14 years ago
    Daily Specials
    Sun/Mon/Tues - $10 Cover

$5 Dances Everyday
    Open till 9PM

$10 Dances Everyday
    9PM Til Close

Open 4pm until 4am Sunday - Thursday Open 4pm until 5am Friday & Saturday

(daytime specials)
    $5 cover - $10 Dances
    until 6pm - Mon thru Sat.

B.Y.O.B - 18 Years & Up.
    http://www.ricks.com/club/default.aspx?i…
  • samsung1
    14 years ago
    This might not be good news for RICK shareholders, but the $5-10 lappers there would get me to go visit if I was in the area.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion