tuscl

4th of July, 234 years later.

Sunday, July 4, 2010 12:52 PM
First off, I hope you all have a happy, safe 4th of July,(even you, londonguy) LOL, that was a turbulent time in both of ours history. No one can stand being a slave forever, as we had become in Great Britain's view. Let's be grateful for our experience over the last few hundred years, we aren't perfect, that's for sure. Our political discussions here are proof positive. That's fine, I don't claim to be right all the time. I celebrate our freedom and freedom of speech. Traveling as I have, both here in the USA and other countries reinforce the strength in diversity we have, along with the problems ensuing when cultures clash. We have a gem here, let's polish it and continue, America's place in the sun isn't over yet. Happy 4th to everyone, be safe, let's enjoy the day!

26 comments

• Dudester
    14 years ago
    Being a veteran, I remember the reason for the day. For many, it's just about bar b q's and drinking mass quantities of beer. For me, it's about the flag and getting a lump in my throat when I hear patiotic songs.
  • steve229
    14 years ago
    And I’m proud to be an American, where at least I know I’m free. And I wont forget the men who died, who gave that right to me. And I gladly stand up, next to you and defend her still today. ‘ Cause there ain’t no doubt I love this land, God bless the USA.
  • steve229
    14 years ago
    ^^^^ I now its corny, but I can still remember Lee Greenwood singing that song at a 4th of July celebration at Ft. Hood, TX right after Desert Storm. That was a real lump in the throat moment.
  • how
    14 years ago
    Happy Independence Day! America is the greatest nation yet established; may we defend liberty always...
  • georgmicrodong
    14 years ago
    And from the other side, my wife, stuck here by herself with two under 3 year old kids during Desert Shield/Storm, still turns the station when she hears that song. She got royally sick and tired of it during that four months, along with a lot of others at Camp Lejeune at that point in time. As for me, I'm with Dudester. I still stop and listen to it, along with some of others I hear from time to time, still stand at attention when the Star Spangled Banner plays, still take my hat off when the flag goes by in a parade, still stop and cry on Memorial Day when I remember the two guys from my unit that were killed, and still choke up when I remember the USO volunteers and 2nd graders who met us a 5 o'clock in the morning at Westover AFB when we came back. All they wanted was to thank the "heroes" who were coming home. What happens when a bunch of starving, tired, dirty Marines gets off a C5 to shit, shower, eat and nap after a transatlantic flight are confronted by a group of 2nd graders who just want them to sign their t-shirts and Vietnam veterans who want to shake their hands? The shut the fuck up, sign t-shirts, shake hands, grab a cookie bar, and get back on the refueled plane.
  • troop
    14 years ago
    happy 4th everyone!
  • gatorfan
    14 years ago
    I was thinking, did you ever notice how most people call it the 4th of July in the same manner we refer to Cinco de Mayo. I wonder if more and more people forget this day is the day of our nations independence for the freedoms we enjoy each day. It's Independence Day, the 4th of July is a misnomer.
  • CCRiderm
    14 years ago
    Steve, I will always remember that song and it gets me every time. A number of years back I was down in the Opryland resort for a conference. I was sitting in the open air restaurant having dinner and the band in the bar across the way started playing "God Bless the USA". I don't know why, but I just looked up. On the top of the big glass dome over the atrium flies a large American flag. It was a clear night and the flag was blazing from all the lights on it. I sat there, a grown man, listening to that song and eating my ribeye steak with tears running down my cheeks. Good thing the restaurant was pretty dark or they would have sent the guys in the white coats in for me. Happy Independence Day gentlemen. ALWAYS remember what it costs to be free.
  • samsung1
    14 years ago
    One great thing about America is the vast amount of strip clubs here. Not as many brothels as I would like..but several strip clubs
  • giveitayank
    14 years ago
    Myself, instead of drinkin', barbecue-ing and pounding the night with smoke and loud booms, I'd rather read up on something in history from the American revolution. It might be something I already know or something new to me. Both John Adams and Thomas Jefferson died on the same day, on the 4th of July, 1826, 50 years to the day after that famous date. I've often wondered, would we have still won the war without help from the french? And this great new experiment where people could actually peaceable assemble and publically disagree with those elected to serve had influenced many countries around the world to move away from a totalitarian style of leadership and adopt governments more like ours. This representative republic isn't perfect but, it's the best system of government the world has ever known.
  • londonguy
    14 years ago
    Thanks Vince! Hope all you guys are having a great day!! Any special deals at the clubs? Is 7/4 celebrated more than thanksgiving?
  • vincemichaels
    14 years ago
    londonguy, after I post this I am heading to one of our Detroit area clubs, "Bogarts" I'll let you know if any "special" happens. LOL 7/4 is a special celebration in it's own way, londonguy. Most people go on picnics, barbeques, out boating. It's a day to relax and hopefully thank our forefathers for taking the risk of becoming an independent country. I won't belabor the point, but the tyranny of the British Empire, for it's financial gain, completely alienated our forefathers and we celebrate the day of Independence.
  • samsung1
    14 years ago
    7/4 is not celebrated as much as thanksgiving. Several of the clubs are closed today or with limited hours. I think it is going to be very slow because it is a sunday and a holiday. Also a lot of clubs have limited hours tomorrow on Monday. Two clubs that I know usually open at 11:30am will open at 7pm tomorrow instead.
  • SuperDude
    14 years ago
    In March of 1953, my family returned to the U.S. from Germany where my dad was stationed with the [view link]. After three days crossing the Atlantic on the U.S.S Hodges, the ship gave a special signal and everyone gathered on deck in the fog and rain--to see the Statue of Liberty. I was coming home. I've never forgotten the feeling.
  • giveitayank
    14 years ago
    I've found most citizens to be patriotic without being very outspoken about it.
  • vincemichaels
    14 years ago
    true, giveitayank, however I felt impelled yesterday morning to note the day and its' significance. I celebrated the day, enjoying the beauty of our country in many ways, including a visit in late afternoon to one of few clubs that was open yesterday. Woohoo, they had 2 new hotties working and we had fun together.
  • CTQWERTY
    14 years ago
    Happy belated 4th! Celebrating at Bogart's?!? Talk about a 'sure thing'... "Christmas in July" is coming!!! Ho, Ho, Ho! (there's always lots of those at Bogie's...)
  • giveitayank
    14 years ago
    Hi CTQWERTY... My comment wasn't directed at you for reflecting back to a the personal experience you had on the ship. It was just a general observation I've made about most Americans. I guess you could call it part our culture. People have have an internal pride twords country. Another interesting tidbit in history... Not only did John Adams and Thomas Jefferson die on the same day, July 4th, 1826 (50 years to the day after the signing of the declaration of independence) but, they were the last of the 56 signers to do so. What are the odds?
  • vincemichaels
    14 years ago
    CT, it was Christmas in July yesterday at Bogarts. There were just a few dancers celebrating on stage, it was a late start, I guess they opened at 4 pm. I've never seen the 2 dancers at Bogarts before. Very nice indeed, if I'm still around on the day they do the Christmas in July thing, I'll pop in and see what it's about. I've seen the notices over the years, but never was in the club on the day.
  • samsung1
    14 years ago
    I HOPE YOU WROTE A REVIEW lol
  • CTQWERTY
    14 years ago
    Hola, Yank! Vince, it was yesterday?! Damn. The best part was the catered food last year. Otherwise it was the same day shift gals as usual. However, you seem to be on a roll scoring the "new talent". Fyi: I've tried to sway Samsung into checking it out -- the "Christmas in July" party would be yet another good opportunity. Maybe you can host a visit by Sam? [I'm still tied up with work for at least the next 3 weeks.]
  • vincemichaels
    14 years ago
    LOL, CT, no, it wasn't the "Christmas in July" promotion yesterday. I can see how you mistook what I said. I was being fascetious in that statement. What I meant was I got 2 Christmas presents early this year, these 2 new dancers I hadn't seen before at Bogarts, and we had fun in the VIP area. I see they have a new semiprivate booth on the left side of the VIP area. I hadn't noticed it before, we did our thing in the open area, but I'll check out the new booth another time. The "Christmas in July" promotion is mid-July, call the club,they can give you the date.
  • CTQWERTY
    14 years ago
    Vince, I would think July 25th, but then again it's been a year since I was there. New "semi-private" booth?! Like that was ever needed before! If they're going to be self-conscious, take down the massive mirror along the back wall....
  • samsung1
    14 years ago
    (813): right before he busted, he moaned the british are cumming. (1-813): only on the fourth of july.
  • vincemichaels
    14 years ago
    no, CT, I believe it is earlier, perhaps July 19, that strikes me as the date I saw on the wall, but it is definitely earlier than the 25th.
  • MisterGuy
    14 years ago
    "I've often wondered, would we have still won the war without help from the french?" I've wondered that as well. It's very interesting given that we owe so much to the French for what they did for us during our Revolution, and they owe so much to us for what we did for them in WWI & WWII. One of General Pershing's aides got it very, very right when he said after landing in France in 1917, "Lafayette, we are here." It's a shame that many can't put aside petty misnomers about France, especially since Great Britain & the USA did so many, many years ago & our Revolution was against them!
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion