tuscl

Finally, strippers need not worry about clothes

Toronto-area strippers have won a six-year fight to obtain free lockers to keep their clothing and jewelry safe during shows, their association says.

The city's 1,400 dancers had been trying since 2004 to get free access to lockers in 31 GTA strip clubs so they wouldn't have to spend a loonie each time they needed to secure their possessions, Tim Lambrinos of the Adult Entertainment Association of Canada said Thursday.

“Its a little victory for women's rights and dancers,” Lambrinos said. “The dancers were tired of getting their costumes and other items stolen.”

He said the clubs will provide the free lockers and the dancers must provide a lock.

Lambrinos said some dancers complained of spending $5 or more daily for a locker.

He said the strippers, to save a buck, usually left their lockers open, which led to items being pilfered.

“This is big issue and a victory for the girls,” Lambrinos said. “It is a big concern for dancers who have to protect their costumes.”

He said the change was ordered by the association six years ago but was fought by one club, which only this month agreed.

“This is a big issue for the ladies,” said Irene Sepp, executive assistant of Councillor Howard Moscoe, who is chair of the municipal licensing and standards committee.

“Their expensive costumes and jewelry were getting stolen.”

Joanne, a dancer at the House of Lancaster, said she was pleased to hear the news.

“We should have had this a long time ago,” Joanne said. “The girls are a lot happier.”

http://www.torontosun.com/news/torontoan…

3 comments

• vincemichaels
    14 years ago
    Yay, the dancers can be such thieves, I've lost track of the times I have heard the dancers telling horror stories about the thieving bitches they work with. Good luck
  • SuperDude
    14 years ago
    Are club owners so desperate for revenue that this couldn't have been given? If help employees feel safe at work, they usually do a better job. If you nickle and dime them for basics, such as this locker fee, you have unhappy dancers. Give a little, gain a lot.
  • Dudester
    14 years ago
    I know St. James has a locker fee and lockers aren't easy to come by there (there are a bunch-I've seen pics).
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion