tuscl

Columbia airport director resigns after arrest

The director of Columbia's Owens Field airport has resigned after being arrested early Wednesday outside the Heartbreaker's gentleman's club on Bush River Road.

According to a Richland County incident report, Josh Houston, 36, was charged with disorderly conduct after deputies spotted him asleep in the parking lot inside his vehicle with the engine running. The report says Houston tried to put the vehicle in drive before officers ordered him to step out of the vehicle.

Richland County spokeswoman Stephany Snowden confirms Houston submitted his resignation, effective Friday.

Houston was "grossly intoxicated and unsteady on his feet," according to deputies. He was booked at the Alvin S. Glenn Detention Center and subsequently released on his own recognizance.

Houston was hired as the airport's director in July after longtime manager Jim Hamilton's retirement.

So what do you think? Does the law making it illegal to sleep in a running vehicle while intoxicated encourage people to drive drunk so they can get home, or is it necessary to keep drunken people out from behind the wheel?
Friday, January 08, 2010
http://www.midlandsconnect.com/news/stor…

4 comments

• shadowcat
    15 years ago
    I have been to Heartbreakers. It is a sister club to the Columbia Platinum Plus and it's owner Ken Wood has his office just next door. He got to spend a night in jail in the same place I was taken. Only difference was I was not trying to drive under the influence. I was planning on walking the 2 blocks to the Waffle House and then to PP. I talked to gridget 3 days ago. A paramedic now. She was shocked.She has heard the same scenario. "hospital or jail". If she had been on my scene, I would have chosen hospital but I still maintain that I would have been wasting valuable ER personnel time. I did see two M.D.'s while I was in jail and it was free. An ambulance trip and ER visit would have cost me bucks. I am not proud but am honest.
  • deogol
    15 years ago
    I think it is pretty stupid to be asleep in a running car. One kick or turn in the wrong way and off ya go. $20 and a taxi.

(Pretty stupid to be that drunk to begin with!)
  • Dudester
    15 years ago
    Having been victimized by a drunk driver (he smashed my rare and limited edition luxury vehicle), I agree with deogol.

I don't think he should've resigned, but I also feel the disorderly charge was way too easy on him, way too easy-he got off light.
  • MisterGuy
    15 years ago
    "Does the law making it illegal to sleep in a running vehicle while intoxicated encourage people to drive drunk so they can get home, or is it necessary to keep drunken people out from behind the wheel?"

It's a necessary law...people's safety needs to come first.

"Only difference was I was not trying to drive under the influence. I was planning on walking the 2 blocks to the Waffle House and then to PP."

No, you were drunk in public, which is apparently against the law down there, moron. Sober up before you roll down a flight of stairs again old man!

"She has heard the same scenario. 'hospital or jail'"

...which most sane people would pick hospital, but, in this case, you moronic bravado got the better of you & you paid the price for it!

"I did see two M.D.'s while I was in jail and it was free"

...to you that is. Thanx for wasting valuable tax dollars because you're a cheap, old bastard scat!

"I am not proud but am honest."

No, once again, you're a drunk, old fool who'll apparently never learn...ugh...
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion