tuscl

The war against Hustler

SuperDude
Detroit, Michigan
November 25. 2009 1:00AM
Ministers try to stop opening of Lincoln Park strip club
1,000 letters ask state panel to deny liquor license for Hustler
Steve Pardo / The Detroit News
Dimondale -- Lincoln Park ministers on Tuesday gave the Liquor Control Commission an estimated 1,000 letters protesting the opening of a controversial strip club and pleaded with officials not to grant it a liquor license.
"We believe this is dangerous and destructive to the community," said Russell Bone, pastor of the Lincoln Park Church of Christ. "We are urgently praying you don't grant this license."
Tuesday's Liquor Control Commission hearing was perhaps the final chance for residents and the ministers to stop the opening of the $4.2 million Larry Flynt's Hustler Club at John A. Papalas Drive and West Outer Drive.
Advertisement
Critics worry the club will bring in more crime, drugs and prostitution. Attorneys for the club say the area is zoned for such a facility and said there was no legal right to deny the liquor license.
"This is the place in Lincoln Park where adult businesses can go," said Lansing-based attorney Brad Shafer. "All we needed was site plan approval to establish an adult business there."
Commissioners are expected to rule within a few days. If approved, the club could open by the end of the week, said Frank Palazzolo, an attorney representing the Hustler Club.
"My client has no intention of allowing his business to become a problem in the community," Palazzolo said. "I'm hoping we can all work together."
The Rev. Frank Julian of the nearby Faith Christian Assembly held a prayer service in Lincoln Park at 2 p.m. Tuesday -- the same time as the hearing in the small community in Eaton County.
"We love the people and feel this is a detriment, not a blessing. Prevention is the best medicine. If we can stop it, we will help people in the long run," Julian said.
The hearing was the latest fight in a battle that's been going on for two years. The city faced lawsuits over zoning issues and council members themselves were called before a federal judge Oct. 13. U.S. District Judge Nancy Edmund admonished four council members for holding up the opening of the club by not approving a liquor license transfer.
The council members -- Valerie Brady, Mariano DiSanto, Thomas Murphy and Michael Myers -- maintained Hustler has not filled out the proper paperwork. The judge threatened fines of $12,000 a day. Council members approved the transfer that night.
The club was set to open Halloween, but inappropriate wording in that approval caused further delays.
Council members again approved the transfer Nov. 3, prompting the issue to appear before the Liquor Control Commission on Tuesday.
November 25. 2009 1:00AM
Ministers try to stop opening of Lincoln Park strip club
1,000 letters ask state panel to deny liquor license for Hustler
Steve Pardo / The Detroit News
Dimondale -- Lincoln Park ministers on Tuesday gave the Liquor Control Commission an estimated 1,000 letters protesting the opening of a controversial strip club and pleaded with officials not to grant it a liquor license.
"We believe this is dangerous and destructive to the community," said Russell Bone, pastor of the Lincoln Park Church of Christ. "We are urgently praying you don't grant this license."
Tuesday's Liquor Control Commission hearing was perhaps the final chance for residents and the ministers to stop the opening of the $4.2 million Larry Flynt's Hustler Club at John A. Papalas Drive and West Outer Drive.
Advertisement
Critics worry the club will bring in more crime, drugs and prostitution. Attorneys for the club say the area is zoned for such a facility and said there was no legal right to deny the liquor license.
"This is the place in Lincoln Park where adult businesses can go," said Lansing-based attorney Brad Shafer. "All we needed was site plan approval to establish an adult business there."
Commissioners are expected to rule within a few days. If approved, the club could open by the end of the week, said Frank Palazzolo, an attorney representing the Hustler Club.
"My client has no intention of allowing his business to become a problem in the community," Palazzolo said. "I'm hoping we can all work together."
The Rev. Frank Julian of the nearby Faith Christian Assembly held a prayer service in Lincoln Park at 2 p.m. Tuesday -- the same time as the hearing in the small community in Eaton County.
"We love the people and feel this is a detriment, not a blessing. Prevention is the best medicine. If we can stop it, we will help people in the long run," Julian said.
The hearing was the latest fight in a battle that's been going on for two years. The city faced lawsuits over zoning issues and council members themselves were called before a federal judge Oct. 13. U.S. District Judge Nancy Edmund admonished four council members for holding up the opening of the club by not approving a liquor license transfer.
The council members -- Valerie Brady, Mariano DiSanto, Thomas Murphy and Michael Myers -- maintained Hustler has not filled out the proper paperwork. The judge threatened fines of $12,000 a day. Council members approved the transfer that night.
The club was set to open Halloween, but inappropriate wording in that approval caused further delays.
Council members again approved the transfer Nov. 3, prompting the issue to appear before the Liquor Control Commission on Tuesday.

8 comments

• SuperDude
    15 years ago
    Sorry, I clicked twice. You only have to read it once to get up to date.
  • Drippy
    15 years ago
    I hope the zoning laws prevail and this club opens. But with Hustler opening soon and Landing Strip reopening, what will happen with the supply of dancers in the Detroit area? Will dancers move to these "new" clubs? Will fewer dancers be available at existing clubs. Will they work in more than one club? Will more ladies become dancers to fill the need?
  • SuperDude
    15 years ago
    Once it opens we will see a real test of the free market theory of supply and demand. A lot of young women who can't find jobs may try dancing. Veteran dancers will look to go to a new high end club hoping to make more money. Existing clubs will step up their game to face the new competition. Dancers may move in from other states. Or not.
  • samsung1
    15 years ago
    Thanks for the update on the story. I remember you (or maybe someone else) posted a story regarding this a few weeks ago.

I have not been in a Hustler club, but I am guessing they are low mileage because of the corporate brand name increasing security and supervision over club activity.
  • samsung1
    15 years ago
    Superdude, I recommend watching the film The People vs. Larry Flynt (1996)

"The film begins by showing young Larry Flynt (Cody Block) at the age of ten, as selling moonshine in an Appalachian region of Kentucky. The narrative then advances 20 years. Flynt (played by Woody Harrelson) and his younger brother, Jimmy (played by Brett Harrelson, Woody Harrelson's younger brother) run a Hustler Go-Go club in Cincinnati. With profits down, Flynt decides to publish a "newsletter" for his club - the first Hustler magazine, full of nude pictures of women working at the club, in the hopes of attracting customers. The newsletter soon becomes a full-fledged magazine, but sales are weak. It's only after Hustler publishes nude pictures of former first lady Jackie Kennedy Onassis that sales take off, partially due to all the publicity surrounding the photos."
  • stripclubspy
    15 years ago
    No worries. Having Flight Club across the street from Bogart's doesn't hurt Bogart's one bit. If Hustler club opens with high cover, high drink prices, high LD rates, nothing in the market will change. If they open with low prices, prices elsewhere may drop.
  • SuperDude
    15 years ago
    Thanks samsung. I saw the movie when it was first available on cable. It's worth seeing more than once. I enjoyed the scenes with Jimmy Carter's sister trying to convert Flynt to evangelical Christianity. I was and still am haunted by the scene of the attempt on his life that left him paralyzed. I know I'm in a distinct minority of people tagged as "paranoid" but I believe our society is quickly degenerating into armed camps of extremists of all kinds who believe that it is morally acceptable to kill people who hold different religious or political views. Think what you want about Hustler Magazine, but the publisher did not deserve to be shot.
  • samsung1
    15 years ago
    Kind of interesting that Kahoot's here in Columbus is part of a small chain and they own the Larry Flynt Hustler club in manhattan. It's a small world...
    http://kahootsonline.com/
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion