tuscl

tuscl Mobile Site...

founder
slip a dollar in her g-string for me
Guys with iPhones and Blackberrys: the mobile site has been enhanced. Please check it out and leave feedback. http://www.tuscl.net/mobile.php

thanks
F

7 comments

• Grey
    15 years ago
    Very handy upgrade. I use my smart phone all the time. The mobile site is fast and easy to use. Gives the ratings and basic information to decide on a visit and all you need to find the club. The main site comes up ok on my phone, but is slower and tougher to navigate. However, having the option to still get to the main site easily is very handy if you want to check reviews. All to many sites with mobile variants make it very difficult to get to the original site. Big thumbs up.
  • Book Guy
    15 years ago
    Seems handy. However, it tags me as living in the Golden Horseshoe of Ontario (region between Toronto and Buffalo). I did ONCE a long time ago live there, but I haven't been there in ages. And there's nowhere on "real" TUSCL to set my home location. Is this an issue, with my location from when I joined TUSCL, or an issue with it simply being my first visit to the mobile site?

I'm glad that things are moving upward for the mobile site. Suggestion: if you produce the "main" site via a style-sheet, rather than via simple text-entry into the HTML pages, then the style-sheet can simply be changed for the mobile site, and you don't have two whole databases to maintain. Instead, you maintain one database, and then two style-sheets. Or something like that.

Thanks!
  • founder
    15 years ago
    BG: It actually pulls up your local clubs based on your IP address. Are you still using your old ISP from when you lived in that area?

• Book Guy
    15 years ago
    Weirdness. Why would my IP be Canadian?

I don't know how to "set" an IP, especially not for a mobile. I'm on the internet from a variety of places, from a variety of devices, and I'm on the mobile network just "as is." Bought the phone here in USA. Never owned a mobile before I moved out of Canada. Oddly, however, several services on my mobile have me as inside Canada ... including Google Maps. How do I fix that?

Your thoughts?
  • Book Guy
    15 years ago
    OK. Some sleuthing.

I just went to http://whatismyipaddress.com/ and it instantly popped up a correct location for me -- nowhere near Ontario. That was with my laptop internet browser. Pointing this laptop to the mobile TUSCL page sends me to a "front" page, but when I hit "find nearby clubs" it gets my location correct, again.

However, on my cellphone, I get the following (amid a lot of other chatter):

Proxy Server Detected!
    Proxy Server IP address: 206.53.blahblah
    (not gonna give the details here on TUSCL)
    Proxy Server Details: BISB_3.4.0 ... pmdsl9.bisb1.blackberry.3128
    Proxy Reports as: unknown
    IP Address Location: Waterloo, Ontario Canada

WTF??? Looks like AT&T is screwing with my browser IP? Why? Doesn't that defeat the POINT of having a browser on a cellular, if they deliberately redirect it? Thus destroying any usefulness of the location-specific fact that a cellular can be carried around with you?
  • founder
    15 years ago
    i don't know much about all that proxy stuff... you might want to call your cell provider and ask them why they re-direct your browsing.

• Book Guy
    15 years ago
    Founder: I did call. They tell me that all R.I.M. devices are always proxied to Canada. So, every single Blackberry user on the planet, with every single cell carrier from AT&T to Zyzyzy, will be identified as walking around in Waterloo Ontario.

What a bunch of dumb fucks. I'm seriously thinking about sending the damn thing back to them with a note that says, "GPS doesn't work. It thinks I'm in a foreign country where assholes live." (But of course, the GPS works fine. It's the proxy server on the web browser that doesn't. Hey, I don't mind lying ...)

Their insidious plan is, to be able to monitor and understand web traffic from cell phones. Since their home servers are the conduit for all their traffic, they can watch that flow as it comes through and, thereby, gather usage data. Generally what they gather is volumes and flows versus types of sites, and mostly they gather it anonymously (though of course they need not, given that there's nothing in my contract that prevents them from spying on me). So, it's not exactly that they want to steal our private data. It's more, that they want to know who is browsing to what, so that they can then sell the info to potential advertisers.

Dirty bastards. They've got me tethered to their goddamned ass-wipe backwater where I used to live. I spent nine years in that god-forsaken hell hole, being told every fucking week how "evil" my home country was, losing out on promotions because of their nationalist fervor and the anti-American bigotry that is the only thing which defines Canada as Canada at all (because without it, they wouldn't even exist, much less matter).

Pisses me off ...
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion