tuscl

Where are you from?

Saturday, December 13, 2008 10:22 AM
Do you ever get tired of this question? I once got tripped up by it. I thought of 4 states and different moves within one of those states. Then I thought of two other states where I was visiting for a whole month. Is that living there? I lived in South Carolina now for over 10 years so I just say where I live at now even though some notice an accent. What is your answer? Do you ever get tired of this chit chat? I guess it depends on who is asking.

8 comments

• casualguy
    16 years ago
    I can imagine some of the older posters on here have lived all over the place.
  • dallas702
    16 years ago
    #1 Wanna dance? #2 Can I sit with you? #3 What's your name? #4 Have you been here before? #5 Where are you from? It seems these 5 questions (usually, but not always, in the above order) are on every strippers lips every night. I, too, have been around. I've lived in 5 different states and spent time in a dozen others. Once, the "who are you" type questions bothered me, but I've since adopted the position that it gives me a better chance to keep the ones I want sitting with me. So I have fun with the question. "Are you asking where I'm from originally, recently or last week?" Then I take the conversation where ever the lady wants. Unless, of course I want to get rid of her. Then one word answers while watching the stage will eventually convey the message.
  • ozymandias
    16 years ago
    I was born in Ann Arbor, MI (my parents were in grad school at UofM), grew up mostly in the South and South East (GA, TN, AR, TX) and have lived in the Philippines and Thailand. Atlanta always seems to be my home base. I've been kind of thinking of moving to the Northwest - love the outdoors up there. Or Colorade, maybe. O.
  • Dudester
    16 years ago
    Oz, u de man!! I very much appreciate a worldly person. Global people are very interesting IMO. I've lived in Los Angeles, and been stationed in San Diego. I've lived in different parts of New Mexico, and been stationed in Roswell. I presently live in Texas. I did a TAD in the Marines that had me spend time in bases in San Francisco, Seattle, Alaska (Kiska), and Japan (Iwakuni, Okinawa).
  • ozymandias
    16 years ago
    I have to say, the best way to appreciate how great a country the USA is - warts and all, and sure, there are warts - is to live in other countries. Especially the 3rd world. It pisses me off when I hear 19 year old college kids complaining about how "oppressive" or "unfair" America is... makes me want to send them to the Cavite jungle in southern Luzon with a canteen, a tent, and a Sig 550 for 6 weeks, see if they change their minds afterwards ;) O.
  • SuperDude
    16 years ago
    What is your ethnic background? That one let's me know the dancer has a skin color problem and that's the end of the conversation.
  • DandyDan
    16 years ago
    I don't about that one, but a similar question, "Are you from around here?" gets me. That all depends on how you define "here". At the club I go to most, The Playhouse, which is south of Council Bluffs, Iowa, they are 5 miles away from Offutt AFB. How does someone from that Air Force base answer that question?
  • ozymandias
    16 years ago
    My ethnic background is pretty obvious, or so anyone would assume - Mr. Anglo! Light brown hair, blue-grey eyes, fair skin, the works. Actually, though, I'm 1/4 Cherokee (my mother is half), but it pretty much doesn't show at all except in my nose, which has that little Cherokee angle in the bridge (I'm sure there's a better term), but most people interpret that as a Germanic feature. O.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion