tuscl

Craig's List computer help please - unrelated

Thursday, June 12, 2008 4:49 PM
I recently found something that I'd like to purchase on Craig's List. But when I try to contact the person listed it won't let me, I get a message saying they don't support the type of system that my email is through (hotmail - and why the hell not - it's pretty common) and it tells me to open another account which I have no interest in doing. In simple language that I can understand, how do I solve this dilemma? Thanks.

9 comments

• founder
    16 years ago
    not to be an asshole, just buy a computer from someone else, and let craig know why.
  • Dudester
    16 years ago
    There's a specialty video service that has that problem with me. They tell me it takes 5 to 6 tries to get through to hotmail. I don't know what the problem is. On the other hand, I don't trust Craig's List. I have bought tens of thousands of dollars of items off of Ebay. It's your choice.
  • FONDL
    16 years ago
    Dudester, I wouldn't normally trust Craig's List either but this person lives near me so if I can get hold of him I can go see the item. But I can't get hold of him. And Founder, it's not a comuter I'm looking for, it's a used bicycle, which I would never buy without seeing and riding first.
  • FONDL
    16 years ago
    And the only reason I raised the issue here is because others have frequently mentioned Craig's List so I assume some people are familiar with it.
  • Book Guy
    16 years ago
    Quickest solution: Sign up for a Yahoo mail or Google mail account, and use it for this one transaction. Either is free. You could also use [view link], or any of a number of other free services. Sure it's a bit of a pain in the butt, and the days are gone that "freemail" was under-functional to the extent that it would have been reasonable for a place like Craig's List to reject them, but I guess you're just stuck with Craig's Shit.
  • David9999
    16 years ago
    use ebay not craigs list, the first is a proven system with many safeguards, the 2nd ripe with fraud
  • CarolinaWanderer
    16 years ago
    Highlight and copy the craigslist address, i.e. [view link] and to hotmail and sent the email in hotmail
  • shadowcat
    16 years ago
    FONDL: I would never buy anything on line from a private party. I know that there are people that swear by it but I don't trust the system. Have you considered garage sales? I go to them frequently and have seen many bikes for sale. Last week I bought an artificial tree for my home office for $5.00. The same tree would have cost me $50.00 or more at a retail store.
  • FONDL
    16 years ago
    ShadowCat, I'd never buy anything from a private party online either, in fact I rarely buy anything online. In this particular case the person lives nearby so if I can contact him I'll make an appointment to go see the bike. And I do plan to hit some garage sales, although in this particular case I'm probably going to end up buying something new because the technology has improved so much in recent years.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion