tuscl

Republicans and the National Debt

ilbbaicnl
Keep it in my pants when I do OTC. If I were a stripper it would stand for I like big bucks and I can not lie.
How can a Republican both continue to support Trump, and also support what Speaker McCarthy is doing with the debt limit? Why didn't Trump support the big cuts that are in the budget that McCarthy is tying to force Biden to accept? When Trump was working with a House and Senate that were both controlled by Republicans.

59 comments

• Local Hick
    a year ago
    It is no longer the Republican Party. It is a Cult.
  • ilbbaicnl
    a year ago
    Seems like, when the Democrats decided to distance itself from the Klan, Nixon decided to bring them into the Republican Party. Old school Republicans thought they could use the Klan, but the party got taken over by them. They may not wear robes and hoods anymore. But us Boomers can recognize them by their behavior.
  • Hank Moody
    a year ago
    Democrats are not blameless in this either. The whole argument is a sham. It’s has nothing to do with debt or even spending. The one aspect of it that is 100% consistent is that when the party controlling the house is not the same as the president’s party, they will try to negotiate because of the national debt. It’s a bullshit circus and deserves none of our attention.
  • skibum609
    a year ago
    How can anyone be such a bald-faced liar and hypocrite and claim they are Americans when they voted for progressives who are less American than Borscht.
  • JamesSD
    a year ago
    Republicans have always been Low Taxes, High Spending when a Republican is President then suddenly complain about the debt and deficit when a Democrat is president. It's amazing how we "solve" the deficit anytime the President is a Republican!

Donnie in particular was fiscally reckless with no care for the future. For true deficit hawks he was a nightmare.
  • twentyfive
    a year ago
    McCarthy is hostage to the most MAGA members , all they need is a single member to kick McCarthy out and make him the ex speaker of the house.
  • skibum609
    a year ago
    Biden remains hostage to the left and China.
  • Tetradon
    a year ago
    "Why didn't Trump support the big cuts that are in the budget that McCarthy is tying to force Biden to accept?"

I wasn't aware the Republicans were trying to engorge the IRS to go after Americans.
    Going after independent journalist Matt Taibbi on Christmas Eve when he didn't owe anything, I'm sure there's a good reason.

Thank God one party is serving as the voice of spending restraint during a time of rapid inflation!
  • JamesSD
    a year ago
    If the Republicans did boot McCarthy we would be in for months of squabbling. Part of how he won the speakership was no one else came close to having enough support.

The fact he's so weak isn't helping the debt ceiling negotiations. He doesn't want to rely on Democratic votes to make a deal. But he doesn't have a lot of power to corral the cats.
  • ilbbaicnl
    a year ago
    What's an example of when a Democrat-controlled House put conditions on raising the debt ceiling?

Why isn't the front-runner for the Republican nomination someone who's consistently been a budget hawk? Given that the budget is supposedly why Republicans are willing to take the country to the brink of financial collapse.

I only see the Democrats as the lesser evil. Democrats represent the part of the elite that see us as milk cows. Republicans represent the part of the elite that see us as steak dinner.
  • twentyfive
    a year ago
    The link isn't working it shows the national debt since Kennedy, with the biggest growth during GWB and the first steps of a reduction under Biden, none of these guys did very well, but if the congress wants to shave costs, let them start with what they give to themselves, and work out from they're own spending, the biggest pigs at the trough are congressmen and senators, and they have benefitted the most from the stolen tax funds, and yes they are thieves, both parties.
  • Tetradon
    a year ago
    "the biggest growth during GWB and the first steps of a reduction under Biden,"

Misleading. Trump needed to spend to keep the economy afloat in the early days of the pandemic. Biden continued to do so after it was no longer needed, and mostly shoveling more cash down the green money pit, and after we had already seen inflation.
  • Tetradon
    a year ago
    ""My vote against the debt limit increase cannot change the fact that we have incurred this debt already, and will no doubt incur more. It is a statement that I refuse to be associated with the policies that brought us to this point."
    Senator Joe Biden, 2006
  • whodey
    a year ago
    The same reasoning as to why the Dems didn't pass any meaningful gun control legislation, immigration reform or address many of their other priorities when the controlled the House, Senate and Oval Office. Both sides just want to keep their talking points in place to bash the other side in the next election. They both care more about that than they do about actually addressing the things they say they want addressed.
  • twentyfive
    a year ago
    ^^ Nothing that I posted was misleading, I’m not saying the spending is one sided, but you can’t have it both ways, if you’re willing to take the economy to the brink of disaster you damn well better know you’ll be held accountable, and the simple fact is the money was spent, pay the bills and do their damn job.
    This is a pure and unadulterated stupidity and anyone saying otherwise is just an ignorant fool.
  • Tetradon
    a year ago
    ^ Yes, saying Biden took steps towards reducing the debt is either misleading or partisan.

Anyone who conflates needed stimulus with profligate waste on vanity programs is either ignorant or dishonest.
  • twentyfive
    a year ago
    Im not going to debate what you claim I said because you just set up a straw man argument, and that’s dishonest, and you should know better.
  • Tetradon
    a year ago
    ^ False, I used your exact language.
  • twentyfive
    a year ago
    My statement didn’t need translation it was good old American English
    I didn’t say anything about who created the reduction all I did was date it
    You’re quite capable of reading what I said it was not in any way misleading
  • Tetradon
    a year ago
    "First steps of a reduction."

OK, dishonest it is. Thanks for clarifying.
  • dha
    a year ago
    Fact is, excessive spending needs to be stopped, no matter which party or politician is in charge.
  • twentyfive
    a year ago
    This isn’t a new thing, if you want to curb excessive spending, don’t buy it, but don’t you think that if you’ve purchased something you need to pay your bill.
    You don’t get to pretend to be fiscally responsible by taking things and not paying your bills.
  • bang69
    a year ago
    To start with China has Biden by the bals. Now to the topic. Both Republicans and Dems are responsible. For the debt ceiling issue.
  • gammanu95
    a year ago
    Political commentary from a guy who doesn't know the difference between Ihlan Omar and Ulaanbataar? Give me s break.
  • drewcareypnw
    a year ago
    Republicans vs Democrats on tuscl. The only thing more pointless is a lap dance with no extras.
  • SanchoRG
    a year ago
    Elites being elites. The end goal of being a puppet for elites is to roll back the new deal. Get those kids back in the mines so they can pull 7 12 hour shifts a week next to their fathers. Houses too expensive? Thats ok, you can live in the subsidized company town!
  • skibum609
    a year ago
    ^you can support the lazy useless Fucks if you care so much.
  • SanchoRG
    a year ago
    Or I can do nothing, because I don't take orders from random faggots on Tuscl
  • docsavage
    a year ago
    The pandemic stimulus spending wasn't needed. What was needed was to avoid the lockdowns. Florida avoided lengthy lockdowns and their economy boomed. Adjusted for age distribution, the Florida death rate from Covid was around the national average.

Both Republicans and Democrats are responsible for the increasing national debt. The neocon dominated Republicans want to increase spending on the military-industrial complex and unnecessary foreign wars. The Democrats want to increase spending on the welfare state. The person who is harmed by this is the productive individual who works hard to support themselves and their families and just wants the government to perform the basic function of catching criminals and defending the borders while otherwise leaving them alone.

• skibum609
    a year ago
    How do you spell lil bitch? D e m o c r a t.
  • SanchoRG
    a year ago
    Read here the dissent from Supreme Court Justice Harlan Crow that lays the groundwork for abolishing child labor laws:

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/22…

For you cable/internet new viewers, this might seem like a scary read. Warning for skibum, there are no pictures.
  • skibum609
    a year ago
    ^whatever little girl.
  • chugwa
    a year ago
    Two puppets one master.

The US is a weapons dealer. We make weapons and then stir ahit up around the world so that other countries are forced to buy weapons. Both parties are in on the grift. Both parties hate Trump because he is against the wars that get them paid.

The Dems hate Trump openly and the GOP just tries to undermine him. The weapons and war industry is the real puppet master.
  • ilbbaicnl
    a year ago
    Trump signed increases in the DoD budget when he was President. If he's so against dumb military spending, why did it fall to Biden to finally wipe and call it a shit in Afghanistan? The US tried isolationism after WW I and it only got use WW II. But Trump was totally right to call out the rest of NATO for freeloading.
  • dha
    a year ago
    Biden should politely and humbly ask Trump to negotiate with Putin. Trump would also make Ukraine pay the US back for that service and all the aid Biden keeps giving them.

That would be a good start.
  • ilbbaicnl
    a year ago
    You mean like how he made Mexico pay for the wall?

Every pro-Trumper should have a goldfish. The goldfish can teach them how to have a longer attention span.
  • Dave_Anderson
    a year ago
    Just stop. Republicans, as misguided as RINOS and neo-cons are, HAVE NO ACTUAL POWER IN THE NEW AMERICA. Its time for the Republicanophobes to find a new boogeyman. Democrats and more honestly New World Order globalists own any problems because they own everything. This is their baby now.

Further anyone who thinks some theatrical bickering over some arcane budget nonsense will matter in 3 months vs the 10 million foreigners who just overran our border in the past three weeks has very strange priorities.
  • dha
    a year ago
    True
  • skibum609
    a year ago
    Biden running away and leaving those who helped us in Afghanistan is a disgrace to a real American and something to be praised by the enemies of this country and the traitorous third column known as democrats.
  • Tetradon
    a year ago
    Withdrawing from Afghanistan was overall the right idea. It was the botched, rushed execution of it (to be completed by the 20th anniversary of 9/11) that made it catastrophic.

"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to fuck things up." - His own president, Barack Obama
  • twentyfive
    a year ago
    I don’t know what the right move was in Afghanistan but, it’s not that we left those who helped us, our supposed intent was to help the Afghans not the other way around, and get revenge on the terror organization led by Bin Laden, we should have left right after we got that Motherfucker, Obama and Trump had no business keeping us there for Biden to fuck up the pull out.
  • CostaTheCrazyGreek
    a year ago
    MAGA = sociopaths and amoral scumbags.
  • Mate27
    a year ago
    To the OP, not sure if the deal worked out by Biden and McCarthy will pass through, pending the extreme reps’ stances from the progressives and the far right hawks from the gop. Anyway, there’s talk that there will be enough crossover votes from the other side of the aisle to sign the deal. What I can predict from what usually happens is that there will be a coalition of reps trying to stand out and make a name for themselves by holding out on this, from both sides, extreme progressives and conservatives alike. Shut the tv off this week and don’t look at media is the advice I’m giving myself.
  • JamesSD
    a year ago
    Depending on the details of the deal I think progressives will fall in line for their votes even if they are publicly complaining about the details.
  • gammanu95
    a year ago
    "Obama and Trump had no business keeping us there for Biden to fuck up the pull out" Colossally ignorant statement. First and foremost, we had an obligation to the Afghan people to ensure that they had a fully stable, sustainable, and functional freely elected government to perpetuate the liberation the allied forces had paid for in blood and treasure- same as in Germany and Japan. Second, like Japan and Germany, we were to have a sustainable and valuable operating presence in that region, more valuable now than ever to contain China and Russia.
  • twentyfive
    a year ago
    I forgot you know everything tell us about all of your experiences, and how much smarter you are than me , don’t forget to include a few slurs and at least one racist remark.
  • gammanu95
    a year ago
    ^finally figured out that you'll never beat me, huh.
  • twentyfive
    a year ago
    ^ no one can in a race to the bottom of the barrel you’re in a class by yourself
  • gammanu95
    a year ago
    How can anyone? Your fat, sloppy ass takes up the entire gutter.
  • Mate27
    a year ago
    That fat ass penguin fucker still wadding his way onto a flame war here?
  • twentyfive
    a year ago
    ^ They still haven’t announced any cure for stupidity, sorry buddy you’re still SOL
  • gammanu95
    a year ago
    The fat ass penguin fucker has no life and nothing better to do, so, yeah probably. He's just going sit his demented, failed, handyman ass on his trailer porch and holler at people walking by to get off his yard.
  • twentyfive
    a year ago
    ^ LOL
    Proof that stupidity is contagious
  • Hank Moody
    a year ago
    I’m reasonably sure the debt deal will pass. The ramifications otherwise are too severe. Maybe they’ll have to tweak something but it’ll pass. That said, there may be some interesting moments if some of the Freedom Caucus holds out. By not supporting the deal that their Speaker negotiated with the White House the blame will fall squarely on them if it doesn’t pass, which is probably the biggest leverage McCarthy has to get them on board. Once it does pass, I don’t put it past one of those nutcases to move for a vote to oust McCarthy. 🍿
  • ilbbaicnl
    a year ago
    I fear that most members of Congress risk getting primaried if they vote for the deal. So you want to be one of the ones in in the minority that votes against it. So party leaders have to convince enough members they won't get primaried, or will have $ for their campaign if they do get primaried.
  • Hank Moody
    a year ago
    Our elected officials, doing what best for their own re election rather than what’s best for the country. Always been. Always will.
  • Mate27
    a year ago
    Really wishing Rick the Lion would come here and chIme in on his penguin fucking conquests. That way 2-bits can have someone in common to share stories with.
  • ilbbaicnl
    a year ago
    I'd have to say my opinion of McCarthy has improved. He was the bigger person, and made much bigger concessions. I can't blame him if he forces a less catastrophic government shutdown over the actual budget. Part of the problem is that it's hard for poor and/or hardworking people to vote consistently. But many voters have not gotten the memo that the age of politicians like Reagan, Tip O'Neal, Bill Clinton and Bob Dole is over. If divided government get's voted in now, almost certainly going to be a shitshow.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion