tuscl

OT: What's the deal with Invicta watches

Estafador
BIG APPLE
So I've been a fan of watches for a little while and I believe my favorite watch brand is Invicta. I like them a lot mainly because they have great designs that are catchy to my eye and all sorts of various colors and schemes.

Now my thing is I hear some mixed reviews about Invicta some people say that the quality sucks and it's just ripoffs of other brands and other people say that they're great for the money and the quality is very good. So I want to know what you guys think. I like them cuz they have great designs and they don't seem to be copying much of any other brand as far as I know but I'm still on my way to becoming a watch aficionado.

I plan to sometime in the future by Rolex that's not too crazy price mainly just as a milestone present to myself otherwise I'll stick to Invicta unless persuaded otherwise.

32 comments

• Cashman1234
    2 years ago
    Invicta watches are very nice. They have good designs and they are nicely made.

There are many watch fans who get enamored with the big expensive names. Those watches are great, but in the end, they simply tell time.

I have a Casio G Shock, an Apple Watch, and an Omega Seamaster Titanium (Automatic) for diving. The most reliable watch is the Casio - it’s also the cheapest. The Apple Watch is very useful for running. The one I find least useful is the Omega - which is the most expensive by far.

The Rolex name is one of the most recognized for expensive watches. But, an Invicta is also a good name that performs well.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    invicta watches use seiko movement. So they're not bad quality as watches. They're on par with seiko dive watches.

A lot of the criticism comes from them imitating other companies designs and some of the watches look gaudy. I think it's just a watch snob thing.

I like some of them.

Don't get caught up in big names or expensive watches.

The watch I've gotten the most compliments on. A metal g shock .... https://coolmaterial.com/wp-content/uplo…
  • shadowcat
    2 years ago
    The only time I wear a watch is when I go to a strip club because there are no clocks in there and I don't want to take my cell phone inside for fear of it getting lost, stolen or damaged.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    Now a days I don't wear watches coz they bring unwanted attention. It's dangerous out there
  • iknowbetter
    2 years ago
    It might be a generational thing, but I would not necessarily view Invicta as a luxury or status item. To me, they are big and clunky and seem to be worn by guys in $100 tee shirts who want to be noticed.
    I inherited a vintage 1969 Rolex Daytona from my father in law. It is a beautiful piece of jewelry, but I really only ever wear it on special occasions. For my daily driver, a Citizen eco drive is just perfect. Waterproof, solar power, and atomic clock can’t be beat, along with a reasonable price point, I don’t have to worry that someone is going to knock me off for my watch.
  • mark94
    2 years ago
    I made the transition to an Apple Watch a couple years ago. Accurate time. Calendar. Weather. Text. Bio info. You can choose from dozens of Watch faces. For the price of a Seiko that tells time.
  • azdd
    2 years ago
    Citizen Eco Drive works fine for me too, although I usually leave it in the car when I go into a club, and just use my phone for time. I don’t know much about high end watches, but when I’ve gone on cruises with Royal Caribbean, they push Invicta pretty hard in their on-ship sales, offering lots of specials. I’ve always liked the looks of Tag Hauer and Breitling, but would never spend that kind of $$$ on a watch.
  • Estafador
    2 years ago
    @2Icee omg that looks so gaudy. That's something I'd wear at a frat bro's party. Is that a real G-shock? Wouldn't have guessed they'd make an all gold one hahaha.

@iknowbetter well I like invicta because I like cool designs, not necessarily for luxury. If I have to look at something on my wrist at least let it be pleasing to me. Of course if the watch is garbage all ways around, I would want to know before I throw away hard earned money on it. Also i don't have no pops handimg me down rolexes through the generations.

I keep hearing about citizen's watch. I don't get the appeal. Looks like an average watch with a big price tag to me. Ive seen some of those go for thousands of dollars and I'm just sitting there like "why?" But I do hear they are very long lasting.
  • Cashman1234
    2 years ago
    I didn’t realize how inexpensive Invicta watches are. I just did a basic search, and there are several under $100. That’s not bad for a decent watch.

Since I got my Apple Watch, I’ve not worn my other watches. It provides significant functionality and it keeps working.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    A gold g shock isn't nearly as gaudy as most of the stuff invicta comes out with lulz

https://invictastores.com/invicta-gladia…

Id never wear that lulz

But I like invicta aviator watches

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/image…

I just ordered this one while looking for pics lulz

https://invictastores.com/invicta-aviato…

Citizen watches are cheaply made.

Also beware of fashion house watches like Gucci Armani etc. They use fossil movements so you basically get a fossil watch at designer prices.

If price didn't matter I'd get a Richard Mille or Hublot...but price matters lulz
  • iknowbetter
    2 years ago
    @Estaf - LOL, you are correct, I am not too proud to admit that my first wife came with (and left with) many financial benefits.
    You should try a Citizen. I have been wearing a $300 +\- model daily since 2007 without ever replacing a battery. Durable and waterproof enough to wear at the beach, on the boat, snorkeling and swimming in salt water.
  • Estafador
    2 years ago
    @icee I know your trying to clown me with that invicta sample, but no cap, I'd wear it. It looks cool.😆 I'm into funky designs. I'd PROBABLY (emphasis on probably) wear that gold g-shock if there was ever a time to wear it.

@iknowbetter citizen would be something i'd look into for that long last average tuesday look I suppose.
  • Estafador
    2 years ago
    wait for all the money gucci and armani makes, their watches are fossil quality? No hate on fossil, my cousin loves their watches but I'm very suprised considering how much money the could pour in to make a primo watch to compete with the likes of Rolex.
  • twentyfive
    2 years ago
    If you're looking for a good quality watch, you can buy entry level Seiko watches and Tag Heuer watches for a few hundred, but wearing these G-Shock or Invicta branded watches will get you marked by people that know watches as a poseur, you can buy some very nice watches to wear every day for about $300-500, or just buy an Apple or Android watch they're reasonably priced, and stylish, best of all they won't get you pegged as a phony status seeking poseur.
  • Estafador
    2 years ago
    @twentyfive are there seiko and tag heuer watches with cool designs? And what would be considered a Poseur in the watch community?
  • doctorevil
    2 years ago
    Invicta is basically a poseur brand. But they are inexpensive. If you think they looks good and give you pleasure to wear, why not. G-Shocks are real watches, even the cheap ones. Actually, in my opinion, especially the cheap ones. They are made to withstand very harsh conditions and they do it well.
  • doctorevil
    2 years ago
    Seiko also makes good quality relatively inexpensive watches.
  • twentyfive
    2 years ago
    I don't have a problem with the G-Shock watches but when you gaudy it up it's kind of obvious, same with those citizen watches, my point is if you're going for a status symbol, watches are a very poor way to go about it, genuine expensive watches are well known and coveted, by many. if you're looking for a Rolex or a Breitling be prepared to spend a minimum of 10-15K if that's too pricey, go for utility, nothing wrong with it, but Invicta like many of those hyped brands are a waste of money, they retain no value, BTW there are much more expensive watches out there than Rolexes, but they run in the hundreds of thousands, the folks that know will know, the folks that don't won't.
  • doctorevil
    2 years ago
    Rolex sport watches, like the Submariner or GMT, are basically entry level “luxury” watches. But they are very good. I have a Rolex Sub I wore every day for 30 years and it never let me down. Still works perfectly. Like 25 said, true luxury watches are in the multi-$100,000 range.
  • Estafador
    2 years ago
    @twentyfive. I think my best status symbol would be my McLaren 650S spider. Heard I could find some around the country for as low as $150K. But I guess the cheaper "status symbol" would be a $4K Rolex at least that's what I heard.
  • twentyfive
    2 years ago
    Those toys are nice, my own preference would be a Mercedes and a Patek Phillipe, but even better is having the money in the bank.
    BTW if your are as tall as you say, you ain't going to enjoy that McLaren
  • Estafador
    2 years ago
    @twentyfive I got the idea for the McLaren here: https://flurrysports.org/what-sports-car…
  • twentyfive
    2 years ago
    ^ I'm not really familiar with that car as I've only seen a few of them over the years, I'm more familiar with my own vehicle a Mercedes E63 coupe,they are quite popular here in my area,another car Isee frequently is the Bentley coupe, three of my neighbors own those and the guy next door has a Ferrari Daytona, that one is uncomfortable, we also have a neighbor with a Bugatti Veyron I have no Idea of the cost but I'm sure it's a million dollar supercar..
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    Invicta uses Seiko movement. You get Seiko quality dive watches movement in a nicer design with Invicta.

The problem with watches as a status symbol is most people don't even know what luxury watch brands are so they won't know what you're wearing. And fakes are really good these days. Plus flex culture is dying out.

• misterorange
    2 years ago
    I don't know anything about Invicta, but just look at this Rolex knock-off for $50 bucks, available on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Invicta-Diver-Blu… That's all I need to know about the brand. Apparently it's legalized counterfeiting.

I'm not much of a "watch guy" in terms of making a fashion statement, but as a practical matter, leaving home without a watch is like forgetting my wallet or my cell phone. Almost never happens and if it does, I feel really uncomfortable. I've only worn four watches in my lifetime.

As a child I had a Timex (with the "twist-o-flex" wrist band). It kept great time except it was a wind-up so if I didn't wear it for a day it had to be reset. When I was about 13 my parents took me on vacation to St. Thomas and I bought a Seiko with my own money. I dunno, maybe $100 back then? I wore that watch through high school, college, basic training, Infantry school, and my entire first marriage. It still worked great but it was pretty beat up. When I cracked the crystal it started showing signs of moisture under the glass.

Rather than fix it, I bought a relatively inexpensive Tag Heuer Kirium. Still have the receipt. It was 6/22/02 and cost $1,345 before tax. I've worn that watch nearly every day for the last 20 years, except that every five years or so it needs a battery which takes like a week. I have a Bulova Marine Star that was a gift, and I'm guessing cost about $200 when I got it many years ago. I wear it when the TAG is in the shop or when I know I'll be seeing the person that gave it to me! Lol.

Seriously though, Bulova makes a very good quality product for a reasonable price. A new Marine Star today costs about four or five hundred. Waterproof to 100 meters. (My TAG is 200 meters, haha, like I'll ever be more than six feet under the water.) I actually like the clasp better than the TAG. (You can make minor adjustments to the band length without having to add/remove links.) And the battery replacement is much simpler, any hole-in-the-wall jewelry store can do it in two minutes for about 10 bucks. The TAG needs factory authorized techs with special equipment because it gets pressure-tested. The Bulova has a pretty good crystal that is somewhat resistant to scratches, but it doesn't compare to the sapphire crystal used by TAG and other high-end manufacturers. On the other hand, my Bulova had some scratches and it cost less than 50 bucks to replace the crystal with a brand new one.
  • twentyfive
    2 years ago
    I’ve actually seen some of these fakes they look real good until their in your hand, then you’ll know the fakes feel much lighter and just don’t measure up to the real watches, even the movement looking at the sweep of the second hand give them away.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    Japanese movements are really good. Expensive watches have a clean sweeping second hand. But a really good fake. Um talking ones costing between $500 to $2000 are like the real thing weight movement and all.

Honestly I'd pay $2000 for a good fake of say a $100k watch.

The one thing that even the most expensive fakes get wrong at times and you have to watch for is bracelet quality.

Cheap fakes are like Chinese made fashion watches. They use cheap base metals.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    I fell into the trap of letting cars define me but I'm over it. Expensive cars are just expensive money pits in the long run.
  • misterorange
    2 years ago
    ^^ Why am I not a bit surprised that Icee is an expert on junky fake watches?
  • Estafador
    2 years ago
    @2icee. Buy cars because you like them. Status should be a bonus.
  • misterorange
    2 years ago
    @Estafador "wait for all the money gucci and armani makes, their watches are fossil quality?"

Even if I was a millionaire I would never buy an Armani or Gucci watch, nor would I buy a pair of pants made by Rolex.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    Any status that comes from material objects or money is fake. It's just temporary clout. The thing to work on is your presence.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion