tuscl

Sentri vs Global Entry

Saturday, June 11, 2022 4:23 PM
I'm looking at getting either a Sentri card or Global Entry card and I'm confused. Global entry says International entry to USA by Land Air and Sea. Sentri says Entry to USA from Mexico (only) by land borders. Global entry is $100 and Sentri 122.50.... why would you get sentri over global entry? Is there something I am missing? Basically my main thing is not standing in a long line from TJ to San Diego via San Ysidiro PED crossing. I've only ever had one issue, otherwise my longest in line was 40 min but now that I'm traveling more , might as well. Any insight on the difference between the two and why get sentri over global, please let me know.

24 comments

• K
    2 years ago
    i use global entry. If i recall correctly, SENTRI will require your car to be inspected. If you will not be driving into mexico, Sentri or will be using different vehicles, Sentri is no better than Global Entry for getting back from mexico.
  • K
    2 years ago
    if only there was an edit button to fix my obvious typo...
  • besmitty
    2 years ago
    Thanks K --- I'm just crossing by land, walking actually. I prob should have specified that.
  • booji boy
    2 years ago
    Global Entry is for people who travel to a lot of international destinations on a regular basis. Sentri and Nexus are for US/Mexico and US/Canada respectively (but AFAIK they both work at both borders). For you, I'd just go with the cheaper option.
  • besmitty
    2 years ago
    @mongo --- i just dont see why ANYONE would do sentri over global unless im missing something. Global is cheaper AND is international. Sentri costs more and is only mexico, and isn't offered for all three land/air/sea ... so whats the advantage of paying more for sentri? thats what im questioning...
  • besmitty
    2 years ago
    im sure im doing global unless i hear a reason not too... I'm actually in the process of starting a job that'll give me free and cheap travel so i'll need it anyway.
  • Jascoi
    2 years ago
    GE is better and cheaper. I have it. Works also at Disneyland. (Ha!)
  • K
    2 years ago
    Sentri clears your car also. GE and SENTRI require you to undergo a background check and an interview. SENTRI requires your car or other vehicle to be inspected. K and his Nissan Sentra and covered under SENTRI and breezes through. K's is covered but his Civic is not covered by SENTRI so he and his car are subject to the usual checks and delays. if you will not be using your own vehicle to drive into Mexico, SENTRI gives you nothing more than GE. NEXUS is a Canadian program and is not as widely available at airports as GE. NEXUS interviews are available in fewer locations with most of them being in Canada. If you will be traveling by car to Canada, it is worth checking. it will be an additional $50 but there are dedicated lanes for entry into Canada. I have never had more than a five-minute wait getting into Canada by car, so I have chosen to not get nexus. Where and when you cross may have longer delays making the extar program worthwhile
  • Jascoi
    2 years ago
    If I understand it correctly, global entry does everything that Nexus and sentri does and it's cheaper.
  • besmitty
    2 years ago
    Jascoi - that is my understanding too. Sounds like im getting Global. thanks K and Jascoi.
  • booji boy
    2 years ago
    The two programs are different as K mentioned. The people who use Sentri/Nexus the most are truckers who cross often. GE is more for business travel. There aren't a lot of Nexus stations in US airports because a lot of Canadian airports have US CBP onsite and you arrive at a domestic gate. You can also use a Nexus card at a GE kiosk.
    2 years ago
    One other difference is that nexus/sentri work both crossing directions. I use nexus to enter Canada and Mexico if there is a line. Global only works in one direction, incoming to the USA. Nexus/sentri work in the same machines and the same lanes as global when entering Canada.
  • Jascoi
    2 years ago
    Thank you for explaining that.
  • besmitty
    2 years ago
    @623 - good info. I only need it coming back so I don't miss my flight so for me, makes sense to go with the cheaper option that also lets you do multiple international spots coming in but for others your info could help, thanks. Im going to apply for GE this week. It says 3 months...Jascoi, when did you get yours and recall waiting time?
  • PutaTester
    2 years ago
    I don't know if this helps, but it took me about seven weeks for a renewal to be processed. Note that renewal is approximately the same process as the initial application, including the in-person interview. The first time it was about four weeks, but that was over six years ago, so pre-covid, and being impatient, I scheduled my interview in Otay Mesa, because it was the earliest I could get. Flew down. Went to my interview and then for the first time went to TJ for an afternoon. I do not recommend interviewing in Otay Mesa. I had a 9:30 am appointment and it was almost 11:00 before I was interviewed. And the interview was 30+ minutes and intensive. They not only wanted to know where I worked, but wanted to see my corporate ID (which I had with me). They have my criminal record (or lack of) on the computer in front of them, but still grilled me on criminal history, in addition to some personal questions. I think the agent was enjoying watching my bewilderment. At the end of the interview, the agent announced that I would be approved and took my picture without warning, so I looked bewildered in the photograph. Then his demeanor changed and he gave me some (unwanted) tourist tips on what to see and where to eat in San Diego. I gave a polite thank you and left. When I interviewed for renewal at SFO, it was less than 10 minutes and that included trading a few comments about my minimal Spanish language skills. He was quite amused that I was making an effort to learn a foreign language. OTOH, I am not sure that he spoke Spanish at all, as his responses were minimal. Anyway, the point is that I know a few others who got their interviews at SFO and they were brief. Interviewing at an international airport is recommended.
  • OPIllini96
    2 years ago
    I looked at the application process for both GE and Sentri, and it appears I have to fly to Arizona, California, New Mexico, or Texas for the interview. I live in the Chicago area, wondering why I can't interview at O'Hare International Airport.
  • booji boy
    2 years ago
    @Opillin: I think you were on a webpage for Sentri (what do those 4 states have in common? :-)) GE can be got here: [view link]
  • PutaTester
    2 years ago
    OP I am sure there is an office in Chicago. Seems to me that was one of the options when I was looking for an appointment for my initial interview. OTOH, you could fly into LAX, interview, take the train down to SD, and hop over the border. Yeah it is a little complex, but oh what a relief it is to visit Adult Disneyland.
  • OPIllini96
    2 years ago
    Thanks, Mongo for the info. I plan to be in Tijuana August 7-10 and hoping my card is ready by then.
  • K
    2 years ago
    a comment on the initial interviews. GE is now pushing many interviews to your first return from another country. The wait for an appointment at EWR is half a year. try to return to the US at an entry point with GE interviews and add lots of extra time.
  • Jascoi
    2 years ago
    I waited maybe a couple months for the interview. Piece of cake interview. ( I guess luck of the draw (and at Otay!))
  • azfriole
    2 years ago
    @Smitty sent you a text on getting a quick appointment. Any of you regulars want it send a pm..
  • DeclineToState
    2 years ago
    GE lasts 5 years. And it gets you TSA Pre for all domestic air travel if you enter your GE known traveler #.
    2 years ago
    TSA pre clearance is included with NEXUS and sentri also
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion