tuscl

Vietnam War

ilbbaicnl
Keep it in my pants when I do OTC. If I were a stripper it would stand for I like big bucks and I can not lie.
Because she's obsessed with Johnny Depp, my fav brought "Platoon" on DVD over, and we watched it. She was pretty shocked at the scenes of Americans killing civilians and raping a prepubescent girl. She had never heard of My Lai. Is that typical for Millennials and Gen-Zers?

We also watch "Private Resort". Automatic 5-star movie for her because it featured a young Johnny Depp's naked butt. It's not a bad slapstick revival comedy, which you can say is either rare now or made more extreme by Johnny Knoxville. She no comprendoed slapstick, but knew who The Three Stooges were.

53 comments

• san_jose_guy
    2 years ago
    I wrote a report in school on My Lai, but there were other things like that, and so the movie is very realistic.

Ending scene, music of Georges Delerue
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIJZGR2F…

And yes, for Millennials history started in 1981 with MTV and Ronald Reagan.

SJG

2 years ago
    You think knowledge of the Vietnam war is weak for a real laugh ask anyone under 40 how WWII started and what were the reason/major events that caused the deaths of 20 million people.
    I paraphrase, “those who don’t know history are even more determined to repeat the mistakes history has tried to teach us.”
  • skibum609
    2 years ago
    In trying to explain the second amendment to people I always ask the same question: What impact did Lexington and Concord have on the second amendment. Ninety percent of the people need to be told what Lexington and Concord means. Sad. No one has ever gotten the answer right. The British marched out of Boston and into the surrounding farmland to seize guns. To disarm the militias and the populace. We fought back. We used our guns to defend ourselves against the tyranny of a large oppressive government. The second amendment exists because of this. The country exists because of this. The DNA of this country is people not bowing to government. Of using guns to prevent government overreach. Guns cannot be replaced unless you replace the populace.....
  • ElDuderino_AZ
    2 years ago
    When I was a little kid 30 years ago, my grandfather would talk about WW2. Granted, he was young and didn't get to join until '45, and spent most of his time on a ship, but he still had stories. I would have to presume that grandfathers today are doing the same thing albeit to a generation of little kids whose faces are glued to their phones / tablets.
  • twentyfive
    2 years ago
    ^ most of the man from that generation that I knew who served in some pretty horrendous situations including my own dad never really spoke of their service when I was young I didn’t understand why but after Vietnam I did, my own father saw action both on D day and in the Battle of the Bulge, he never wanted to speak about it.
  • ElDuderino_AZ
    2 years ago
    Eh, I wasn't told "war" stories. Just random stories about training, being on the ship, etc. Like I said, he didn't sign up until he was 16 or 17, and that was as everything was ending. I only mentioned it to say I figure kids today have *some* knowledge of Vietnam, if only due to grandpa telling a story or two...not necessarily about napalming a village.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    Americans have a conscience. There's a reason the war criminals weren't welcomed home.the media js less free now and better at covering up our war crimes.
  • twentyfive
    2 years ago
    ^ yet you advocate in favor of one of the worst offenders i the history of warfare, The Red Army not only commits war crimes it’s a large part of their tactical play book.
    Unlike the armed forces of the United States, our ranks may not be perfect, but our leadership seeks out and punishes American Soldiers that commit any war crimes.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    American troops get slaps on the wrist and war crimes are covered up. The US even opposed the Nuremberg trials and put reformed nazis in charge of West Germany.

And the red scare is over. No one buys that shit.
  • twentyfive
    2 years ago
    ^ all you’re doing is trolling as usual, you have no basis to make these kinds of statements.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    You're one of the biggest trolls here. Your knowledge of history and politics comes down to vapid jingoism.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_S…

A brief intro to American war crimes
  • motorhead
    2 years ago
    Hey Icce, let’s not forget it was a member of your own Democratic Party that labeled the soldiers who tried to stop the events at My Lai as “traitors”
  • twentyfive
    2 years ago
    You should move to someplace where the politics are more to your liking, Russia or Venezuela comes to mind, but my bet is you’d miss the freedom to spout your troll bullshit and get thrown into a gulag type place.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    I'm a registered member of the Green party.

20fag no need to throw a tantrum coz you can't deal with the truth.

And the freedom to say what you want is meaningless when if you try to enact change the gov sends in riot police to attack protesters. Or when you're coerced into validating a 2 party plutocracy by voting for the status quo
  • twentyfive
    2 years ago
    ^ You troll me without any validation and many others, why don’t you put me on ignore and go back to sleep, there was no fight on this thread, until you barged in with your ignorant mean spirited bullshit, put me on ignore you stupid stupid fuck, if you need some real information about the US Military and how it operates, check out who Ron Ridenhour was. You might get your eyes opened but your ignorance won’t allow you to be enlightened.
    I’m not throwing any tantrums that’s all you son.
  • skibum609
    2 years ago
    Green party - Cancer on society. William Calley deserved a medal.
  • twentyfive
    2 years ago
    ^ William Calley didn’t deserve any medals he was court martialed and found guilty.
    But Iceefag needs to stop slandering the good people that make up the United States Armed Forces, they don’t play politics the serve honorably for the most part, and we have a very strong leadership, that roots out misbehavior by servicemen in any theatre of operations
  • doctorevil
    2 years ago
    Calley definitely did not deserve any medals, and he should have gotten harsher punishment. He ended up getting three years of house arrest for murdering 300+ civilians. He should’ve gotten life at hard labor.

Here is who did deserve a medal for actions during the My Lai massacre, and who did get it 30 years too late.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_Tho….
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    20fag go fall asleep in a drunken stupor.

And the military is purely political. It does the bidding of the government for its political and economic interests.

War is government sanctioned murder and the military basically a murderous gang with immunity.

When American troops invade countries the people must be terrified and think the world ended like when medieval peasants faced invading vikings or Mongols.
  • san_jose_guy
    2 years ago
    Skibum, The Green Party is one of the most promising things we have ever had. William Calley was a war criminal, and gun ownership hasn't worked anything like it did at Lexington and Concord in a very long time, like not since the Civil War.

SJG
  • twentyfive
    2 years ago
    Iceefag, it's obvious you have no legitimate response so you make up insults and resort to trolling, anytime you like step inside a VFW Post and spout off the same shit you are saying here !
  • motorhead
    2 years ago
    SJG

The left says if abortions are banned, they will still happen but will forced to be offered by illegal back channel providers

Yet, they don’t say the same thing about guns. They seem to claim if guns are made illegal all the gang related and mass shootings will magically disappear
  • motorhead
    2 years ago
    Icee -

If you wanna discuss war crimes, let’s about your Commie Russian pals

They raped 2 million women in WW2

• Tetradon
    2 years ago
    @motorhead, there are also 400 million guns (an undercount if you know a lot of gun owners), many of whose owners won't give them up easily. I'm pro-gun and pro-choice, though not an absolutist on either, in part because a ban on either is unenforceable.

The Green party, like most progressives, has the luxury to fulminate on every issue, knowing no sane politician will ever implement their crazy proposals.
  • twentyfive
    2 years ago
    The Green party, isn't really a party, they're a collection of weirdo's, they are not a political party.
    Don't they say something about doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result, that's what the green party is.. LOL
  • motorhead
    2 years ago
    ^^

Correct - well thought out comment

I’m not a gun owner so actually I don’t really care either way - I just don’t buy the argument that guns are at fault and if made illegal we are going to have a utopian Society
  • motorhead
    2 years ago
    My comment was to Tetradon
  • san_jose_guy
    2 years ago
    The Soviet Union did some horrible things. Russia is doing some horrible things today.

The Green Party is an amalgam of different interests. Stronger in Europe.

No one says that total gun control would eliminate all guns and gun crimes.

Abortion is something a woman may decide she needs to do. If it is illegal then it is harder.

SJG
  • Tetradon
    2 years ago
    @motorhead, there's another contradiction going around. Some Dems are saying that the armed citizenry is helpless against a government with fighter jets and Reaper drones, while at the same time insisting that rioters without firearms, with Viking helmets and selfie sticks were a threat to overturn the 2020 election. WTF.

In their unguarded moments, modern Democrats confess that they would end private firearms ownership if they could. They're getting bolder about it. The "no one is coming to take your guns" is interspersed with comments about the feds having bigger guns than you, or Beto's "hell yes we're coming for your AR-15."

Constitutional rights are not up for debate or negotiation.
  • twentyfive
    2 years ago
    ^ Let's be honest something is wrong, I own two handguns, and two long guns, none are Assault style rifles, we need something to change, I don't believe it is possible to disarm the whole country, and I don't want to see law abiding citizens not able to defend themselves, but there needs to be a change, there is no good reason, for peaceful public spaces to become killing grounds. I don't really know the answer, but all I can sat is it keeps getting worse every year, this is not the America I knew as a child, there is an infection in this land. If a solution isn't found this country will not survive.
  • san_jose_guy
    2 years ago
    Tetradon, the Jan 6th protestors and Trump tried to stage a coup. Fighter jets and Reaper drones would not have been able to protect our democracy.

25, I think the whole thing is a difficult problem.

SJG
  • Tetradon
    2 years ago
    @25, you're a reasonable guy, and I don't disagree on its face with anything you've said. But let's break a few things down.

1. What is an "assault-style rifle"? Until a few years ago, that meant a rifle with select-fire capability. Now as far as I can tell it's an inflammatory term made up by Dem politicians looking to ban them. Now they're calling them "weapons of war" (even further from the truth). What they are is magazine-fed center-fire rifles. That some of them can accept a bayonet lug or a grenade launcher (LOL) doesn't alter their primary function or lethality. I own a magazine-fed center-fire rifle that can accept a legal pre-ban 30-round magazine--it isn't of the AR-15/AR-10 style though. I don't know what that makes it, other than a lot of fun to shoot.

2. While I keep my firearms ready at my bedside for home defense (I've trained CCW enough to know I wouldn't be much good in that situation, LOL), the 2A isn't about home defense, it's about resisting a tyrannical government. The implications of that are unsettling to modern minds, that we should have access to any arms the military has. I'm willing to compromise somewhat here, which makes me a "squish" or a "pussy" in the minds of many other gun owners.

3. As far as "something needs to be done," I had an epiphany talking to a German coworker on my recent trip (I didn't go there just to FKK, y'know). She and her husband don't see our regard for 2A, but they owned guns for self-defense while they lived here (Bay Area CA and Daytona Beach FL a couple years each). I told them, "maybe you do understand why so many of us own guns." No one wants to be the only one without them.

Fact is, some time in our history, before our lifetimes, Americans decided the ability to resist tyranny was worth the tradeoffs--whether urban drive bys, firearm suicides, mass shootings--and now that the gun genie is out of the bottle, we can't just magic all the guns out of circulation. As a matter of fact, in a PoliceOne survey in 2013, over 70% of police and sheriffs said they would _not_ go door to door confiscating guns.

The problem isn't the firearm, kids carried rifles openly to school in the 50s and 60s and these mass shootings were unheard of. There are more firearms than ever in circulation, but they're in fewer hands--more collectors, fewer (mostly rural) people who use them day-to-day.

The problem is the culture. Unfortunately, we can't magically inculcate a respect for authority, two-parent households, etc. All these attempts to build self-esteem and insulate them from adversity haven't worked. I would support raising the age of purchase of magazine-fed weapons to 21, as well as a robust red flag procedure (as someone who's dealt with his own mental illnesses, I see this as a positive), and monitoring of social media. It seems like every mass shooter has told everyone what he's going to do and often when/how he's going to do it. And for the media, blacking out the guy's name and not giving them the fame they want.

All in all, though, mass shootings are like terrorist attacks. Our fear of them is way out of proportion of the danger they represent.
  • Tetradon
    2 years ago
    @SJG

"Tetradon, the Jan 6th protestors and Trump tried to stage a coup."

LOL, such a coup that they didn't bring a single gun into the Capitol. Viking helmets and selfie sticks. Pictures with Nancy Pelosi's podium.

Please bring Jan 6th to the voters. Meanwhile outside of your internet world, gas hit $5, inflation is at a 40 year high, there's a 32 mile immigrant caravan headed to the southern border, crime is spiking, mothers can't find formula for their babies, and Biden is 15.5 points underwater.
  • twentyfive
    2 years ago
    >>All in all, though, mass shootings are like terrorist attacks. Our fear of them is way out of proportion of the danger they represent.<<

The danger they represent is to completely unarmed and unsuspecting folks, and the truth is this is no less a terrorist attack than any other unprovoked attack anyplace in the world. lots of decent folk are shot in unprovoked attacks in settings they never would have suspected they were in danger, if this is the world we are to leave to our children all I have to say is wow just wow.
  • san_jose_guy
    2 years ago
    High inflation is caused by the idiotic bail out payments made by the leaders of both parties. Really dump. Need a complete economic system change, not expecting our treasury to prop up the squirrel cage economy.

Now we have to use progressive income and wealth taxes to get that money back.

Jan 6th was a planed and direct attack on our democracy. And no they didn't use guns, it revolved around a traitor in the White House.

SJG
  • Tetradon
    2 years ago
    "The danger they represent is to completely unarmed and unsuspecting folks, and the truth is this is no less a terrorist attack than any other unprovoked attack anyplace in the world."

And like any other terrorist attack, it is much less a threat than an ordinary car accident, or an inner-city gang shooting. We are drawn to spectacular though low-probability events.

"High inflation is caused by the idiotic bail out payments made by the leaders of both parties."

Really, go to the voters with that. Statute of limitations on blaming the last guy has run out. And guess what, it was a blessing in disguise to run Trump off Twitter, he hasn't been able to irritate the populace in a year and a half. Dems own this, and all the Jan 6 legerdemain in the world won't distract the American people from what hits them in the face every day.
  • san_jose_guy
    2 years ago
    I opposed the bail out payments when Pelosi and Trump were running the printing press.

Trump unleased an extreme fascist tendency which is in our populace. It is fanned by Fox News and by other stuff further to the Right on the Internet.

SJG
  • Tetradon
    2 years ago
    Doesn't matter what you supported or opposed, Biden owns it, and there's a good chance of a recession too.

The left has cried "fascist" about every major conservative in my 40+ years. Boy who cried wolf.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    Saying others committed alleged war crimes doesn't disprove nor change the fact that the American military commits war crimes and atrocities.

Banning guns is irrelevant to the abortion debate unless you consider women as inanimate objects there for your pleasure and to control.

The Trumpist terrorists are well terrorists and traitors. Its ironic how the US supports violent insurrection abroad and not at home though. Terrorists storming the capitol get better treatment than civil rights protestors.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    Trump unsuccessfully tried to mainstream bigotry
  • san_jose_guy
    2 years ago
    The way things are now on Biden's Presidency are quite good. Helping the Ukraine defend itself, economy running again. Trying to do something about he violent crime explosing.

Still the same broken economic system and hard to deal with that.

Best is to pass his Build Back Better and his upper income tax hikes, as well as the Green New Deal.

THis stuff starts us moving the direction we need to.
  • Tetradon
    2 years ago
    ^ Complete ignorance of basic economics.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    Only if your definition of a good economy means private sector profits. We're slowly waking up and looking at our vested interest instead
  • san_jose_guy
    2 years ago
    "We are all Keynesians now"

Richard Nixon

SJG
  • Tetradon
    2 years ago
    "Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon."

Don't know where you're getting Biden's "economy running again" when we're likely in stagflation and the Green Leap Forward only dials that up.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    Biden is basically into crony capitalism. Donate to him and get gov handouts. Fuck his corrupt geriatric senile ass
  • san_jose_guy
    2 years ago
    The Biden and A.O.C. plans are completely sound. Just can't get them through the Senate.

SJG
  • Tetradon
    2 years ago
    "The Biden and A.O.C. plans are completely sound. Just can't get them through the Senate."

The reason they get _any_ votes is because the people voting for them know they have no chance in hell.

Tripling the federal budget during a time of 40-year-high inflation is Smoot-Hawley level stupid.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    Biden opposes tye squad
    Him and Manchin have the same donors....thus why Biden never fights him
  • docsavage
    2 years ago
    In that period after Vietnam there was a strong isolationist mood in the country where people didn't want to get stuck in another quagmire. I went to work for the military in 1981. I took an oath to defend the Constitution from enemies both foreign and domestic, an idea I liked, but would not have done it if I had known we were going to wage wars of aggression in the future. People forgot Vietnam really fast. Our recent chaotic Afghanistan withdrawal gave me a feeling of deja vu reminding me of the U.S. fleeing Vietnam. Our inflation is like the seventies too. The only difference is this time we have a senile version of Jimmy Carter and rap is even worse than disco.
  • motorhead
    2 years ago
    There are some Disco songs that are classics

https://youtu.be/-ogAJdg99Jk

Here’s the list of classic raps songs …
  • ilbbaicnl
    2 years ago
    Forgot to mention, Dody Goodman was in "Private Resort", playing a somewhat randy GILF. She used the classic "hello sailor!" line, which my fav also drew a blank on.
  • motorhead
    2 years ago
    Michael Bowen also had a part - he most famously played Uncle Jack in the last season of Breaking Bad
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion