tuscl

March Madness

azdd
On the prowl in Tucson and Phoenix
Monday, March 21, 2022 5:28 PM
I scrolled back looking for a thread, and didn’t find one so I guess I’ll get it going. Now that the Sweet 16 is set, who do you like? I love my AZ Wildcats, but having watched them all season, I can see them getting tripped up before the Final Four. Any predictions?

13 comments

• Cashman1234
    2 years ago
    Anyone pick St Peter’s to reach the sweet 16? The last NJ team to reach the sweet 16 was Seton Hall back over 20 years ago! I wasn’t very comfortable watching Az and TCU last night. Luckily the wildcats won. I’m going with a different wildcat school - from Philly - to take it all.
  • azdd
    2 years ago
    I think St Peters busted more brackets than perhaps any time ever since that time a 16 knocked off a 1 many years ago. It was fun to watch their energy and confidence against Kentucky!
  • Hank Moody
    2 years ago
    UMBC beat UVA in 2018 to be the only 16 yo beat a 1. I believe UVA was also the number 1 overall seed as well making it that much more ridiculous. The thing about those upsets are they are so unlikely they don’t hurt your brackets unless you happened to pick that team to win the title. They hit everyone. Anyway, big story to me is the flop of the Big Ten two years in a row. 1 of 9 Big Ten teams in the tournament made the sweet 16 last year. This year it was 2 of 9. SEC also crumbled with only Arkansas left. ACC had 3 of 5 teams make the sweet 16 after being trashed all year for their poor record in inter conference games. 🤷‍♂️
  • motorhead
    2 years ago
    I’m a solid Big 10 guy - I always advocate they are the best conference in the country but two straight years of underachievement is disconcerting
  • motorhead
    2 years ago
    I’m so-so with my bracket. I am proud I had North Carolina over Baylor. Took down a number 1
  • Warrior15
    2 years ago
    I've already lost two of my final 4. I'm done. Although, my team, the Houston Cougars, looks pretty damn good. They took down Illinois pretty easily. Play Arizona on Thursday. Oh yeah. Sorry motorhead. The B1G is over-rated.
  • Muddy
    2 years ago
    I live in this area and I never heard of St. Peters, ever. It's a local team, wtf?
  • Mate27
    2 years ago
    That Cats vs TCU game had me wanting to sign up on a waiting list for a heart transplant! They never matched the Horned Frogs intensity much until the end, which tells me either they aren’t ready to play in the big time yet or needed that wake up call that almost came too late. It takes some luck to navigate the emotions of late teenage to young 20+ year old adults in pressure situations. You see some teams slow to adjust to a matchup they haven’t seen all year. You need an excellent guard handling up the court with additional scoring support from one or two of his teammates. The rest is simply playing relentless defense. Other teams that have that is Villanova, Purdue, Gonzaga, and Texas Tech. I picked the Tucson cats and Gonzaga to meet in the finals. We shall see, but my imagination of seeing Tommy LLoyd coach against his former team sounds like a story to good to be true. Both those teams have a huge target on them.
  • azdd
    2 years ago
    Agreed Meat, that would be a cool matchup. My concern about the Cats is that any given player can and has gone completely cold at any given moment. I’ve seen Mathuron, Koloko, Krisa, and Tubelis all have very shitty games. I just they can weather the storm for awhile longer!
  • shailynn
    2 years ago
    TCU has Jamie Dixon as their head coach. He is TCU alumni and was long time head coach of Pitt. IMO he’s always been way underrated as a coach. His sister was also the HC of Army (womens basketball) but died suddenly in her 30s. Can’t remember if she had a heart attack or aneurysm. In my Bracket last year if Gonzaga won I would have won it all in a group of over 200 people. Gonzaga lost to Baylor and it dropped me somewhere around 8th place. I thought I’d really be screwed this year but I’m sitting at 11th. What kills me is I had Iowa losing to Gonzaga in the finals and Iowa got knocked 1st round. My other 3 - final 4 is still alive: Gonzaga UCLA Arizona 11 of my sweet 16 are still alive. I saw Villanova and Houston play live this past weekend, and they both easily won their 2 games.
  • MackTruck
    2 years ago
    March is pissed off
  • Warrior15
    2 years ago
    What a tournament ! Only one #1 Seed left. All Big 10 teams are gone. Sorry Arizona fans. You were no match for Houston. And where the heck is St. Peters ? I'm sure that coach is gonna get some big contract somewhere else soon.
  • twentyfive
    2 years ago
    ^ I was thinking the same thing last night, none of the familiar big names left, this tournament has been fun to watch.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion