tuscl

Auto prices are about to rise again

twentyfive
Living well and enjoying my retirement
Just when the price of cars was starting to drop hurricane Ida destroyed about 300,000 vehicles. In areas hit by the storm it's near impossible to get a rental car, the chip shortage is having an impact all over again, looks like inflation is starting to rise and costs will be impacted in many sectors.

http://www.cnn.com/2021/09/15/business/h…

22 comments

• Muddy
    3 years ago
    It's insane. How could it even get worse? I was in Chicago back in July and I could not get a rental car, everywhere was sold out of everything. It's gonna be long year. The car I have now has like 230K I got no choice but keep running in into the ground.
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    Interesting. Thanks for the news.

SJG
  • Muddy
    3 years ago
    Walking on a car lot today is akin to walking into a strip club after not having jerked off and holding it in for 2 years. They really got you by the balls.
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    I do agree that there are deep economic changes which are in play. Our economic system has been broken since the 1870's.

SJG
  • WavvyCain
    3 years ago
    I have to buy a car soon so this news sucks :(
  • Mate27
    3 years ago
    Since the 1870’s SJG? Shit, we’re yiu wven around to feel the effects during how much of that time since? I’d think you’d appreciate the higher standard of living since the 1870’s you ungrateful Jack ass….
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    Productive capacity world wide outstripped consumptive capacity in 1873.

1. US Civil War Over
    2. Franco Prussian War Over
    3. War to remove French puppet Maximillian from Mexico over

So this was when a lame duck Grant administration was pressure to end Reconstruction in the South, to make it into a consumption center, while making the West into a natural resource exploitation center.

We needed to change, but instead we created our own internal third world.

And then of course two world wars and a whole lot more to bust material consumption and patch our broken system along.

At this point, the COVID induced crash may have been the final straw.

SJG
  • twentyfive
    3 years ago
    On the bright side I purchased my car in may of 2020 and it's actually worth more than I paid for it new.
  • blahblahblah23
    3 years ago
    ^ lol you just made me look up my car value too and I am in shock as well here LOL
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    Underlying a lot of this curious economic news seems to be the fact that our currency is collapsing.

Other than Weimar Germany, this has never happened to a major economy before.

SJG
  • twentyfive
    3 years ago
    ^ It’s not a bad thing lol
    What did you buy?
  • twentyfive
    3 years ago
    ^ my comments was to blah blah
  • blahblahblah23
    3 years ago
    I don't want to say, but it isn't anything fancy. I got my car January 2020 and I am seeing the used cars of the same type are selling for the same amount or more than I paid for it brand new. How crazy.
  • bkkruined
    3 years ago
    Well... Since you guys asked....

I gotta 2008 PT Cruiser...

Cracked windshield, AC compressor smokes, brakes squeal...

Have to turn the key twice to start it, first time fails, usually...

And it's got a history of the electric fan at the radiator not stopping when the car is shut down, until the battery is dead.

Oh, and the shocks are bad.

and there's a loud rattle coming from the back door every time you hit a bump.

For any of you guy, who "need" to buy a car, $20,000!!! What a deal!!!
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    If key does not work, hook up test light and make sure transmission switch works. That is, hold the key turned and then wiggle shift lever, watch your test light. But have starter disabled when you do this.

Check circuit for running the fan. As engine cools it should stop. Maybe thermostat switch need to be replaced. Can test it out on kitchen stove.

Shocks wear out, probably that used MacPherson struts.

Cars always require maintenance.

SJG
  • blahblahblah23
    3 years ago
    ^ you remind me of where they make fun of some top notch craigslist ads :DDD
  • twentyfive
    3 years ago
    ^ I bought an AMG E63 the price is 16K higher than I actually paid, I only have 7500 miles on it but its a fun ride
  • Mate27
    3 years ago
    My vehicle has 300k miles on it and it too went up in value Ali g with most everything else I own. However my peers look down their noses at me for not upgrading, the extra $500/monthly has gone into investments for the last 10 years and that’s doubled to over $100k, so I guess I could use that to buy something new like a Tesla. I like the idea of never going to a gas station again and drastically reducing the # of trips to the garage for routine oil maintenance. It’s almost worth the premium to pay, but I need my truck for DIY projects that save a lot of time and $$, too.
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    We still do not know how much our currency is going to sink, or for how long.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B093X4…

They might have to start pricing automobiles and the securities market in loaves of bread.

SJG
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    I'm getting over cars. Uber is cheaper and more convenient . And I'd never buy brand new though. A year or 2 makes a huge difference in price.
  • shadowcat
    3 years ago
    I've only got 20K on my 2018 Mustang GT so I am not concerned about new car prices but what does concern me is the possibility of getting into an auto accident and needing a rental car while my car is being repaired. Are insurance companies getting preferred service at car rental businesses?
  • PredragDr
    3 years ago
    The US will become like other countries where plebeians cannot afford car ownership. Ride shares are also becoming more expensive. Some of you might need to do some research on your local public transit systems!!!
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion