150 employees attend city council meeting.

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb
Story & video:

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/dekalb-…

14 comments

• goldmongerATL
    3 years ago
    600 employees! Other than the city itself they might be the largest employer in Doraville.
  • goldmongerATL
    3 years ago
    It tells you the kind of money a large club brings in if they offered the city a %7.5 million settlement, but were turned down.
  • wallanon
    3 years ago
    So is the club suing the town?
  • goldmongerATL
    3 years ago
    The violations all revolve around serving alcohol. Once the city annexed the property, they have been in court over the city ordering the club to stop serving alcohol. The club has continued to serve alcohol during this time and the city has been accruing fines.
  • bubba267
    3 years ago
    Desert, goldmonger is correct, the City annexed the business then wants to change the operating rules because they are inside the city limits. I think they, Oasis, has a strong defense. Unlike some other clubs that have faced similar challenges, Oasis has virtually no crime increase for the area which is the other argument that cities try to make.
  • shadowcat
    3 years ago
    Oasis agreement with Dekalb County was set to expire in 2023 with the option to extend for 15 years. Follies was under the same agreement.

Source:

https://caselaw.findlaw.com/ga-supreme-c…
  • boomer79
    3 years ago
    Sometimes I wish clubs would just give up the alcohol. I don’t drink and wouldn’t care about paying a higher cover to make up for it. Really for me it’s only about the girls.
  • bubba267
    3 years ago
    Boomer, easier said than done. The amount of revenue generated from the sale of alchohol is much higher than anyone realizes. It could never be replaced by a higher cover charge.
  • goldmongerATL
    3 years ago
    The average US bar tab is over $40 for a 90 minute stay. Prices are higher in a strip club. Gross margin is probably 80%. The alcohol sales print money.

I base this on an average of 40 people on day shift (guys buy dancers lots of drinks) and 100 on night shift. $25 an hour is conservative. 7 hours for each shift. That's about $25,000 a day.

If you take a broad range of $20K to $30K a day, 365 days a year, that is somewhere between $7 million and $11 million is alcohol sales per year.

You would have to charge a high cover and sell $5 soft drinks to make that up.
  • goldmongerATL
    3 years ago
    I meant 40 people and 100 people there at one time, not total :-)
  • boomer79
    3 years ago
    Wow. Makes me glad I don’t drink. Never paid much attention to what people spend on booze. I spend several hundred a trip without it.
  • shadowcat
    3 years ago
    Boomer79 - The only strip club in the Atlanta area that I know of that was no alcohol was called Boomers. It got closed down by LE for, I think, prostitution.
  • boomer79
    3 years ago
    I remember Boomers. I heard wild stories about it when I was just old enough to go to clubs but it had been slowed down by the time I went there. Of course those were the good old days when I was on UGA campus and didn’t need to spend money for a good time.
  • goldmongerATL
    3 years ago
    What I remember about Boomers is because it was no alcohol they let 18 year olds in. It was filled with horny teenagers that spend about $5 each. If a guy over 30 walked in he was instantly treated like a whale.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion