tuscl

Border crossing with luggage

Tuesday, June 29, 2021 2:17 AM
Hey y'all. I've been to HK in the past, but I stayed in San Diego. The next time I go (which I'm hoping will be soon), I want to stay in Hotel Cascadas; much more convenient. But, I have never crossed the border with luggage. Does anybody have any experience crossing the border on foot with luggage? Do they search your luggage? Do they ask what hotel you'll be staying in?

14 comments

• Warrior15
    3 years ago
    I take a large duffle bag with me each time. They don't search it but they do run it thru a scanner. Like the old ones at the airport from years ago.
  • TFP
    3 years ago
    ^^^^What he said. I crossed both times with a carry-on sized bag. You have to put it through the metal detector when crossing into Mexico and coming back into US. When I came back I had about 5 pills left from the 10 pack of Sildenafil I bought in Mexico. Had it right in my bag, no problem whatsoever.

They never searched my luggage, and the only questions they asked were going in, what's your purpose of visiting Mexico. And on the return trip they asked where I was headed, I said home, and they asked what city.

You'll be fine and I recommend staying in Mexico vs San Diego. WAY cheaper and less of a hassle.
  • TFP
    3 years ago
    I meant you have to run your bag through an x-ray machine both on the way there and back, not a metal detector.
  • Joe57195719
    3 years ago
    I thought the border was closed. What I should tell agents when crossing to Mexico?
  • Greanbeans
    3 years ago
    I’ve always done a 3 night stay (sun-wed) in TJ, always just have a backpack. Just a back pack. Dont need much in TJ. I do have my laptop, ipad, phone and all my shit for the next few days; jeans, shirts, shorts, toiletries, etc. Thats all i need.

One of my friends is an over packer; carry on + back pack. He has used baggage nanny and storage hero to store his luggage. Have never understood this, why pack all that stuff you not gonna use. He has also reserved a room in San Ysidro, left his extra shit in the room. Used it as storage. He would come back every night, momentarily to call home. Then back to TJ party. Don’t recommend this right now cuz the wait time to return to US is stupid.

As previous gents mentioned, there is an xray machine when going into Mex and another when going into USA.

Hope this helps a bit
  • Og12345
    3 years ago
    Why are the hotel rooms in san ysidro so much more expensive than in the past? A 3 night stay that was 250 including fees is now over 400.
  • booji boy
    3 years ago
    You want a duffle or a backpack... Mexico isn't too friendly to rolling luggage in general and Cascadas is up a steep-ish flight of stairs that are a pain to navigate with a suitcase.

I have never understood why anyone would want to stay in one of the crap hotels in San Ysidro and cross back and forth as it's not like your stuff is going to be any safer there. Cascadas doesn't do daily housekeeping and I've never had anyone working there go into my room or touch my stuff while I've been there.
  • shailynn
    3 years ago
    “ Why are the hotel rooms in san ysidro so much more expensive than in the past? A 3 night stay that was 250 including fees is now over 400.”

Post COVID world. Everyone was stuck at home last summer so EVERYONE is traveling this summer driving up prices, plus I think the travel industry is trying to make up for lost time. Examples I have faced. Hotel in Detroit $125 / was $70 before COVID. Hotel in Cleveland $150 / was $70 before COVID. Rental car in Floriduh $400 / was $225 before COVID. It’s everywhere, I hope it normalizes going into 2022 but not so sure it will.
  • PutaTester
    3 years ago
    Crossed Saturday with a backpack and large roller bag, because I have been on the road for two months. Was a little concerned myself, but there was no issue. As stated, there are X-ray machines both directions.

I got the Zona limousine because I was concerned about the heavy bags. When I arrived, I barely got out of the limousine and a staff member grabbed my bags and took them up the stairs. I tipped him $2.

Security took the bags saying that they had to search them. I was a little concerned because I had some cash in one of them, a computer, and a tablet in the backpack. The search was very superficial and nothing was taken. They set the bags aside in plane view while I checked in.

Only had one problem in the five years I have been going. Someone entered my room while I was TLN with an ATF. I yelled for him to GTFO, and he split. He didn’t turn on the light, so I assume that he was up to no good. There are cameras everywhere, so if there had been an issue, likely he would have been found out. Fortunately I didn’t have to deal with it.
  • Warrior15
    3 years ago
    They wanted to search your bags at Cascadas ?
  • Greanbeans
    3 years ago
    On my first post-speakeasy trip to TJ, Rizo security checked my backpack, superficially, but did open all pockets. Also, first time i got TB VIP, homeboy asked for my ID. First time for both. All other visits since have not repeated this behavior.

But since they introduced metal detectors, i think its just protocol to check bags?

• jlind526
    3 years ago
    Was down there Sunday into Monday. Both my friend and I had medium size backpacks. X-ray machine into Mexico and back to the US. When we checked in Sunday to Cascadas they opened both of my big pockets of my backpack and literally looked in and zipped it back up. No issues at any point, also checked out bags at HK as we got down early and the suite wasn’t cleaned yet. Business as usual…
  • PutaTester
    3 years ago
    The searches, metal detectors, et al are a result of an AB girl getting stabbed to death in a hall near their speakeasy.

Hard to get the whole story, but apparently some guy wanted to be more than just a monger to one girl and she rejected him. So he came in with a knife and cut her throat. She bled out in seconds. The kicker is that he took her from behind and killed the wrong girl. They caught him quickly but it put a chill on the entire Zona. Thanks to one fucktard, we will have to go through this security theater probably forever.
  • FTS
    3 years ago
    Thanks, y'all, for the intel. I don't mind a quick x-ray and bag search; what would I be worried that they would find? I'm just there for the girls, so even if I brought some sex toys it's not like anybody would be surprised or embarrassed! In fact, if it ensures no other fucktards commit violence then I'm all for it.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion