tuscl

Waterfront dining

skibum609
Massachusetts
I/We love eating on the water whenever possible. The only drawback is having to make an effort to avoid places that rely on the view over food, because good food is paramount. Its rare to have an amazing view and great food, but we know of one place that does: JB's on the Beach, Deerfield Beach, Fl. Its more than waterfront, its beach front. As in sidewalk, hedge, sand, ocean. What's more is the food is fucking great. All of it, from appetizers to homemade pies. The very best part? Saturday while we drank spicy pineapple margaritas we watched 4 young, fit, very skilled young women play beach volleyball. Maybe 10 yards away. Firm, fit, lovely and great players. They all wore thongs. Fucking breathtaking. Couldn't take my eyes off them. At one point I stabbed myself in the cheek with my fork while mesmerized. No one saw except my Wife who said: "That's why I ordered a sandwich". Where and what is your favorite waterfront spot to dine?

27 comments

• crosscheck
    4 years ago
    Ski - the funny thing is, when I read your first two sentences I was going to suggest JB's on the Beach. Most years I head to South Florida for a week in early March to visit family, play poker, hit some strip clubs, and catch some spring training games. The last 3 times I've been down, I've made sure to have dinner at JB's for a combination of a great steak, strong Moscow Mule, and a very pleasant view.
  • Longball300
    4 years ago
    Yep, a good beachfront bar is getting harder and harder to find as I imagine few can afford the price of the real estate.

Couple come to mind for just pure fun although the food leaves something to be desired: Bally's Beach Bar in AC and the Tiki Hut in Hilton Head.

Couple that do have great grub and the view: Palm Pavilion in Clearwater Beach and Whiskey Joe's in Tampa.
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    ^5 on the Moscow Mule. My sister-in-law is now a huge fan.
  • rockie
    4 years ago
    Boshamp’s Oyster House (Destin Florida) on the Harbor with its indoor and outdoor fine dining and sights to behold. My favorite dining involves a waterfront view, fresh air, a couple of adult beverages, and fine tasting food. I offer my happy place without suggesting that anyone else’s happy place lacks merit. Everyone should have one. I like a couple of their dishes that complement their native fish, while never having the oyster’s that they are known for.
  • crosscheck
    4 years ago
    Seaside Grill in Pompano Beach, FL is a nice spot as well. Right on the water, good food and drink, killer ocean views. Been there quite a few times, never been disappointed. Not as good as JB's, but not as pricey as JB's either.
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    We tried to get a reservation there Cross, but they couldn't accommodate the large party. Its on our list. Pompano is one place I have always loved from the old days of the harness track, to the poker room, to the great strip clubs.
  • crosscheck
    4 years ago
    Ski - my old man has been either a snowbird or full time Pompano resident for over 15 years now, so I try to visit every year. Pompano suits me just fine as a vacation spot for all the reasons you state. The beach, some good places to eat, poker, and good strip clubs is my idea of a week well spent. Just hopeful I'll be able to get back down there next winter.
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    I used to live in hollywood and my brother in dania when we were kids so i've loved the area for 50 years
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    If you like a divey kind of place that features live music on Saturday Nights and Sunday afternoon in Boynton Beach right at the dock is Two George, they have another location on the water in Deerfield Beach in the old Cove shopping center, but it' not as good. If you prefer a more upscale restaurant Banana Boat in Boynton just a few hundred feet from Two Georges both are very good and popular with local folks
    I've been to both JBs and the Seaside, they are both good but I feel they are a bit overpriced for the quality of there service, but it;s true the food is good.
  • crosscheck
    4 years ago
    ^ if you're looking for overpriced on the water down there, just go to Houston's in Pompano. That fits the bill. Beautiful location on the intracoastal but neither the food nor the service come anywhere close to justifying the price IMO.

If I'm going to go to a bar type place, my preference is The Briny right across from the beach in Pompano. Loads of character, I've always found the people to be friendly, and one the best cheeseburgers you'll find. And within walking distance of where I stay when I'm in Pompano, which is a nice bonus.
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    Our favorite place in Florida to watch Boston sports is Boston's on the Beach in Delray. Owners are from where I live.
  • misterorange
    4 years ago
    @ski
    Up in your neck of the woods, 75 on Liberty Wharf. We were in Boston a couple years ago for a Scorpions concert at the Pavilion. We wanted some drinks and appetizers before the show and went there because it's only a few steps away from the venue. Great food, you can sit outside right on the water, and we got to hear the band doing their sound checks, since the Pavilion is basically an outdoor tent sort of place. We'd have been able to hear the whole show from there if we weren't going into the concert. We liked it so much we went back for lunch the next day before we left the city.
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    We'll check it out. If we eat on the water in the Boston area we go to Cafe Rosetti's in Winthrop which is across a narrow road from the ocean. B.Y.O.B. and my favorite italian food. Sadly Winthrop women don't look like florida women lol.
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    Boston's used to be great, now it's just good, there is another place on the mainland side of the Bridge called the Dune Deck it's actually better and more comfortable.
    There's a ton of great restaurants in Delray, if you like great Italian food, a few blocks west of the water is Tramonti's definitely pricey but the food is exceptional and they have old fashioned Italian waiters that actually know how to serve food.
    BTW I live just about 10 minutes from Downtown we are there every weekend, and on Saturday mornings we usually hit the farmer's market at Old School Square on Swinton.
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    Been to Tramontis and could not agree more. The money is money well spent.
  • crosscheck
    4 years ago
    I've been to Boston's 3 or 4 times to watch Patriots games with fellow fans while on vacation down there. Always had a good time putting down large quantities of chicken wings.
  • ATACdawg
    4 years ago
    On the Gulf Coast, the Crow's Nest Restaurant, Tavern & Marina which is located at the South Beach Jetty in Venice has excellent, moderately priced seafood.

Fun fact: My late father-in-law, who was a carpenter/cabinetmaker was responsible for a lot of the work there.
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    Good food in Boston, but Providence is a better food city and just as close to the stadium.
  • misterorange
    4 years ago
    Haven't been to Providence in years. Do they still do Waterfire in the summer?
  • SerenitySinn
    4 years ago
    JB’s😋
    Ohhhh the times I had on Deerfield Pier & Beach😬
    Used to have a place 2 blocks south on Hillsboro.
    I used to live(hangout) at Flanigan’s across the street?
    🤷🏻‍♀️ Basically free drinks🍹🍸 🥃 & food 😏

Whiskey Joes Tampa - I go there quite abit.
    Circle Waterfront - Apollo Beach
    And Clearwater few on beach and few rooftop places with ok views??

• skibum609
    4 years ago
    Flanigans brings back memories as my brother and I used to go there for mussels and beers. They didn't last year due to the pandemic Mr.O, but they did up until last year. No idea what the future holds.
  • ATACdawg
    4 years ago
    Two places in Dealer, MD that both are on opposite sides of the water overlooking the marinas:

Dockside, located adjacent to Herrington Harbour North marina and Skipper's Pier on the other side. Both places offer outstanding food and great drinks either inside or outside.

Can't wait for the boat to go back in the water!
  • ATACdawg
    4 years ago
    Damn autocorrect. Dealer should have read Deale.
  • 48-Cowboy
    4 years ago
    The best water front dining Ibhave ever experienced is in Amorillo TX. They have tue best seafood ever at https://g.co/kgs/6dpKZ2

They have the best catfish on the state and you can eat it with a glass of wster in front of you! Make sure you try thr hush puppies too!
  • 48-Cowboy
    4 years ago
    I forfot to mention Freddies had to put bars on the windows because the catfish os so good. They kept fetting broke into and all the catfish and hushpuppies kept getting stolen.

Yeaaaa hooooooo, we do it better in Texas
  • crosscheck
    4 years ago
    Flanigan's is another favorite of mine as well, though I usually go to the Pompano location which is not on the water, though it's not far. Wings, ribs, and pitchers. Hard to go wrong.
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    Cross we've always liked the one in Weston best.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion