tuscl

We don't need no stinkin' masks

rickdugan
Verified and Certifiable Super-Reviewer
One of the nice parts of Florida's opening is the elimination of mask fines statewide. This effectively gutted all local mask ordinances as it made them unenforceable.

On my way in to a local club last night, I told the door guy that I'd be right back since I forgot something in my car. He responded with "no worries, you don't need a mask anymore." Now I already knew this and was heading back for my money rather than a mask, but it was cool to hear anyway.

It is a great time to be a Floridian.

24 comments

• RandomMember
    4 years ago
    "We don't need no stinkin' masks...if you're a nutty and malignant narcissist."

FTFY
  • rickdugan
    4 years ago
    ^ Pussy.
  • Richard_Head
    4 years ago
    Get back to us in about 3 weeks.
  • rickdugan
    4 years ago
    In my local clubs last night there was barely a mask in sight. I saw a couple of older guys wearing them, which makes sense, but otherwise nada. Also full capacity allowed now.

It is a good time to club in FL.
  • Cashman1234
    4 years ago
    This is a poor attempt to save Social Security from bankruptcy. It might actually work!
  • RandomMember
    4 years ago
    I swear to God this article appeared after my post above:

"Some covid-19 rule-breakers could be narcissists, experts say. Here’s how to approach them."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle…

According to psychologists, that mind-set is commonly observed in narcissists, who characteristically lack empathy, have high levels of entitlement and grandiosity, and chronically seek validation, admiration and control. Together with Machiavellianism and psychopathy, narcissism makes up one-third of the “Dark Triad,” personality patterns often linked to “a lack of niceness,” said W. Keith Campbell, a psychology professor at the University of Georgia.

“If you’re narcissistic, you’re going to do what you want,” said Campbell, the author of the upcoming book “The New Science of Narcissism.” “If what you want isn’t the same as what the guidelines are, you’re not going to do the guidelines.”
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    Narcissistic would also apply to people who think they are so fucking important that everyone else need change their behavior to accommodate the inane hysteria. All the fake news people at Wapo did was use a failed graduate thesis as backing. When I get Covid you can bet I will be volunteering for a lot of progressive causes
  • rattdog
    4 years ago
    translation: dugan's reaction to the virus, despite catching it once already, signals that he's a wannabe gangster. a capo dei capi in his own mind.

i read that he has kids and is married. just wondering: would he feel terrible at all if he infected someone in his household? or would he just react, "aww c'mon don't be a fucking pussy. if i can deal with it so then can you. suck it up?"
  • rickdugan
    4 years ago
    ===> "translation: dugan's reaction to the virus, despite catching it once already, signals that he's a wannabe gangster. a capo dei capi in his own mind."

Could be. Or it could be that you're just a frightened sissy afraid of his own shadow and curled up in a fetal position at the mere whiff of a virus that doesn't kill almost anyone under 50 and really not many under 60 absent other comorbidities.

How long do you intend to be a pussy for anyway? Another 6 months? A year? What will you do if it takes another 18 months for a vaccine to come to market, hide in your home for another year and a half?
  • rickdugan
    4 years ago
    Btw mousedog, my entire family is active again. My kids are in school and activities and we all participate in social events, kids' parties, etc. So at this point the dreaded virus, which is not especially dangerous to my family given our ages and relative health, could come in from anywhere. But the living have to keep on living unless we want to raise our children like frightened mice.
  • rattdog
    4 years ago
    once again i will ask, "would he feel terrible at all if he infected someone in his household?"

months ago, the bars and beaches were allowed to be open. i saw it on tv and the 'net. tons, and o mean tons of girls milling around. would i love to have been a part of that scene? fuck yeah!!!!

let's say i was there. i'm just like everyone else - not wearing a mask and mingling with as many as girls as possible. i'll make up a number and say there are 500 people in that setting. here's the thing: there are most likely that there are 496-498 people in that crowd that are not infected. what i'm trying to avoid is those 2-4 that are.

to be infected by the flu or the common cold is one thing. this covid shit is next level, and at the age of 50 with slight health issues i highly advised myself to not to engage.

if all of the above makes me a pussy then so be it: i'm a fucking pussy. and since you actually did catch it and overcame it then that makes you 'THEE MAN" yeah? you can toot like you're hot shit. we all gotta aspire to be like you.
  • rickdugan
    4 years ago
    ^ By asking the same question twice, you obviously missed the points about my entire family being active or their almost nonexistent risk of serious issues. FL has been open for months already, with Phase 3 just being a final small step. We are already very active in a number of venues and if it comes into the house now it would likely be impossible to pinpoint where it came from. At some point the living have to keep living, especially when there are kids involved.

Fair enough on your own caution given your health issues, but don't try to impose your own fears upon others by assuming that they need to be as frightened as you. Each person has to make his/her own assessment of relative risk and then weigh the risk/reward factors when determining how they behave.

As Gov. DeSantis very succinctly put it when talking about the reality that COVID will likely be around for long time: “So people should just understand it is something we are going to have to deal with. But doing that from a fetal position, where society flounders, people are out of work, kids aren’t in school, that is not going to work.”
  • rattdog
    4 years ago
    actually no - i didn't miss any points at all. you and your family have already commenced to living life as usual before the corona outbreak. for that y'all should be commended for that. life shall go on.

gov desantis - same guy who enabled lots of college kids to get infected and spread illness. gov desantis says fla ready for stage 3, covid is not going anywhere anytime soon... yada bada yada... allllllright i got it!!!!

you're a gambler. you're playing deflective politics.

i try again for a 3rd time - admire me for my persistence.

"would he feel terrible at all if he infected someone in his household?"

let me change some of this: how would you feel if, god forbid, the girl you picked for some evening's adult activities infected you with this bug? then you in turn, even with ultra precautions, somehow got a family member infected?

common sense tells me you would feel like shit, hell, you would feel like beyond absolute shit.

would you express any regrets if anything unfortunate like that should happen?
  • Daddillac
    4 years ago
    LOL... Rick Dugan calling anyone else a pussy is rich with irony

What fucking tool
  • rickdugan
    4 years ago
    Mousedog, your question is irrelevant because it could come from any number of places now - we are living normally again. If it comes not my house I would likely have no way of knowing where it came from, but it is unlikely to be from me since I've already had it. If we were overly concerned about the virus seriously hurting a family member, we wouldn't be living this way in the first place.
  • nicespice
    4 years ago
    Just pointing out masks are more effective at preventing a covid positive person from transmitting the virus to somebody not wearing a mask, than it is for a covid negative person wearing a mask to avoid the virus if the negative individual is wearing a mask and the Covid-positive person isn’t.

I’m not saying anything that is groundbreaking here. I just don’t understand why there’s still an argument that wearing masks is for more fearful individuals. As opposed to just being socially conscious.

That being said: as soon as wearing masks during dances is allowed again, I’m absolutely not wearing a mask. And the couple of customers who are 70+ that I know wouldn’t be very happy with me if I was still wearing one if I didn’t have to.
  • rattdog
    4 years ago
    "as soon as wearing masks during dances is allowed again, I’m absolutely not wearing a mask."

huh?

clubs are enforcing this? i thought it was optional.
  • nicespice
    4 years ago
    ^The health department in Denver has been brutal. They have gotten multiple clubs shut down already. Yes the clubs can re-open after a time but it’s a PITA
  • Dave_Anderson
    4 years ago
    Of all the idiotic, moronic stupidity of this entire scamdemic hysteria, the face diapers have to be the absolute most ludicrous of all.

Does anyone seriously think that putting a little napkin over your face is going to do anything other than interfere with your own breathing and collect germs?

I still can't believe a majority of people continue to go on with this non-sense.
  • Dave_Anderson
    4 years ago
    Not driving a car is more effective at preventing pedestrians and other drivers from being killed in an accident that protecting you as a driver. So don't drive to save other people's lives! If you chose to drive you are responsible for the 40,000 people who die in vehicle related accidents every year.

Thats basically the "logic" of these arguments.
  • datinman
    4 years ago
    We need to get back to as normal as we can. Society has to function. The same people that want to continue to shelter in place would be starving right now if tens of thousands weren't willing to risk their asses to put food in the groceries. However, If masks and social distancing got Florida to the point of phase 3, it doesn't really make sense to completely stop what was working.
    As far as masks go, most studies suggest they help reduce aerosols in indoor environs. They may also reduce initial viral load which seems to be associated with disease severity. I liken masks to cigarette smoking. You may have the right to smoke, but I have the right to not have to breathe in your second hand smoke. If your indoors, please wear a mask.
    Finally, while most people exposed to Sars-Cov-2 survive, some don't and some are forever damaged. I always ask myself, Am I in better shape than Nick Cordero? You know, that 41 year old Broadway dancer with no comorbidity whose wife is a fitness model/trainer and spent 90+ days in ICU suffering lungs destroyed, blood clots, leg amputation, sepsis and then death. I am glad Covid is not as deadly as SARS or MERS, but I know first hand this is not a scam.
  • Huntsman
    4 years ago
    ^Good comment Justin.
  • lurkingdog
    4 years ago
    The mask concept is really not that difficult to grasp; wearing a mask helps to protect OTHERS. Why do the nurses, surgeons, anesthesiologists, and technicians wear mask in the OR? To help protect the patient undergoing surgery — it’s not for their personal protection. The N-95 does confer considerably more protection in both directions but the vast populous do not wear these. Wearing a mask is really a minimal personal inconvenience in the spirit of helping to keep others safe. Those choosing not to wear a mask clearly state their thoughts on this manner
  • DenimChicken
    4 years ago
    Been going to my club of choice, no mask required, since mid June.

Welcome to the party
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion