tuscl

How to open stuff back up? Here’s a policy suggestion.

I just accompanied my mom to an upscale grocery store in a nicer part of town. Didn’t actually go in because the line outside the door was waaay too long. Just trying to get groceries, not a freaking festival. So I had the chance to see how a bunch of people looked. Despite the media talk of “save the masks for the healthcare professionals!!”—saw PLENTY of N95 and surgical masks and gloves. Good lord, is a cloth one not good enough or something?

Drove through an area less nice. On the kind of street full of dollar stores, pawn shops, independent mechanics, and nail salons. The bus driver on a route that stays in that area had no mask, not even a cloth one. I’m sure that bus is going to be a guaranteed Petri dish because it’s almost impossible to stay six feet away.

As far as I’m concerned, the virus is going to spread no matter what. Because the people who absolutely *should* be wearing it the most (including hospital workers)—thanks to essential employment and having no choice but to be in contact with people— are nonetheless the lower priority for actually wearing it.

Not surprised, and not complaining. It is what it is.

Here’s a new practical policy I wish could be introduced. Nonessential businesses are allowed to open back up, if they think they will be able to make enough money from it. Make it mandatory to have somebody at the door checking individuals for their previous year tax return. If you made less $25k/yr or less, you are allowed in the door. And check the addresses on the tax returns as well, and don’t allow individuals from better zip codes in the door either. Can’t be allowing those with part-time jobs bringing that stuff back home into better neighborhoods either.

NO masks, gloves, but or hand sanitizer whatsoever are allowed. Building may only be allowed to be sanitized 1x/day.

Rip off that band aid and let lower-income people get the brunt of the curve. Let *them* all die faster. Less individuals to give out unemployment or other social services anyways.

Let that wave go more quick until the hospitals are just slightly over capacity. Start allowing more individuals in unessential businesses. But now for individuals who make up to 30k. Then 35k. Then 40k. Just keep going with it.

By the time it reaches upwards, the curve should be flattened well enough.

Is what I’m saying silly? Possibly. But hey, I suspect it’s less silly than the oddball mantra “the more people who comply with staying home, the *faster* everything can open back up and virus will be gone!!!!”

🙂😷

11 comments

• doctorevil
    4 years ago
    I think this very modest proposal makes a lot of sense.
  • loper
    4 years ago
    I'm hoping that this is an attempt at humor or sarcasm. It's not particularly funny to me.
  • nicespice
    4 years ago
    ^ Hmm, now that I think about it, you’re probably far from alone. 🤔 I did take a jab at upper middle class and rich people pretty hard there with my cracks at mask hoarding.. (Though to be fair, I’d be perfectly willing to make fun of lower income people over stuff as well)

I apologize, with the same amount of sincerity that desertscrub would give.

• PaulDrake
    4 years ago
    Watch out nicespice someone might flag your inappropriate comments.
  • bang69
    4 years ago
    I agree with nicespice
  • RamPaige
    4 years ago
    There's a Korean supermarket near my mom's apartment here in queens, they offer sanitary spray for you wipe the handle bar of your cart, and one time plastic gloves for customers that wasn't wearing it, social distancing of customers waiting in line, and limited the amount of customers allowed in the store at a time.
  • Musterd21
    4 years ago
    Nice- you’re mean! I love you anyway!!!! 😵😵
  • Slickwillie
    4 years ago
    Silly? - No. Heartless? - Yes. Got my surgical type mask at an electronics/appliance store open to the public, so why not? Easier than making one. Don't know if it really qualified as a surgical mask but looked like one and fit the purpose regardless.
  • Electronman
    4 years ago
    Too mean!

I might be more supportive of this policy if you suggested that Trump and his supporters should be the first test wave to see if the virus spreads again as we relax social distancing.
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    I am wearing a hair shirt as a sign of my remorse at working hard ............
  • WILLYSGOTAWOMAN
    4 years ago
    I think Nice is gently pointing out how this is actually what is already happening. How much money do cashiers make?
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion