tuscl

Are gun stores 'essential'?

jackslash
Detroit strip clubs
Wednesday, March 25, 2020 8:19 PM
With the shut down of non-essential businesses to slow the spread of coronavirus, some states have designated gun stores as essential while others have not. Michigan, I'm happy to say, has deemed gun stores essential and so they are still open (unlike strip clubs). I'm thinking about going to the firing range tomorrow. I want to be prepared when the zombies show up. What do you think? Are gun stores essential? New York Times article: Are Guns ‘Essential’ in the Virus Era? Americans Stock Up as States Differ Coronavirus anxiety has contributed to a boom in gun sales, but some states have ordered dealers to close alongside other businesses. By Dan Levin March 25, 2020 Updated 8:56 p.m. ET Groceries. Gasoline. Medical care. Marijuana, in some places. All have been designated essential to society in more than a dozen states that have ordered many other businesses to close. But what about guns? Firearm and ammunition sales have soared in recent weeks, so clearly, some Americans want them. A gun industry association is lobbying federal and state governments to categorize firearm manufacturers and dealers as critical infrastructure, complaining that F.B.I. background checks are slowing things down as more people try to purchase weapons. But officials have been split over whether gun stores and ammunition dealers can remain open alongside pharmacies, gas stations and laundromats, leading to confusion and legal challenges as at least 19 states have issued some form of stay-at-home orders. In Ohio, Illinois and Michigan, gun stores have been deemed essential. In New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts, they have not. In Los Angeles, where long lines of customers have been stretching out the door of some gun shops over the past few weeks, the county sheriff ordered his deputies to make sure they were closed after 10 million residents were ordered to stay at home starting last weekend. But on Tuesday, after the county’s top lawyer said the shops could stay open, the sheriff reversed his decision. The patchwork of policies and shifting interpretations have highlighted the question of what is truly an essential business during the pandemic, with lobbyists and guns rights advocates arguing that even a public health emergency shouldn’t restrict the Second Amendment. “People want to exercise their God-given right to bear arms and protect their families,” said Mark Oliva, a spokesman for the National Shooting Sports Foundation, the gun industry association lobbying for special protection for dealers and manufacturers. But advocates for stricter gun safety measures argue that a run on gun stores could itself pose a public health concern if new buyers aren’t trained properly, new guns aren’t stored safely and background checks aren’t completed. “Guns will not make Americans safer in the face of Covid-19,” said John Feinblatt, president of Everytown for Gun Safety. Underscoring the concerns, several recent gun-related incidents have been linked to fears surrounding the pandemic. Police in Alpharetta, Ga., on Sunday arrested a man they accused of pointing a gun at two women wearing medical masks and gloves because he feared he might contract the coronavirus. A man in New Mexico was charged last week with the accidental shooting death of his 13-year-old cousin with a gun he told police he was carrying “for protection” amid the outbreak. And in Maine, a man with a felony conviction who claimed he needed guns to protect himself during the outbreak was charged with illegally possessing a firearm. As some states have moved to close gun shops alongside other businesses, they have faced quick legal challenges. In Pennsylvania, gun rights advocates filed lawsuits to block Gov. Tom Wolf’s order that labeled gun stores as nonessential. Although a divided state Supreme Court dismissed the legal challenge, the governor on Tuesday allowed gun shops to reopen with protocols on social distancing. On Monday, a federal lawsuit in New Jersey challenged Gov. Phil Murphy’s order for gun stores to close, which also prompted the State Police to shut down the state’s background check website. Demand for firearms has been growing throughout the coronavirus outbreak, with widespread reports of firearms and survival gear flying off the shelves, including in California, New York, Washington State, Alabama and Ohio. Data from the F.B.I. show a sizable increase in background checks for gun purchases since the start of the year, though other factors, such as the national political campaign and gun control efforts by some state legislatures, might have also played a role. But as states began preparing for lockdowns on March 16, criminal background checks soared 300 percent compared with the same date in 2019, according to federal data shared with the National Shooting Sports Foundation. Since late February, roughly twice as many background checks have been conducted as during the same period last year, the group said. The F.B.I. would not comment on those figures, but said in a statement that the background check system remained fully operational and asked for the public’s patience “during this period of national emergency.” When Illinois issued an order on March 20 to close essential businesses, it included gun shops among the exemptions allowed to stay open. Since then, Second Amendment Sports, a gun shop and shooting range in McHenry, Ill., has been busy, said the store’s owner, Bert Irslinger Jr., who called sales over the past 10 days “the best we’ve ever had.” Registration for shooting courses has also been high, he said. “We saw classes filling up fast, so we offered other dates and times so we could keep classes small” to follow social distancing guidelines, Mr. Irslinger said. “We’re no different than any other industry where practice makes perfect.”

30 comments

• CJKent (Banned)
    4 years ago
    NO
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    On the surface I would say no - but then again a person should not lose their ability to protect themselves and their home
  • THE CHAINDOG
    4 years ago
    I have not bought a gun in 7 years, But trust me I have enough.
  • Clubber
    4 years ago
    I have no need for a gun store at present. If I were to run out of ammunition, we'd all be F'ed by that time!
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    All I know if the CoronVirus breaks into my house I'm shooting it - for real dat!
  • shadowcat
    4 years ago
    You might need a gun to protect your supply of TP.
  • CrimsonCaravan
    4 years ago
    Here in Los Angeles, the Sheriff's order deeming gun stores as non-essential has been overturned. Gun stores are open once again in LA and are considered essential. Personally I think gun stores are absolutely essential. The right to protect yourself and your family should be universal. And also Los Angeles County has recently released 1,700 inmates to lessen the jail population due to Covid-19. I don't know about you, but the idea of criminals roaming the streets freely in a grave situation like this pandemic seems like a recipe for disaster. Criminals are opportunists and a time like this is prime for them. You cannot and should not leave your safety and the safety of your loved ones up to chance
  • bubba267
    4 years ago
    Clubber....same. Difference, I don't have a really good stick. And to the original question, yes, based on constitutional basis. I don't think we are headed there but some are already concerned about government overreach in some of the emergency Executive Orders.
  • bang69
    4 years ago
    HELL YES THEY ARE!!!!!!!!!!
  • Warrior15
    4 years ago
    I'd say they are about as essential as liquor stores .
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    You need to have sufficient quantities of fresh ammunition on hand, to protect your supply of toilet paper !
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    When Democrats start killing people to steal their food and possessions guns will come in handy. The Democrats will call it gun barrell communism. What is no eesential at all and shouls be banned is snack foods, cakes, pies, cookies, crackers and bread.
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    ^ They’ll need to pry that deep fried Twinkie from your cold dead hands 😂
  • Clubber
    4 years ago
    bubba, With most all the low life A-holes, just the sound or sight of any weapon makes them piss their pants!
  • MackTruck
    4 years ago
    Yes they are. But you should have already had your stash before this happened
  • Eve
    4 years ago
    Judging from the fact that all the gun stores in my area have been getting sold out on hand guns, ARs, and most of the ammo every single moment they restock, I think a lot of people here believe it's essential. Especially since I'm hearing "protection from robbery" in one ear and "martial law" in the other.
  • Longball300
    4 years ago
    I concur they are deemed essential by the public but, I'm not sure where they would fit in the Critical Infrastructure categories as stated by the following: [view link] My job falls under both Critical Manufacturing and Transportation.
  • nicespice
    4 years ago
    Well I found out that in Austin, “pool cleaners” is an essential business as well. It’s an odd definition of essential, but I’m not going to protest. 😝
  • whodey
    4 years ago
    Gun stores are essential and are protected by the US Constitution as it is necessary to be able to be able to defend yourself, your family, your home and most importantly your TP. Jack, you may want to call ahead to see if your shooting range is open. I know all of the ranges near me in Ohio are closed because they are considered recreational.
  • MackTruck
    4 years ago
    Good because Crazyjoe desteoyed a pool last week! Fuck you Joe!
  • nicespice
    4 years ago
    ^ Do you know if it was RandomMember’s pool for making classist comments?
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    ^ You better not piss in my pool or I’ll send icee loco to swim in your toilet.
  • misterorange
    4 years ago
    Are gun stores essential? Well, that depends. Essential to society and our constitutional rights? YES. Essential to me personally? NOT REALLY because I have more guns than I need and I've been steadily building my ammo supply for years. I never actually thought I'd see total anarchy in my lifetime, but I always believed it was a remote possibility. Suddenly it almost seems probable.
  • san_jose_guy_
    4 years ago
    We have no wall with Canada. Most countries have no such walls. Most violent crime is committed against people by people they know, not strangers. Trump originally floated this idea of a wall, just to get elected. It panders to racism. Now he fights for it, in order to keep his far right base of pundits behind him. SJG
  • MackTruck
    4 years ago
    Nicespice asked "^ Do you know if it was RandomMember’s pool for making classist comments?" ^^^ It may have been lmao
  • NinaBambina
    4 years ago
    Guns are a 2nd amendment right. Furthermore, some people still do rely on guns to hunt and eat. Also, self-defense is essential. So if I had to argue it, it would be easy for me to establish that gun stores still fall under the "essential" category (even if most people going there aren't going it out of necessity, let's be real).
  • StPaul101
    4 years ago
    I would say yes they are, I would also say if a gun store wanted to close during this time that is their right too. At this time we're seeing more prisons/jails letting out inmates in an effort to reduce the chances of a widespread infection happening. Also, law enforcement agencies are not arresting criminals that comment petty crimes like theft, vandalism, robbery etc. This could create a slippery slope, in that as criminals find they can get away with more, they will continue down that path. Most importantly, the US Supreme Court has already ruled that the Police are not required to protect the individual, the police are citizens employed by local govt(s) to enforce laws and ensure the general publics safety ( 1 person is not considered the general public). As more officers stay at home, get sick or don't want to expose themselves you will see less officers on the street patrolling. We already have some precincts closing their offices to the public and reducing what they will go out for calls on, its up to you to protect yourself, its a personal choice if you want to own a firearm that each of us get to make, thats what makes this county so great. Keep safe everyone.
  • Clubber
    4 years ago
    I had a fellow stop by the house out where I live a few days ago. He is hauling around his backhoe and digging big holes. I had him dig a 100'x100'x6' hole. Plenty of room for anyone that tries anything at my home.
  • TrentonPhantom
    4 years ago
    I got a good deal of some .45's. More as a deterrent than to actual use. Coupon code is below. [view link]
  • Nidan111
    4 years ago
    Ummm. YES! That is all.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion