tuscl

Ohio Bill 16

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 7:33 AM
Well, according to the Columbus Dispatch this morning, the new "6 foot bubble" law has been passed. I don't recall if there was an effective date or when enforcement would begin. But, looks like the end of my clubbing in Ohio. Watch out Indiana, Kentuck, and Memphis!!

8 comments

• chandler
    17 years ago
    It's been changed to from a six-foot rule to a no-touch rule, set to take effect in late August according to the news story quoted in the other thread on this bill. Take heart - a lot of jurisdictions have no touch rules that never get enforced.
  • minnow
    17 years ago
    To all OH residents: Go to stopthehouse.com, then to link to Gov. Strickland, and send email in favor of him vetoing bill. May be farting in the wind, but at least I'll go down swinging.
  • Book Guy
    17 years ago
    I say patronize all establishments exactly six inches across the state line from Ohio. Ontario, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Kentucky, and other nearby locations should benefit. Try to spend on such things as will benefit the tax base -- hotel rooms come to mind; of course alcohol (bottle stores and in-club sales); and gasoline (buy it all out-of-state). Better yet, buy all three in one trip and consume them all at the same time! :)
  • chandler
    17 years ago
    Buckeyes already come to Michigan for the strip clubs. And I'm afraid Ontario's only border with Ohio is the one that cuts through the middle of Lake Erie.
  • yndy
    17 years ago

what happens...first challenged in Ohio courts. then appealed all the way to US Surpreme Court?

Association promises legal challenge to state 'stripper bill'

Legislation forces adult entertainment venues to close at certain times and institutes a no-touch rule.

By Laura A. Bischoff

Staff Writer

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

COLUMBUS — Hours after the Ohio Senate put the finishing touches on the so-called "stripper bill," Gov. Ted Strickland said he will let the legislation become law without his signature — one of three options the governor has under the Ohio Constitution.

Adult businesses promised to wage a legal challenge.

"This bill is so extreme that it could make handshakes and pats on the back illegal,'' said Angelina Spencer, executive director of the National Association of Club Executives. "We're going to court, and we're going to win.''

The measure would force strip clubs, adult bookstores, peep shows and other adult entertainment venues to close between midnight and 6 a.m. Those with liquor licenses could stay open until last call, but nudity would be banned after midnight. Partial nudity would be allowed, but dancers would have to conform to the existing state law by wearing at least G-strings and pasties.

It also institutes a no-touch rule between patrons and nude or partially nude dancers. It would be a first-degree misdemeanor to touch someone's clothed or unclothed private parts and a fourth-degree misdemeanor to touch other body parts.

Phil Burress of Citizens for Community Values, the Cincinnati-based group that collected 120,000 voter signatures to put the issue before the General Assembly, said, "It's not everything we wanted, but it moves the ball down the field quite a bit."

Strickland press secretary Keith Dailey said the governor did not find constitutional flaws in the bill, which received wide support in the House and Senate.

"The governor believes that the most important issues facing Ohio are job creation, improving the education system and expanding access to health care. He is looking forward to bringing the issues back to those issues of great importance to Ohioans," Dailey said.

Contact this reporter at (614) 224-1624 or [email protected].
    Sponsored links
  • ThisOldManPlayed1
    17 years ago
    Highlights of the bill with a little comedy added.

It also institutes a no-touch rule between patrons and nude or partially nude dancers. It would be a first-degree misdemeanor to touch someone's clothed or unclothed private parts and a fourth-degree misdemeanor to touch other body parts.------ Does this mean that I can't shake the hand of my fellow patron I meed in the club??? Does this mean I get arrested for pulling my zipper down when I go to the bathroom???

Phil Burress of Citizens for Community Values, the Cincinnati-based group that collected 120,000 voter signatures to put the issue before the General Assembly, said, "It's not everything we wanted, but it moves the ball down the field quite a bit."------- Would Phil Burress like to transform us all back to VIRGINS???

"The governor believes that the most important issues facing Ohio are job creation, improving the education system and expanding access to health care. He is looking forward to bringing the issues back to those issues of great importance to Ohioans," Dailey said.------ Job creation???? HAH! He's taking THOUSANDS of jobs away on this bill!!!!

Well, I may be STUCK in this friggin' state for awhile, but Michigan, Indiana, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, and Kentucky aren't that far away!

• minnow
    17 years ago
    Right On, Bones(and welcome back to "Happy Laps" Land). Perhaps(likely) court system is next arena for OH clubs. Whats next for Mr. Buress? More border states? If this thing isn't defeated in the courts, CCV, etal will only be emboldened to expand effort to other states. Does "you can run, but you can't hide" come to mind?
  • Book Guy
    17 years ago
    Who thinks this is part and parcel of the New Right's agenda for America -- eliminating our cultural and (formerly) legal separation of church and state? If you voted right wing for their economic policies or their strength in Iraq, do you consider yourself partly a culprit of this kind of change in strip-club rules?
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion