tuscl

Myrtle Beach bike week

I read today to my amusement that many people vacationing at Myrtle Beach were surprised to find out it is Bike week with thousands of motorcycle enthusiasts meeting at the beach. The streets are filled with motorcycles. I know because I accidently visited the beach at this time of year before I knew about it. The Myrtle Beach chamber of commerce had 300 to 400 complaints last year. It's easy enough to find out by searching the internet for it but I remembered thanks to a friendly neighborhood dancer I know working at the beach who gave me a calendar. I just call her spidey woman, well not really.

The paper went on to quote someone: I wouldn't take grandma to the beach during this event. I found this amusing since I know some relatives who were thinking about visiting before I told them it was bike week. I never had any trouble but you do have to get used to motorcycles everywhere.

In case anyone is interested, I found a site here
http://www.istc.org/sisp/index.htm?fx=ev…
that indicated over 200,000 bikers go to Bike week at Myrtle Beach. That's a lot of motorcycles.

3 comments

• casualguy
    17 years ago
    This site is easier to type
    http://www.myrtlebeachbikeweek.com/
    I didn't realize it was the 3rd largest motorcycle event in the US.
  • FONDL
    17 years ago
    There's a big one in Daytona Beach in February - know because a lot of them then move on to Key West. I wouldn't be surprised that's the biggest one. I also know there's a big one in upstate NY in the summer - I know people who go every year.
  • casualguy
    17 years ago
    I remember someone going to one in Daytona. He had some interesting pics of the event. Unfortunately here in South Carolina, I keep reading about accidents on motorcycles where someone died again. That would really suck to die because some idiot pulled out in front of you. That's a big reason I'll stick to a car. Too many idiots or very slow drivers (slow in more ways than one) are on the road.

Then we have the rude drivers who might think they are being polite by holding up traffic while a light is green by letting one person slowly pull into a lane. They get through the light but everyone behind them has to wait another 5 to 10 minutes for the light to turn green again. That's what you call being polite to one person but rude to everyone else.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion