tuscl

Molecular Beam Epitaxy, 3d Printing, and Nano Technology -> Elemental Creation T

san_jose_guy
money was invented for handing to women, but buying dances is a chump's game
Molecular Beam Epitaxy, 3d Printing, and Nano Technology have developed so that we now have Elemental Creation Technology. Most anything you would want can be produced in replicators and provided to you at very little cost.

Robots deliver you 200 lbs of groceries each week, and they load them into the correct places in your cupboards and refrigerator.

You don't have to wash clothes, as each quarter robots deliver you a big pile of new ones, along with weekly underwear packets.

You are delivered a new car every quarter. And each quarter a robot helicopter removes your house, while another one hovers ready to install your new one.

Using the power of the sun, CO2 is collected back from the air and converted into gasoline. Then while you sleep, robots come out and top of the tanks of all of your vehicles.

You can get boats and airplanes. And everything is recycled down to the atomic level.

The only things which cost much money are those bearing designer brand names. Its not that this stuff really costs any more to produce, its just that the appeal of the name is largely in the social status, and that is derived from the advertising. Advertising still costs money.

So what kinds of jobs will there still be?

Preachers, Prostitutes, Pimps, Pawn Brokers, Psychotherapists, Psychiatrists, Prison Guards, Police, Probations and Parole Officers, Motivational Speakers, Recovery Program Leaders, Financial Literacy and Investment Advisors, and Grave Diggers.

And what becomes of the majority of people whom this leaves completely out of the economy?

What types of arguments are deployed to legitimate such an unworkable system?

Traditional Family Values, Anti-Feminism, Libertarian Anti-Government Anti-Tax, Social Darwinism, Religious Fundamentalism, Motivationalism and Financial Literacy?

(And of course, how much different is this from the present state of affairs, and what are the things which make it completely unworkable?)

SJG

15 comments

• Uprightcitizen
    5 years ago
    Scientific facts
  • CC99
    5 years ago
    Its really just a matter of time before they becomes reality. It'll take decades, likely wouldn't be possible until sometime in the next century but I do believe we will see this happen someday.
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    How much different is the present situation today though?

https://www.amazon.com/Critical-Path-Kiy…

Buckminster Fuller's primary argument was that we already have the productive ability to take care of every single person better than even royalty lived in past centuries. We developed this technology primarily for killing people. But it can be converted from killingry into livingry.

The reason though that this abundance remains invisible is that we still demand that everyone prove that they can earn a living.

SJG

Foghat, playlist
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDDidj51…
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    5 years ago
    Molecular beam epitaxy was cutting edge tech at its peak ... in 1990. Now it's not. I mean, it's practically vintage and quaint in the field of molecule painting.

Also, I'm ignoring this entire thread, because it's just you playing voyeur intellectual, without the actual qualified intellectualism.

Which is to say, it's exactly like all of your other navel-gazing threads.
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    What about a world where all needs are provided for, but there are no jobs?

SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    When hard needs are provided for with very little labor, and the rest is just going into very soft needs, and when taxes are not very progressive and so there is money which can create bubbles of over production and over production, we have to assume that there will be less and less livable wage employment, and that the boom and bust cycles will be extreme.

We will have reached the Crisis in Capitalism.

SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    https://www.jacobinmag.com/

Peter Frase
    Four Futures: Life After Capitalism (Jacobin) Paperback – October 11, 2016

https://www.amazon.com/Four-Futures-Afte…

SJG
  • Uprightcitizen
    5 years ago
    CMI the books in the asylum are donated publications from another era.
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    ^^^^^^ And upright, your John Birch Society books are also quite out of date.

SJG
  • skibum609
    5 years ago
    You seem happy in your mental illness.
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    ^^^^^^^ and you Skibum seem happy with your crazy ideas, calling people "Fucking millenial losers".

I will be happy when you are 6' under.

SJG
  • datinman
    5 years ago
    I know I'm going to regret this, but if "Most anything you would want can be produced in replicators and provided to you at very little cost." why would pawn broker be a viable job?
  • skibum609
    5 years ago
    Sorry you are so butt hurt about being a loser SJG, but you brought it upon yourself by deciding to be a useless leech. As an environmentalist I do not approve of wasting tillable earth on graves so depending on my wife's mood I will either be cremated and placed in an urn, or placed in a fe blue trash bags on a Thursday and placed out at the curb with the rest of the trash.

I am only 62. Longevity runs on both sides of my family, with 4 close relativesd living to 99+, so you better be under 30 if you think you will outlive me. Not a damn thing going right for, but at least you have power our=tages and wildfires to make me laugh.
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    Remember skibum609, Gun Barrel Communism within the next 10 years is a real possibility.

SJG
  • SJGTHREATENSWOMEN
    3 years ago
    ESS JAY GEE
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion