tuscl

Sweet Caroline

londonguy
Breathe, breathe in the air
Sports crowds at Stadia the world over sing Sweet Caroline, but what are those words that the crowds chant that are added to the lyrics? I can never make them out. Something connected to one of the teams playing at that time? Thanks

10 comments

• mark94
    5 years ago
    I don’t know anything about custom lyrics, but here is all the background

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-red…
  • AnonymousJim
    5 years ago
    It's nothing specific.

They go "bah-bah-bah" to give extra emphasis to what the music does.

Then they shout back "so good! so good! so good!" after "good times never feel so good." No reason other than to shout something three times to the beat.

English soccer songs are 100 times more interesting than most American sports chants.
  • DandyDan
    5 years ago
    I thought it only became popular after the Red Sox won the World Series in 2004. Not sure why that song, though.
  • azdd
    5 years ago
    Penn State University stopped playing Sweet Caroline in their stadium after their child molestation scandal, because they felt the line “Touching me, touching you” would be offensive.
  • Warrior15
    5 years ago
  • skibum609
    5 years ago
    You are correct Dan. No idea why the song became popular here.
  • rickthelion
    5 years ago
    I will reveal the truth: it is a rick experiment (or ricksperiment, if you will).

We wanted to test whether a bunch of stupid hairless apes would sing like morons. Do you want to know the answer? I’ll make it simple for you since many of you are damn dirty apes. The answer is yes, you will sing like idiots. ROAR!!!
  • londonguy
    5 years ago
    ^ pmsl
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    Of course the Ricks don't think it matters who wins elections and what directions national policies go. They seek destruction. And they aren't really alive in the first place.

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/57/ac/9c/57ac9…

The Ricks wait for the Imperial Overlord. But they know that this is also what the hairless apes wait for.

SJG
  • CJKent (Banned)
    5 years ago
    According to Google Wikipedia:

“In a 2007 interview, Diamond stated the inspiration for his song was John F. Kennedy's daughter, Caroline, who was eleven years old at the time it was released.

Diamond sang the song to her at her 50th birthday celebration in 2007.

On December 21, 2011, in an interview on CBS's The Early Show, Diamond said that a magazine cover photo of Caroline Kennedy as a young child on a horse with her parents created an image in his mind, and the rest of the song came together about five years after seeing the picture.

However, in 2014 Diamond said the song was about his then-wife Marcia, but he needed a three-syllable name to fit the melody.”
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion